South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Sigma Alarm

Does anyone know which 2 circuits the standard UK Sigma Alarm switches, I believe one is the supply to the fuel pump relay, can someone confirm the second is the feed to the starter motor?

Next question is, where is the box located and can you get into it? Need to do some investigating after I was briefly left stranded at the petrol pumps earlier when it wouldn't start.

Shane
Old 13-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Search for a chap called Sigma Sam, I did have his number, but that was years ago.

Helped me out once I confirmed with him I wasnt a pond life trying to nick the car
Old 13-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Could be cam or crank sensor as these can give hot start issues.
Old 13-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Wouldn't turn over at all, the same as when the immobiliser cuts in 30 seconds after disarming the alarm if you don't turn the ignition on.
Sigma Sam cropped up in a search I did yesterday.

I've heard of the relay contacts getting dirty in the alarm module so was going to take a look. It fired up 20 minutes later while I was on the phone to the RAC.
Old 14-12-2015, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

Ah my V1 used to do this, I swapped out the fuel pump relay and it hasnt done it since. Its tucked right up under the dash so its a pain to do.
Old 14-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Just done the fuel pump relay as the pump was failing to prime when I turned the ignition on and so fixed that problem. Saturday it all lit up, immobiliser light went out but turning the key did nothing, no click, no dimming of dash lights.
Old 14-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Was it a station you use regularly? Could it have been the old 'unshielded' problem that effects the sigma's....... maybe some aerial nearby causing problems? Mine used to have problems at beachy head, but keep trying and it would go sometimes...
Old 14-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Wasn't that Ron as I could arm and disarm the alarm with the remote, my theory is that the relay in the control unit that switches the starter feed didn't switch properly, when I had problems the other day it would turn over but there was no supply to the fuel pump, this time the fuel pump would prime but it wouldn't turn over. I think it would probably have bump started but didn't want to be stuck at the bottom of the hill on a main road if it hadn't started.
Old 15-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

This problem has reared its head a couple of times recently so decided to investigate further, managed to locate what I believe is the control box with the intention of changing the relays out for new ones

Now the biggest problem is that it is held in with either a T6 or T8 Tamper proof torx and Nyloc nut, obviously I only have down to TP10 so a set of bits are on their way courtesy of Amazon Prime.

It's well packed in, I can't even access the loom.

While poking around tracking wires this earth wire turned out to be loose, the blue crimp tells me it wasn't fitted at the factory so I've tightened it up and keeping my fingers crossed it may be the source of my problem, tempted to swap out the relays anyway, the contacts could be well furred up after 19 years.

Last edited by Red Baron; 15-06-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 15-06-2018, 09:13 PM

Fingers crossed.
You managed to crawl back out from the footwell then.
Old 15-06-2018, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Wish I'd taken the lower dash panel out to change the fuel pump relay, nearly crippled myself doing that and you can see it easily with the dash removed.
Old 16-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Halfords sell a torx set or b&q sell the mac tool torx set aswell .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 16-06-2018, 01:46 PM

Always have tools like that about if you ever need to borrow any.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 16-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

I had everything but the size I needed, set turned up today, you can never have too many tools anyway.

Found it

That has got a little warm

And that won't be helping matters

I've re-flowed all the suspect joints, could well have been caused by the bad earth. Only time will tell now, I'll put it all back together and see what happens.
Old 22-09-2018, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Bugger, turns out I haven't fixed it, finger is now pointing at starter motor as I gave it a whack with a wheel brace on the Shell forecourt and it started. Only ever does it when hot and has been switched off for a few minutes.
Old 22-09-2018, 10:04 PM

My RS Turbo used to do the same. Had to push it off a forecourt more than once. Heatsoak stops the starter throwing into the flywheel.
Old 23-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Bugger, turns out I haven't fixed it, finger is now pointing at starter motor as I gave it a whack with a wheel brace on the Shell forecourt and it started. Only ever does it when hot and has been switched off for a few minutes.
Hope that sorts your problem. Out of interest can you pm me where the Signs unit is in case I get trouble ?
👍
Old 23-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

My supra had the same thing. Once hot the starter was dead. Apparently a very comman issue on the TT mk4 so new one was fitted and never did it again.