South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Projects

Projects Tell us about your cars mods, past, present and future!

Old 19-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Great progress and damn, that's wide
Old 19-07-2015, 09:02 PM

Looking good! such alot of progress!

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 20-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Regular User

youve been busy, coming along very nicely.
Old 20-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys. Yes tucking is as promptly as I can. Got a busy week this week so trying to get it done. I'm happy with it so far.

Old 25-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Bronze Member

Chipping away at the tasks left to do. Test fitted the guages to make sure I can see them all from the old drivers seat. Good news yes I can. So once the body is completed I'll plumb all these in when I do the Syvecs.

Got the ABW bits. Front splitter and skirts. Both had to be modified to suite the wide arches on the car.

The test fit of the splitter. I can't elaborate enough how well it fitted. Shame to have to mod it.

Part way through being modded and also the skirts added. These had to be extended out to suit the arches.

A lot of flatting down and finishing to do. Hopefully all wrapped up tomorrow. Then just paint and I can concentrate on the electrics
Old 25-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Looking good 👍
Got to ask , why all the gauges as a toucan would of given you all of what the gauges and more ?
Old 27-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks dude,

I do a love guage..... and the toucan is a stretch too far from a money aspect.

Got the STI 8 scoop fitted

Old 27-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Nice work on the arches, not much clearance so guessing your suspension is pretty rock solid!

Prefer the old scoop personally, don't like the blob style ones on classics. Good work though
Old 27-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Looking good thought mine was low that looks like it's going to hurt on the old bum .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 27-07-2015, 11:57 PM
Bronze Member

The suspension is hard yes. But the there is clearence between then wheels and arches. Once the roll bars are on I can soften the dampers off.

As far as the scoop goes. I actually agree. But the 8 scoop offer larger mouth and taller catchment for the turbo. A functional change.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Bronze Member

Righty ordered some more toys this morning to sort the chassis a bit....

Whiteline 24mm front roll bar
Whiteline 24mm rear roll bar - adjustable
Whiteline anti lift kit
Whiteline front and rear ally drop link set

New coilovers. Because the BC are knocky and leaky..... agian. For the second time. On the same car.*

I've gone for XYZ adjustable jobbies. Racing logic where the first choice to be honest for the alotted budget. Which ruled out Nirton/KW/Ohlins/Aragosta etc etc. HSD was an option as where the Buddyclub units but I had XYZ units on an old rx7. Along with their big brakes. And I have to say was mega impressed. They offer bigger more sturdy bodies and a more robust top mount than bc/apex type units for the same money. And they also didn't corrode half as fast as the others. One of the big things is that they actually soaked up the bump as opposed to just hitting then so you got a good level of damping even with a firm ride. Pair that with the roll bars so you can run the damping a little softer and they where properly mint (again for the budget).
Old 13-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Bronze Member

Got the coilovers through today from Tim @ Scoobyparts. Cannot praise them enough for their service. Parts turning up promptly. Second box tomorrow with the Whiteline parts. They've kept me up to date all the way through. Very very happy.

And over the moon with the coilovers too. Will get them on as soon as I get half a chance. Few of pics.

Old 14-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

mmm new parts
Old 14-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Bronze Member

TOYS....

Roll bars:

Drop links.

Anti lift....

Old 22-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Bronze Member

Very little time to do anything on this since the last post. I've done a bit more of the body but not a lot. Will try to get back on her in the next few weeks and get the old girl running..... front end ready for paint though....

With the passenger arches all mocked on with skirts:

The we have the front end. Finally all in Primer ready for paint. Skirts are all finished now too but not on in the pics!

I will be adding some carnards/winglets to the front end but i'm but going through a few ideas to make sure it keeps in with the styling so they don't appear just thrown on as such. Nearly there then onto interior and wiring
Old 22-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

this is pucka..just spent ages going throu this thread!!
Old 22-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
this is pucka..just spent ages going throu this thread!!
Snap! Very interesting build thread with some really cool fabrication work. Wish I had ur ability and patience!
Old 16-11-2015, 06:28 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys. Appreciated. Trying to do the best I can with what I have. She'll need some refining along the way but that's what its all about!!!

Thanks chap, its almost one colour!!!! Weather keeps stopping play.

Can get wiring soon!!
Old 16-11-2015, 11:22 AM

It looks like a beast

So looking forward to seeing it in the flesh

Old 16-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Amazing amazing machine ! loving the wide look and loving the scoop!

As per Dave - can't wait to see this in the flesh - so different from a lot of the scoobs on this site

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 16-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventune View Post
TOYS....

Drop links.

Just noticed youre front droplinks might be the wrong type as you are wanting ball joint ones for your sti .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 03-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Bronze Member

Its been a while since I have updated this thread..... The beast is still going though not running yet unfortunately.... Due to a ton of personal stuff since last August I just haven't had a chance to get anything done on the car.... well nothing significant anyway.... I have all the wiring components now so will get on with that soon.... there are a few other things to address first.... first of which was that I nearly fogot what it actually looked like under here

Now while the car has been sitting.... it became very apparent just how much water gets into the air box. Whilst for a race car this, I belive, is still a very good set up. On the road in this country with our weather.... its just not practical.... Air box fills up, there was water in the compressor cover... and not a small amount.... So I will be moving the turbo position. Still across the back of the engine bay but rotated through 180 degrees to face the other way. The air box will now be located in the more conventional position on the drivers side of the engine bay. A couple of advantages to this new position. The airbox isn't over the one biggest heat source, the engine. There is now a lot more room to run two wastegates as opposed to the one big one which offers mild benefits over the one big single one in terms of boost control. The down pipe will now run over the gearbox and down the passenger side of the engine bay. Currently the down pipe comes off the turbo and goes into an immediate tight 180 degree bend to get back down to meet the exhaust. Now the down pipe will come out the turn in a dear straight line for about 24" before dropping down to meet the system vastly improving flow... So that is in the process before I wire the car...

The electric power steering pump is being ditched as that will be going on my GTR so stock pump will go back on. This was originally removed to make way for the intercooler pipe work which is now being rerouted due to new turbo position...

Given this is becoming a more focused car there has also been a wheel change. They are currently a rather vial chrome but they will be going off to be stripped so I can repaint them.... may keep the purple colour I had on the Rotas but I tempted to go with a real bright red instead.... will see how we go They are still 18X10 I would suggest they are an ET20 as the sit a few mill further in the arch than the rotas but not by much... They also need new rubber as they currently have "stretched" tyres on them so some 265's need to be employed to do that job at some stage.... The reason for the change is they are a lot lighter than the Rotas and will still look pretty cool....

Looking forward the STI 6 wing has been ditched for a Carbon wing. Fortunately I had one laying around so that has been used get an eye in for how that will look. This one isn't quite wide enough so I will be changing this out for the wider Aerokit unit once I have the other bots sorted out which I 10" wider overall than the one fitted.... With aero in mind I have fitted a larger splitter. I also got the cardboard out and had a play with potential canard ideas so fibreglass one to follow soon once I decide what way to go...

Mildly annoying:

I also managed to bag a couple of Sparcos which are considerably lighter than the stock seats...

So really its back on it between other jobs to finally get this thing up and running get it on the road and track and have a laugh in it.... Its been 2years since the engine first popped and is long over due....

Last edited by seventune; 05-01-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:17 PM

Great to see this is still moving forward. Looks absolutely awesome.

Shame that all of the work that went into the pipework around the turbo needs changing though, what a pain! But top work
Old 03-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Formerly Conrad

Awesome. 😍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 PM

Looks an amazing machine...

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 03-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Looking really smart but who the fecking hell sprays a bootlid with the spoiler still fitted i would be going fecking nuts

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Old 03-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Looking really smart but who the fecking hell sprays a bootlid with the spoiler still fitted i would be going fecking nuts
I know what a half arse job right. To be fair who ever did the respray before I bought the car didn't do a very good job I does need to be re done in time...
Old 04-08-2016, 12:54 AM

Cracking stuff dude, idd wtf with the bootlid :/

Old 04-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

Car looks amazing,bet you will be glad when all finished and can use it
Old 04-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks people,

Yes it will be nice to get the old thing fired up and on the move.... has been a very long time.... Was supposed to be

I still cant get over the boot lid... don't get me wrong the rear wing a total pig to get off due to the nuts being mashed but I got it off. Just lazy... You can see around the rest of the car though that in the bonnet shuts and boot shuts its been painted badly.... It was always my intention to redo the body, not necessarily with the modded bonnet a wide arches but hay ho that's all done now so I can't very well take it back can I
Old 04-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Looks like it's going to be a monster! good work.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Bronze Member

right so not done much on this in recent weeks but I have done a few bits to start thinking about getting the aged old girl back up and running again

I think I mentioned before I wasn't totally happy with the down pipe situation being as tight as it turned out to be so in an effort to aid the issue I dismantled the manifold, ordered a few new bits and turned the turbo through 180 degrees to get a far better exit on the exhaust....

Old manifold chopped ready for trimming and clean up plus a few extra bits. Again all in 321 stainless, there are a couple of 304 bits in there that were from the old MVR single wastegate outlet, these were removed due to the new twin MVS set up.......

New up pipes with the twin MVS units...

and the rest of the revised header on the dumby block in the shed .....

virtually finished up with the gates fitted:

And a test fit just for a pic with the turbo and 76mm to 89mm for the down pipe....

It was also time to give the engine bay a refresh with a lick of paint.... the car was painted white from silver before I bought it and the engine bay was never done so high time it happened.....

Engine out and bay being prepped....

A bit of white followed by a bit of black ...

Then its just a case of getting the whole thing back together..... new pullies are on route also... few other hings will have to change like the header tank location and PS reservoir which I will remake one the ait filter/ air box is in... new PS lines and cooler will need to go in as I will go back to using the stock PS pump and use the electric one for the GTR...

engine, intercooler and rad back in....

lights and bumper re fitted....

Now to make a big long to do list

Last edited by seventune; 05-01-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

All I can say is that is a work of art and very fast one
Old 02-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

Hat off to you for your workmanship, looks epic.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 PM

Wowzers!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

Wow! That looks sweet!! Mega build, nice seeing somebody do something different.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Epic! Hats off to you,
Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 PM

This looks more awesome every time you post an update
Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 AM

Default White STI 5 2.35ltr build

So looking forward to seeing this in the flesh! It's really great how different this.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Bronze Member

cheers guys.....

As for todays agenda, the boot lid.... exciting right? no not really its a boot lid, with holes in it.... and who paints a bootlid with the spoiler still attached!!!

Last edited by seventune; 05-01-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
who paints a bootlid with the spoiler still attached!!!

A crap bodyshop but it will be sorted soon

Old 05-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Bronze Member

Yes it will

well that was a very wobbly boot lid, but welded and smoothed bar the ones for the wing, Will prime and paint tomorrow....

Old 07-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Bronze Member

Much better:

Old 09-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Bronze Member

As I mentioned before with the turbo still being located at the rear of the engine bay but now facing the opposite was a new air box was needed. I/m still going to use a B&M cone filter with cold feeds but just inside a box to try and limit heat soak into the filter.

Where the original front mount used to be there is a hole through, and also where I had located the electric PS pump (no longer using) there is also a hole that can be used. Once all that is in I will pull the front bumper off and make a duct from there also leading to the filter box. So with 3 entry points and the B&M its about the best I can do with it.

I thought I had some 4" ally pipe, turned out I didn't so I rolled a short piece just to mount the filter in side; this will protrude the rear of the box where the Titanium pipe will link the box to the compressor cover, so this is where it is so far....

Filter and the 4" ally tube

Then the mock to get the sizing and the Sheet metal tacked. There is a scallop around the filler cap so you can get it on and off without messing about so that still need to be cut and shaped...

Old 09-01-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Tidy work there
Old 10-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Gold Member

As said above this gets better with every post, really want to see it in the metal now!
Old 15-01-2017, 12:26 AM
Bronze Member

thanks guys,

Bit more scoob process but rain stop play so I couldn't et finished what I wanted too today. So air box is complete for the most part just needs some tidying up. There is one more hole to chop into it but I need to make the front duct first. The connecting pipe from turbo to air box also still needs to be made but I'm waiting on material for that.

I also set about the interior. Well first stages. So carpet and stock seats out along with a few more unnecessary bits. Also knocked out the sound deadening. There is some still to remove in the boot and some more on the bulk head but I will tackle that when I pull the dash out. Test fit of the Sparcos too.

Air box:

Then the interior:

LOADS TO DO!!!!!
Old 15-01-2017, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice, just out of interest, what are you doing with the standard STI seats that came out

Shane
Old 15-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Very nice, just out of interest, what are you doing with the standard STI seats that came out

Shane
Well last night I used them while I was playing Project Cars on the PS4 but beyond that.... absolutely nothing.

Do you need a pair?
Old 15-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

I had a mint set of black and red V1 WRX seats but sold them and put the leather back in when I thought I was selling the car, as nice as it is it's a bit slippery in the corners so been looking around for replacements. So yes, interested if you're looking to move them on.