South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
They inspected mine & banned me in May? They make there own rules just depends what natzi/sorry German gent you get.
They just dont like being tooted at.

Or was it he nearly took his knee caps off on the towing eye.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Authorised Trader

Interesting post on Pistonheads by John Felstead, who was there this weekend....

''TF days are now a complete waste of time and money.

I used to go to the 'ring regularly, often every two weeks, back in the early 00's after having spent years doing UK trackdays before heading out there. Back in the day you could do pretty much as many laps as you felt like, the closures were rare. Of course you would come accross the ocasional shunt, but on the whole the track wasnt closed as these were easily managed locally. Traffic levels were sensible, quick drivers knew they were quick and who they could run with at pace safely, the slow guys knew they were slow or inexperienced and drove acordingly, racking up the laps to learn before gaining pace, i felt you would have to be fairly unlucky to get involved in someone elses accident.

I've been twice this year, including this last weekend, and it's just a waste of time now, far too many idiots driving beyond their ability and because they know they may only get a run or two, are pushing things too hard without checking conditions first. I've heard far too many conversations in the car park relating to playstation games and clarksons video/time, the mentality at the place is totally different to when i first went there.

I try and make sure i'm pretty much first on track in the morning, and i'll do a lap at about 70% pace, it's just cruising for a lap to see what state the road is in, where the damp patches are, any repairs or remains of a cleanup operation etc. Once that is done i can then go at a faster pace, knowing where to be extra cautious and where i suspect i'll find things buried in the armco.

Sure enough the second lap there is an M3 burried in the barrier right where the big crash happened later in the day that this thread started with, that section of track was still wet from the night dew, yet the run up to it was bone dry so you could gain a fair bit of speed upto the point where it was sudenly wet, after a blind entry. I then get to eiscurve which is just after the big spectator area, bike is on it's side having gone off on the entry, lights still on but thankfully a marshal on the scene dealing with that one.

I come off track after that lap and do my usual cruise round the local roads to let everything cool down nicely. Get a call from a friend, track now closed, it was far too predictable. The whole weekend went like this, small time open, huge time closed sorting out the mess. I managed 5 laps in 3 days, 4 of those laps were doing an early sighting run then a quicker run straight after before the masses have woken up and saturated the place.

I shan't be bothering with TF days again, it's chaos, there is absolutely no fun driving quickly there when you are expecting to come accross carnage on every lap, knowing people are way over their heads and no one is putting any control on it.

Nurburgring GMBH need to do something about this, i think it's coming to a head now and they will have to act. Even ignoring the ring taxi crash event, it's needed some control bringing in for a while now.

With regards to insurance, i've always had proper cover there, it costs me extra and bumps up my excess for the trip duration, but i have always had piece of mind in that respect.''
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
They just dont like being tooted at.

Or was it he nearly took his knee caps off on the towing eye.
Both
Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Nige

John Felstead's reports are one of the reasons i went to the Ring in the 1st place. He don't sound very happy now!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

It does sound like its been very bad over the last month or so.

But i thought it was fine in May when we went, I managed to park in the main car park most of the time and only had to use the overflow gravel car park once where they shut the evening session 15 mins early (not due to an accident, apparently).

It has its problems, but if its the same for us next year and it was last time, i'll still love it
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
It does sound like its been very bad over the last month or so.

But i thought it was fine in May when we went, I managed to park in the main car park most of the time and only had to use the overflow gravel car park once where they shut the evening session 15 mins early (not due to an accident, apparently).

It has its problems, but if its the same for us next year and it was last time, i'll still love it
My thoughts exactly, I will always want to go there, it's such a great weekend away in a truly wonderful place.

We go at a fairly good time of year really.

The comments from Moleys post which is so true are the Playstation / Clarkson ones, this is why IMHO the place is the way it is. Everyones got a time in there head thanks to both of these things.

Nige, sorry mate, I disagree quite strongly about the bike scenario, the two just don't mix on a track. The bits with the Aston and the M3 are pukka though, but only because they are both driven by good drivers. If they were muppets in some old shed that had been doing that, it may have been a very different outcome

Ian, good question about the German Insurance, it would be interesting to know what the score is there. I bet not many have track cover the way we do?

I'm loving this thread
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
But what do the Germans do about insurance does anyone know??
Pretty much the same system as us, but the price they pay is significantly more especially for 'track' cover. Annual cover for a colleague that has a 911 is over €5,000 without any track cover!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Greg View Post
Pretty much the same system as us, but the price they pay is significantly more especially for 'track' cover. Annual cover for a colleague that has a 911 is over €5,000 without any track cover!
Jeeeeesus! If that's the case, many won't bother at the ring I would have thought.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 PM

I thought German registered cars with German insurance had the Ring fully covered? (inc 3rd party). ?

Surely thats why some of the Brits have cars registered and stored over there?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:46 PM

Another vid thats made its way onto Youtube, looking backwards. Skip to about 9:50, looks like a nightmare.

!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Unbelievable, and sod sitting there in the middle of it listening to everything else screaching to a halt
Old 05-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
I thought German registered cars with German insurance had the Ring fully covered? (inc 3rd party). ?

Surely thats why some of the Brits have cars registered and stored over there?
Nope I was told that its excluded and policies now specifically exclude the Ring. It may have been the case but I'm guessing the claims experience has not been good recently. Most will have no cover. That's what I'm told anyway! They are amazed at how little we pay for car insurance!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:00 AM
worzel

Bloody hell, that video shows you just how bad that really was!