South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > Events & Meets > Other Events

Other Events Other Regional Events, National Events, Track Days, Tunnel Runs Etc Etc

Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Rallye Sunseeker (Feb 2010) info.

Richard Burns Trophy now part of Rally Sunsseker and Bournemouth opener stage on Friday night through park has been scrapped in favour of a procession/show in Poole.
Didn't likethe opener anyway, as prefer the action the following day in the forest......

Info from Website :

RALLYE SUNSEEKER ANNOUNCES the RICHARD BURNS TROPHY
It was back in 1992 that we were first treated to the talents of the late Richard Burns, when he stunned the Mintex championship regulars by finishing 2nd overall – with Robert Reid co driving -through the forests of Bournemouth and Wareham in a Group N Subaru Legacy. And then, as we all know, Richard went on to ultimately become World Champion before in an untimely departure he was taken from us.
In June 2006 the Richard Burns Foundation was launched at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, to “inspire and support people with serious injury and illness.” The Foundation also incorporates the Michael Park Fund, this has been set up to help people - and also support their families - who have suffered serious or life threatening injuries, particularly those suffered in motor sport, whilst also promoting and aiding research into these causes and their prevention.
With this in mind, and to enable more public awareness of the efforts made to improve the lives of others through the Foundations, Rallye Sunseeker are delighted to announce the RICHARD BURNS TROPHY; next February the winner of Group N on Rallye Sunseeker will win this award and in doing so collect the prestigious trophy and also the four figure prize money on offer.
Speaking late last week David Williams said “Richard arrived in Bournemouth 18 years ago, and in a standard Group N Subaru Legacy battled with much more powerful group A and B cars and to finish a remarkable 2nd overall; he stunned not only his fellow competitors, but rally fans as well. He added “with this in mind, we wanted to give today’s Group N drivers the chance to compete for what we hope will become a memorable prize, and help us not only raise the profile of the Foundation, but raise money as well”
Rallye Sunseeker hopes that this award will encourage the mass of highly talented Group N drivers throughout the UK, Ireland and Europe to enter the event in the hope of taking this award home.
Motor Fair at Somerley Park on Saturday 27th February will host at least 6 of the cars from the world famous Richard Burns Collection; also appearing at the Somerley gathering will be Richards long time co-driver, and a major force behind the Foundation, Robert Reid. Robert will then attend prize giving that evening to present the Richard Burns Trophy to the winners of Group N.
We will be announcing several more “star” names that will be appearing at Somerley Park in due course.
Also in line to provide an eye catching and appropriate display at Somerley will be the Subaru Impreza Drivers Club. There will also be the vast array of trade stands as well as other forms of family entertainment.
Rallye Sunseeker 2010 – URGENT PRESS INFORMATION
NEW FORMAT FOR RALLYE SUNSEEKER
A major rethink by the organising Southern Car Club, mindful of the continuing challenges of the economy, will give the traditional curtain-raiser to Britain’s National rallying calendar, Rallye Sunseeker, a fresh new look when it is staged on Friday and Saturday, February 26/27, 2010.
Key changes to the format include a Ceremonial Start in Poole on Friday evening, replacing the tarmac stage on the Bournemouth seafront, while the Finish Ceremony has been moved to Pier Approach in Bournemouth, allowing space for competitors and service crew to join the thousands of spectators who traditionally attend the champagne celebrations.
Benefits for competitors include entry fees REDUCED from 2009, offering cheaper cost per mile, with the discounted two-wheel-drive entry fee still in place, plus the introduction of the Sunseeker Trophy Rally, to encourage those who suffer an early retirement to restart. Abandoning Friday’s stages removes the need for separate tarmac tyres and suspension, while a later start for scrutineering will also save many crews an extra night of accommodation costs.
Clerk of the Course Robert Pike said: “To quote American billionaire and stock market legend Warren Buffett: ‘Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.’ And that neatly sums up the approach to our plans for Rallye Sunseeker 2010.
“Ever mindful of the tough economic times that we all face, we knew that, if we were to ask people to invest both precious time and money in Rallye Sunseeker, we had to offer greater value than ever before.
“That didn’t mean slashing mileage or cutting stages left, right and centre to chop 50 or 100 quid off the entry fee - that would have just cheapened the event and offered less for less! Rather, it meant maximising the enjoyment and minimising the costs wherever possible; that way, we could offer the best value for money . . . to competitors, officials, spectators and, of course, our sponsors.
“In some places, we have trimmed costs without, we believe, diluting the enjoyment; in other places, we have endeavoured to improve the show, without increasing the cost.”

Key elements of Rallye Sunseeker 2010 are these:
  • total stage distance remains at 60 miles of forestry roads: for the first time, all are gravel stages, and will all run in one day
  • entry fees REDUCED from 2009, offering cheaper cost per mile
  • discounted two-wheel-drive entry fee maintained, to support clubmen running further down the field
  • Friday night tarmac stages abandoned: no need for competitors to source separate tarmac tyres and suspension
  • start of Friday scrutineering and documentation put back: potentially, this saves teams from further afield the cost of Thursday night accommodation . . . or might encourage them to switch to Saturday, and stay for the Awards Ceremony
  • the two stages at Somerley Park remain: the grounds of this stately home provide one of British rallying’s most family-friendly venues, with displays, activities and demonstration runs. As usual, the organisers are working on one or two surprises to keep everyone entertained throughout the day . . .
  • Friday afternoon’s scrutineering and documentation will once again be staged at the popular Littledown Centre, with commentary and driver interviews for spectators
  • spectators will also be welcome at the highly-acclaimed Service Area, once again in the spacious and well-appointed Canford Park Arena; competitors will benefit from dedicated car wash and refuelling facilities
New elements for 2010 are:
  • the Sunseeker Trophy Rally: competitors who retire from the main event early on will be encouraged to return for more action, rather than head home for ‘an early bath’
  • the Ceremonial Start on Poole Quay: with a Civic Welcome Reception, Competitor Briefing and Group Photocall, Friday evening promises an electric atmosphere in the bars and restaurants along the picturesque quayside, as the entire field gathers to kick off the 2010 MSA Gravel Rally Championship in style
  • the Finish Ceremony on Pier Approach: the climax of Rallye Sunseeker 2010 is moving, with the final regroup for competitors adjacent on the seafront, not at final service. These changes will give competitors and service crews the opportunity to join the thousands of spectators who turn out for the champagne celebrations
Summarising the changes, Pike added: “We’re confident that the 2010 event is shaping up to be the best-ever Rallye Sunseeker. But, at the end of the day, its success is down to everyone who participates, whatever role he or she chooses to fulfil. We very much hope to see many familiar faces, be they competitors, officials or spectators, in February.”
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

i'll be going, last years was a great day out
Old 07-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Bronze Member

is there going to be a convoy as im up for it
Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth maul View Post
is there going to be a convoy as im up for it
depending on numbers it would make sense if people car share as its normally charged per car to get into car parks (whether theres 1 person in the car or 4) so it works out much cheaper all round
Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Bronze Member

Sounds good well i'm in ripley
Old 07-12-2009, 11:42 AM
worzel

I'd be up for this.

Wanted to go to the last 2 but didn't.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I'm up for this will sort something nearer the time - might take the folks motorhome down
Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
I'm up for this will sort something nearer the time - might take the folks motorhome down
Last year i went down there and back in one day (no overnight stop) so you won't want the motorhome - its all about getting in and out of the car parks (basically rough fields in the middle of nowhere) quickly and onto the next stage before it starts!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Bronze Member

I'm gutted I cannot make this year.

Was hoping to take my little boy down on the Friday. Have some fish and chips watch the rally then back home. Then on Saturday back down for the forrest stage but............I am getting smashed in Amsterdam that weekend now. Bugger.

Steve
Old 04-01-2010, 06:44 AM

Stand more of a chance in the motorhome in rough fields than my Car at the moment!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Crowman

I am up for this, need to get the scoob back on road 1st as dont expect the M3 will fair to well in muddy fields.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM

not everyone needs to worry about driving, it makes much more sense to go with a few people in each car - its cheaper for us and it makes it much easier for the organisers who have to work with limited space and deal with queueing traffic at stage entrances etc.

I'll see what info i can find out with regards to the stages and will let you know

For those thinking of going down on the Friday, i don't think they're running any of the usual evening tarmac stages along Bournemouth seafront this year - think the stages are only on Saturday this year.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

This looks good

I have never been to an event like this before.

I supose its going to mean getting up at silly o'clock.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
I supose its going to mean getting up at silly o'clock.
I think last year the first stage started about 9am, so it was a case of leaving Brighton area about 6am-6:30am (allows time to drive down, park up and walk into the forest before it all starts).

We'll know more once they publish the stage timetable
Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Thats not so bad .
Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
not everyone needs to worry about driving, it makes much more sense to go with a few people in each car.
I'm up for that.....if you got room Steve
Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy View Post
I'm up for that.....if you got room Steve
of course mate
Old 05-01-2010, 09:05 AM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
I am up for this, need to get the scoob back on road 1st as dont expect the M3 will fair to well in muddy fields.
You could jump in my scoob if you want matey.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
You could jump in my scoob if you want matey.
Happy days young man, many thanks, breakfast etc is on me.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Bronze Member

Any info on where the stages are , times etc would be great. Used to go to Rally of Kent when it was on plus stages at Goodwood before they got banned [ to noisey ] so looking forward to this
Old 05-01-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris wrx View Post
Any info on where the stages are , times etc would be great.
Don't think the times have been published yet, altho i might have some of the stage details from last year around somewhere
Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Any info on where the stages are , times etc would be great. Used to go to Rally of Kent when it was on plus stages at Goodwood before they got banned [ to noisey ] so looking forward to this
I feel a convoy coming on.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Regular User

Like Big-E, I've never been to such an event, so would love to come along. Like the car share idea Steve (for a number of good practical reasons). And if it's O.K would ask to join you Steve or join the convoy, might even be able to drag son along to this.
Have pencilled in diary.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Fly View Post
Like Big-E, I've never been to such an event, so would love to come along. Like the car share idea Steve (for a number of good practical reasons). And if it's O.K would ask to join you Steve or join the convoy, might even be able to drag son along to this.
Have pencilled in diary.
The more the merrier

When it gets closer to the time, we'll work out who doesn't mind driving and see if it works out nicely for where people live - we might end up with a car full from Burgess Hill area, another from Crowborough, another from Hastings direction etc
Old 21-01-2010, 11:42 PM

Right guys, bit more information is available now. Stage times are as follows:

Uddens 1 09:26
Ringwood South 09:47
Ringwood North 1 10:00
Somerley Park 1 10:38
----------------------------
Service 1 11:24
Wareham 12:53
Service 2 14:09
----------------------------
Uddens 2 15:09
Somerley Park 2 15:33
Ringwood North 2 15:56
Ringwood South 2 16:21

I reckon it'll be possible to get to one of each batch of stages easily (as i've grouped them above), so 3 stages in the day. There shouldn't be any parking problems at any of the stages really, only one which was a bit tight last year was Wareham because everyone heads into there at once having been spread out across the 4 morning stages beforehand, but still not a major problem.

For any rallying newbies, all stages allow you to get close up to the cars for good viewing - certainly a lot closer than you can get at a WRC event.

Its all on Saturday 27th February - shall we start a list to see who's interested and then we can work out car sharing etc if needed. Its a pretty cheap event as well at £25 per car for all access to all forest stages

1. Steve_PPP
Old 22-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Will be going in the 4x4, as steve with out a splitter last year and oe suspenstion was nocking on the floor at times . Only my thoughts but if you have a lowered car leave it at home . Happy to pick you up steve and dukeboy and leaves a spare seat in the chelsea tractor
Old 22-01-2010, 09:12 AM

yeah, the entrance to Ringwood North was a pretty rough farm track but the other stages are all fine for scoobs (unless they're on the floor!)
Old 22-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Only takes one track to f a splitter & when it fd its fd !
Old 22-01-2010, 01:42 PM
worzel

Or a line of snow as I discovered

I am up for this, but offered Martyn a lift. If it's that bad we won't get my scoob in? Advise please chaps.
Old 22-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
Or a line of snow as I discovered

I am up for this, but offered Martyn a lift. If it's that bad we won't get my scoob in? Advise please chaps.
I'd take your wifes golf and give her the keys to the M3
Old 22-01-2010, 03:15 PM
worzel

Gulp!
Old 26-01-2010, 09:56 PM

any more takers?
Old 27-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Think I should be there, not sure what in yet!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 21-02-2010, 05:11 PM

this is next Saturday folks

Latest list of stages and postcodes for satnav are here:
http://www.rallyesunseeker.co.uk/spectators.html

I'm thinking of doing Ringwood South (09:47) then Wareham (12:53) then Ringwood North (15:56) as it leaves plenty of time to get between stages without too much rushing around. What do people reckon?

any more people fancy a day in the forests watching rallying?
Old 21-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Am i picking you up steve , already picking rich up ?
Old 21-02-2010, 06:27 PM

if thats ok CJ then it sounds like the best idea, doesn't look like theres enough interest to need a couple of cars at the moment so a lift would be great
Old 21-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

You wont have to worry about your new splitter either
Old 21-02-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
You wont have to worry about your new splitter either
Or getting mud on the new seats!
Old 23-02-2010, 10:30 PM

looks like Andy Burton's entering his Peugeot Cosworth

Not seen it before on stage, so looking forward to it! Have a look at this clip to see what the car sounds like:

Old 23-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Sounds nice
Old 28-02-2010, 11:17 AM

Photo thread is here: http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ed=1#post39045

For anyone who fancies coming along to a rally at some point, the next ones I'll be doing are:

Tempest Rally - 6th November (new Aldershot so easily day out from South East)
Wales Rally GB - 12th, 13th, 14th November

Yes conveniently back-to-back weekends this year.....
Old 28-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Bronze Member

We went sunseeker , brilliant day out , we watched stage 1 Bill Gwyne and stage 8 Visit north cyprus 2 . Andy Burtons peugeot effing awsome we could hear him comming well before we could see him . On stage 8 a farmer lady who lives there took us around the stage about an hour before the start ( her land ) in her landy , picked a pucker spot where they cross a bridge over a river , good photo shoot for u camera people . The 6r4 engine went on this stage , but he didnt seem that fast any way . Marcus Dodd was as ever bloody awsome . More rallies please ...
Old 28-02-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
More rallies please ...
Definately!

I'm gonna have to look into going to one of the ones in Wales over the summer i reckon, they do quite a few up on the ranges north of the Brecon Beacons (Halfway territory for those that have been to Wales Rally GB). Really can't wait until November before going on another one!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Bronze Member

Used to go to rallies at Epynt ranges all the time when i lived in Wales back in the early eighties , remember seeing the black mk 2 escort driven by Ari vatanen totall nutter , best place to watch used to be Deers Leap , seen many a rally car get written off there, best to watch rallies in summer up there , bloody bleak and cold in winter Will try and get to more rallies this year.....