South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Chassis Tuning

Chassis Tuning It's All About The Twisties

Old 12-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Bronze Member

Default What do you think of this geo setup for my type R?

Hay all,

Getting a four wheel geo-setup done on my recently purchased type R:

Thinking about

Around -1.75 degrees camber up front
Around -1.5 degrees camber on the back
Around .08 degrees total toe in on front
Around .18 degrees total toe in on back
As much castor as possible

What do you think?
Should I run less camber or zero toe?

I wont be hooning it all the time and I wont be just on the track, but I figured running a bit more camber in the front might be good for the tail happy nature of the car. At the same time i'd like to have a capable fast road setup without too excessive of tyre wear .

I'm on T1R's all around and running 340 odd bhp.

Thanks for your opinions!!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 AM

The Cambers look great, maybe a little high for fast road tyre wear wise but it will grip nicely in the twistys! (I run F1.55 R1.4)
I think I run 0.8 toe front 0.6 rear
Running 0 toe the car will toe out under heavy acceleration anyway so better to have a slight toe in to counteract this.

The car will feel a little normalized and maybe even a slight lack feel on the cruise but will come alive under hard driving a feel great.

let us know how you get on

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.

Last edited by Ginola; 12-06-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Bronze Member

Hay thanks for the reply.

I suspected the camber might be a little high as you say. I think I might not go quite that much then as I originally posted as I won't need it all the time.

And as far as the toe do you reckon its important to go with slightly less in the back then (as you suggested)? I was under the impression some people suggest a bit more toe out in the rear than the front.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Interesting stuff and usefull figures. I may try and see how close I can get to some of these numbers.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakesnow View Post
Hay thanks for the reply.

I suspected the camber might be a little high as you say. I think I might not go quite that much then as I originally posted as I won't need it all the time.

And as far as the toe do you reckon its important to go with slightly less in the back then (as you suggested)? I was under the impression some people suggest a bit more toe out in the rear than the front.
I'll have a check tonight to be sure it's one or the other for toe, I'll drop a note on here at some point this evening

Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

I ran nearly 3 on the front of the trooper... Great in the dry but a little scary in the wet
Old 12-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

I've still to put all my rear adjustable links on and fromt camber bolts in then ill need geo doing. Where would you guys recommend for geo?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Bronze Member

Where abouts are you? (EDIT gravesend right??) I am going to use langley's tomorrow as they are close to where I work in hastings. I live in eastbourne though so if you are this way get in touch with brent from southern motor developments. He is pretty booked for the next week or so though I think.

I used powerstation for my bugeye when I was on holiday as I was staying up by them and they were fantastic as well.

I am still trying to decide exactly how much camber to go for. I might go a big more conservative than too agressive at least to start.

I think one general conclusion is that most people do run a bit of toe in all around though.

I'm going to pull out my newage specs from powerstation later and i'll post those. Been very happy with them- responsive but still not too tramliney....and excellent even tyre wear.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I am going to use langley's tomorrow as they are close to where I work in hastings.
Speak to Big"E" or Nige about Langleys.
"E" has used Langley's and also Gerald Dale Motorsport in Ninfield, who does it the old fashioned way.
I think both "E" and Nige were impressed with Gerald.

The Langley's equipment seems to of been confined to the Taxi depot over the road, so may not be the service your expecting.

Vince at RDS in Hastings can also get access to the full geo at St.Leonards Motors bodyshop. I think it's about £75 charge from SLM plus Vince's labour at £35+VAT per hour.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

Gerald is not in Ninfield anymore, he's moved to a new unit on Ivyhouse Lane.

He's not about for a week tho as he's taking his AWESOME mini to Nurburg tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa male View Post
Gerald is not in Ninfield anymore, he's moved to a new unit on Ivyhouse Lane.

He's not about for a week tho as he's taking his AWESOME mini to Nurburg tomorrow.
LOL...has he just moved then ??
Would love a lap in the Mini.....
Old 12-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Im running 0.08 front and 0.07 rear after just double checking the print out..

You can get a drive in geo done at discount tyres in Worthing, but its expensive, with them charging per adjustment, the fella down there doing the alignments has been doing them for over 20 years mind and is quite happy to make sure he gets a perfect job for you to your own specifications.

Or you could always molest CJ on here and he might do it for you proper rally style with plum line and set squares and so forth. (this is how most of the rally boys do it) it does take a while but I'm pretty sure its still one of the best ways of doing it.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hay all,

Getting a four wheel geo-setup done on my recently purchased type R:

Thinking about

Around -1.75 degrees camber up front
Around -1.5 degrees camber on the back
Around .08 degrees total toe in on front
Around .18 degrees total toe in on back
As much castor as possible

What do you think?
Should I run less camber or zero toe?

I wont be hooning it all the time and I wont be just on the track, but I figured running a bit more camber in the front might be good for the tail happy nature of the car. At the same time i'd like to have a capable fast road setup without too excessive of tyre wear .

I'm on T1R's all around and running 340 odd bhp.

Thanks for your opinions!!
Above is about right for fast road but would don't understand the degrees for toe in as I measure it in mm differents from front to rear of wheel .
Mines set up for track with -2.8 degrees camber front and -2.4 degress on the rear . 1mm toe out on the front and neutral on the rear.
I use string and a plumb line
Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Prob been there for 2 years+!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa male View Post

Prob been there for 2 years+!
LOL I was sure your dad went out to Ninfield. Glad I didn't drive out there for a looskie.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Bronze Member

Interesting stuff guys, I appreciate it all. Well i've been told Chris is in at Langley's tomorrow so he should be about if I need someone to look at it. You reckon it will be a safe bet? I know they did move their equipment temporarily but still should be able to get someone to dial in the proper settings though I reckon?

CJ do you think I'll see much abnormal wear with that level of camber? I had thought about backing it off a touch to something more like what Ginola originally suggested.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on tyres and how you drive but I never did when I had similar on the bugeye as a road car
But would go neutral on rear and front toe .
A awd car should be set up like a fwd car
Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Bronze Member

True yea you are right lol, that's a fact.

I am curious though- Many say to go toe in all around though?

And some say slightly more toe in at the front?
And others say slightly more toe in at the back??

<====== me!!! lol
Old 12-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Interesting stuff guys, I appreciate it all. Well i've been told Chris is in at Langley's tomorrow so he should be about if I need someone to look at it. You reckon it will be a safe bet? I know they did move their equipment temporarily but still should be able to get someone to dial in the proper settings though I reckon?.
The first time I used the Langleys Chris himself worked on my scoob and he did a good job once I showed him where the adjusters were, he was very thorough and got things spot on.
Your best bet is to get Chris to do the work himself.

Tell Chris what you want things set at, as all he does is look up on his computer to see what the OE settings should be.

They have moved the laser geo equipment in to the taxi side of the company if your scoob is has low ground clearance it probably wont go on the ramps without boards being used.

When I last went there (mid May just before the Ring trip) to have things checked, I was asked to be at the garage for 08.15 which I was,

half an hour later I asked the receptionist how much longer would I have to wait for them to start work.
I was told that when the guy sweeping the workshop floor had finished my scoob would be looked at.

I was not prepared to wait any longer as I had things to do so I left..

Customer service epic fail..

Last edited by BIG"E"; 12-06-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Bronze Member

Very informative, thanks for all this E
Old 12-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=Ginola;164225]You can get a drive in geo done at discount tyres in Worthing, but its expensive, with them charging per adjustment, the fella down there doing the alignments has been doing them for over 20 years mind and is quite happy to make sure he gets a perfect job for you to your own specifications.[QUOTE]

Have used Discount Tyres several times for geo set-ups (all be it factory set-ups) guy who works on the ramp knows his stuff and as Dave says will set it up how you want, plus no worries about getting on and off their ramp as it sits flush with the floor.
Old 13-06-2013, 05:39 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Interesting reading... I never thought of using Gerald Dale for the scoob - he did a bloody good job of my cam swap and tune though on my old Golf!

Balance Motorsport get some good reviews for Geo etc.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter