South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Chassis Tuning

Chassis Tuning It's All About The Twisties

Old 23-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Bronze Member

Default Recommend me someone good for geometry...

Hay all,

I live in Eastbourne area and work in Hastings, could any of you suggest to me someone/somewhere/someplace good to have a 4 wheel alignment/tracking etc done? Would it be good to have somewhere who uses the hunter system?

I dont mind traveling a bit if its worth it I suppose.

I just put new tyres on my 2002 uk spec wrx last week and wanted to have this done- the shop that fitted my tyres did my front end tracking but that was it as that was all they had the facilities to do.

I would like to have a full adjustment including front camber (probably going to run it around -1 degree or something?). Let me know if you have any suggestions or general recommendations.

FYI I am running stock suspension other than a front strut, 270 bhp with remap and normal mods for the typical tdo4 setup (up pipe down pipe decat blah blah blah).

Best wishes

Chris
Old 23-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Vince at RDS in Hastings can do it the old fashioned way and can get good results.
I'm not sure where Tone (jaffa) took his last week.
Old 23-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Brent at SMD is pretty good although I've never had a geo setup from him. You'll probably want to get a set of camber bolts for the rear before the geo to allow for more adjustment.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 23-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

How can you say someone is good without ever using them
Old 23-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Brent at SMD is pretty good although I've never had a geo setup from him. You'll probably want to get a set of camber bolts for the rear before the geo to allow for more adjustment.
Yep I've had one done and he knows what's he's doing
Old 23-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Vince at RDS in Hastings can do it the old fashioned way and can get good results.
I'm not sure where Tone (jaffa) took his last week.
Tone took his to Chris Langley,

At Langleys http://www.garageserviceshastings.com/

I took mine there before this years trip to the ring, and the scoob felt really good after it was set up, he has all the latest laser equipment and I will be going there again.

Chris himself was very though and it would be possible for us to have a Geo set up day at his garage, at a special rate depending on numbers.
Old 23-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Brent at SMD did mine, got all the gear and knows his stuff.
Old 23-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Gold Member

also had mine down by brent as well
Old 23-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
How can you say someone is good without ever using them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
Yep I've had one done and he knows what's he's doing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Brent at SMD did mine, got all the gear and knows his stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemp View Post
also had mine down by brent as well
That's why!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 23-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

What does that prove... Only Steve PPP i have seen evidence of driving fast

On standard suspension with a little camber, any monkey should be able to set it up !
Old 23-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
What does that prove... Only Steve PPP i have seen evidence of driving fast

On standard suspension with a little camber, any monkey should be able to set it up !
just because you haven't seen others driving fast from his setup doesn't mean that we don't recommend it which is what the OP was after
Old 23-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
just because you haven't seen others driving fast from his setup doesn't mean that we don't recommend it which is what the OP was after
Have had better results with my piece of string , 2 poles , plum line , 6' level and 2 set squares
Old 26-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Bronze Member

Hay all sorry I thought I would get an email if people responded ...glad I checked back Thanks so much for the setup thoughts. I appreciate the feedback....anyone have any particularly good newage settings I should go for on my bugeye? Remember I only have a front strut nothing else for suspension its just stock.

Any good meets or events coming up in the new year? I want to get more involved
Old 26-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

And are you all certain I would near rear camber bolts? Or could I get away without it? I heard somewhere that you can indeed adjust the rear camber on stock setup if you move something around- can't recall what it was though.
Old 26-12-2012, 05:02 PM

You can adjust toe as std but not camber to enough of a degree for fast road setup.
Old 26-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Bronze Member

OK great, and can you give me any ball park settings that you would suggest going for? I would like to avoid too much abnormal tyre wear lol as its my daily driver
Old 27-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Bronze Member

How far do you mind travelling?

Curtis at AST (see signature) was involved in all the setup work for the litchfield road cars and most certainly knows his stuff!

WINNER - Scooby Shootout 2011 Modified Handling class

WINNER - MLR Blyton Sprint 2012 Class S2

9th Overall - Ten Of The Best 2012 handling circuit 2 points for team Subaru 22B.com

With thanks to: ASTsuspensionUK.com JollyGreenMonster.co.uk ASPerformance.com AndyForrestPerformance.co.uk SD Motorsport
Old 27-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Nige

SUMO-JRM at Rye had all the latest & best equipment money could buy. They set my car up quite a few times. But You need someone on that latest & best equipment who knows what there doing though. Best set up I've ever had was Jimmy Skeyers. I'm sure he still works from near Surry rolling road. C.J will know I think. As Justin is in competition with his car I would take notice of his recommendation as it obviously works very well.
Old 27-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Bronze Member

It's all about intended use, so any geo guy worth his salt will have different settings dependent on the enviornment the car will see most of the time, be it road, track, Sprint or a combination. driving style should be accounted for too.

AST certainly know their stuff, that's for sure.

WINNER - Scooby Shootout 2011 Modified Handling class

WINNER - MLR Blyton Sprint 2012 Class S2

9th Overall - Ten Of The Best 2012 handling circuit 2 points for team Subaru 22B.com

With thanks to: ASTsuspensionUK.com JollyGreenMonster.co.uk ASPerformance.com AndyForrestPerformance.co.uk SD Motorsport

Last edited by Justin; 27-12-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 27-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies guys.

One thing I think is worth noting is that sumo in rye is apparently only doing race team stuff these days- and no longer doing public work! maybe I am wrong but I recall being in touch with them a while ago about some things and that is what they said.
Old 28-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakesnow View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.

One thing I think is worth noting is that sumo in rye is apparently only doing race team stuff these days- and no longer doing public work! maybe I am wrong but I recall being in touch with them a while ago about some things and that is what they said.
Yes, thats correct. We had a big meet down there in February this year (about 40 scoobs went i think?) only for them to shutdown their customer business a month or two later.
Old 30-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Bronze Member

That's a shame as I heard good things too!
Old 16-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Bronze Member

Just figured I would update you all that I ended up at powerstation/ast. Was ironic that after looking at my holiday travel plans (my family came over to visit me) that we were spending a couple nights not far from there. So it worked out well. Good stuff, thanks again for all the advice from everyone here.
Old 16-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakesnow View Post
Just figured I would update you all that I ended up at powerstation/ast. Was ironic that after looking at my holiday travel plans (my family came over to visit me) that we were spending a couple nights not far from there. So it worked out well. Good stuff, thanks again for all the advice from everyone here.
I am there in a couple of weeks.....are you pleased with the work?
Old 24-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
I am there in a couple of weeks.....are you pleased with the work?

Yes definitely. They talked to me about everything I needed to know, answered questions and gave suggestions/input.

Andy did the actual work on my car and he is quite knowledgeable....nice guy too.

Chris from AST is great to talk to about suspension, and Rich at the front would be your man for engine management/tuning.

What did you want to have done?