South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 29-05-2016, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Default Top gear tonight 8pm

remember its the new series tonight. BBC 2 ....Can't wait..going with an open mind and hope it cuts the mustard.
Old 29-05-2016, 07:53 PM

The important bit is just that, go at it with an open mind. We all know it's going to be miles from the Clarkson, Hammond and May Top Gear, but it will still be an entertaining show I am sure. The main thing is, if it all goes wrong, we can all get Amazon Prime and wait it out!
Old 29-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

Not impressed, was Le Blanc brought in to increase American interest? Like Chris Evans ,but found his giggly laughter a bit wearing. Missed the Hammond, Mays, Clacks on reportoire.
Old 29-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

What a load of woffle..

Its the Chris Evans show wiiiiith Matt le Plonk
Old 29-05-2016, 09:26 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

I sky'd it and So far I've watched 15 minutes. God I miss jezza!!!
Old 29-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Bronze Member

couldnt even watch it as i find evans intensely irritating

2005 wrx300 2.0 with ppp - SOLD june 2015

daily driver - new astra 136 elite nav - GONE THANK GOD

DAILY DRIVER 2019 - BMW 220d xdrive active sport

fun - v6 shogun swb - FOR SALE @ April 2019 - £2000
Old 29-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

Ginger twat can't drive,same format but no intelligent use of English language ,was trying to be neutral but it's crap,won't be bothering again
Old 29-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

I thought it was okay and better than some of the guff from the later series that Clarkson et al produced. The chemistry between the presenters isn't quite there, but be fair, it's early days. Clarkson, May and Hammond are partly so entertaining as we, the viewers, have a shared history with them, so are part of the banter in a way.

Without the rose tinted spectacles of the former glory, I think the series will be solid.

As for the cars, I was really impressed with that Viper.

I have Amazon Prime, so look forward to seeing the Grand Tour. There's a place for both... embrace it!
Old 29-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

I was going to watch it when I get in from work.... May not bother now after all the comments lol
Old 29-05-2016, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

I thought matt Le blanc was ok actually...he'll only get better. God I hate Gordon Ramsey.

Would love the viper and vette
Old 29-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

I liked it

To be fare it needed something to freshen it up, Clarkson and Co were starting to get up my nose to be honest.....

First programme was always going to be difficult but think it was better than I was expecting.....

Something to watch on a Sunday evening again
Old 29-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
IGod I hate Gordon Ramsey.
I enjoyed the clip of Teddy Sheringham clattering him.
Old 29-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

I'll continue to watch it because there is sweet FA else on the TV on a Sunday. No it's not the old line up and it never will be, but then again it's not not Chris Goffey, William Woodard and Angela Rippon either.

A couple of guys driving fast cars or Antiques Roadshow, British Soap Awards or the Kardashians, I know what I'd rather watch.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Gold Member

first time in years iv missed an episode... cant here anyone raving about it so, doubt ill even bother to watch it on catch up tv.
Old 30-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
first time in years iv missed an episode... cant here anyone raving about it so, doubt ill even bother to watch it on catch up tv.
How many shows of this nature are brilliant from the off?

Go back and watch the early Clarkson, May, Hammond episodes (or even earlier before May joined) and see if you think that was TV gold.

I'd give this a go if I were you, as whilst it wasn't the best Top Gear ever, it wasn't the worst and as Shane says above, it beats anything else on the idiot lantern on a Sunday night. It will feature good cars and interesting things.

Also, something that no one has mentioned yet, the cinematography remains excellent, so worth watching for that alone in my humble pinion (depends on what you're into).

As the OP said, go in with an open mind.

The Clarkson years are dead because he lost his temper. That's no one's fault but his. The BBC couldn't let his actions go unpunished.
Old 30-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

What got me was it was supposed to be the new Top Gear - it wasn't - it was the old top gear with different (worse) presenters. Same format, same jokes, same type of feature, even some of the same lines.
Poor - in all honesty with no hint of a format or presentation change, I was hoping it would be a chance to return to some proper motoring journalism not just pratting about in fast cars!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 30-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Bronze Member

Completely forgot this was even on. Not sure I'll be rushing to catch it by the comments. It's been a while since I watched TG anyway as it got a bit ridiculous toward the end. Had hoped it would be reinvented with more focus on the cars and less of the theatrics. Sounds like its just more of the same.
Old 30-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Gold Member

Thumbs down from me, i went in with a open mind as i didn't want to judge it but it was the same stuff with worse presenters, maybe they need to change direction and go back to being a proper car show as Clarkson, Hammond & May have the current format down to a tee, also i think they need to promote Chris Harris as the main presenter as he has a real passion for cars and funny presenter without even trying
Old 30-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I normally enjoys Evans, but found him a bit squeaky. Perhaps it's because I'm used to the dull tone of Clarkson.
Not sure about Matt-le-B he just seemed a little fake.
And where's Harris, they need to bring him in as I think he will bounce off well with Evans.

It was OK but I won't cry if I miss the next episode, and there's so much more available on YouTube nowadays any day of the week, if you want to watch a good review.
Old 30-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Bronze Member

Thought it was a load of crap watched it with an open mind thinking it might be half decent. Just seemed like they was trying to be the old show Evens kept using the same lines as Clarkson ect had there been anything else on TV I would of turned over
Old 30-05-2016, 01:07 PM

I will watch again, I thought it was ok. Whilst I didn't think Evans was great and couldn't stand the way the audience had to answer every rhetorical question he had about each car, he gave it a good go picking up the pieces the BBC had left behind.

I remember watching episodes with C, H & M where I thought it was dull drizzle that was cobbled together from a few left over films, I'm confident better things will come around.

I too am baffled as to why Harris didn't feature, he can certainly drive and really talk about a car.
Old 30-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Formerly Taomyn

Default Nuff said

Old 30-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

That does help to sum the whole point up for me, but not in the way the internet is suggesting.

Those three were mates, which was what drove a lot of the entertainment value.

As noted above, the best thing for the show will be once they find the personality and approach they will take as a replica of the 'old' way won't have longevity.

Chris Evans is a successful broadcaster, so he'll figure it out. More Chris Harris will help petrolheads, but perhaps not the general public.
Old 30-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

Glad i watched the Indy 500 instead

but will give it a watch later on tonight,even if its half decent at least there will be 2 shows to watch instead of the one when the clarkson one starts as well,so that got to be a result isnt it....or maybe not lol
Old 30-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Authorised Trader

I'd recommend watching Top Gear Extra on BBC 3, its actually very good.
Old 30-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Was about to say the same Gary, Chris Harris in the Nomad was good and interested to see they bought Liam Dorran in to advise on the Rally Cross circuit.
Old 30-05-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post
I'd recommend watching Top Gear Extra on BBC 3, its actually very good.
Just watched it and totally agree

Only complaint is that it needs to be a full hour.
Old 30-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Well i watched it.. first half hour and turned it off.. evans is trying way to hard and matt le blanc...really thats got to be one of the most boring people iv ever had to listen to. And for that reason im.out.. oh lovely cars thou!! Especially the dodge.
Old 30-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
Just watched it and totally agree

Only complaint is that it needs to be a full hour.
Hopefully over time the producers will integrate that sort of content into the main show, as that will give it the extra bit that was missing from my perspective.

Interesting that the chemistry between Chris Harris and Rory Reid was pretty good.

I think more of those two will start to give the show its own feel and hopefully will attract back the old audience and more.

Makes me chuckle seeing people on some Facebook pages and other forums saying they won't watch the new format and getting quite irate at about how rubbish it is (having not seen it). It is a bloody telly programme, nothing important!
Old 31-05-2016, 07:41 AM

Thought Matt wasn't too bad, but found Chris Evans very annoying and trying to imitate Clarkson too often - and failing...

I wasn't a fan of Clarkson either, but found his one liners amusing - Evans tried them, and failed...

Rest was Ok tho...

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 05-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Regular User

Finally got round to watching this as was on call for 10 days. What a cringe fest... I was really looking forward to this, i mean what motoring fan doesn't love the idea of 2 top gear shows? I was hoping it would be a fresh format but its just the same exact layout with forced humour.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Formerly Taomyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimeyLimey View Post
Finally got round to watching this as was on call for 10 days. What a cringe fest... I was really looking forward to this, i mean what motoring fan doesn't love the idea of 2 top gear shows? I was hoping it would be a fresh format but its just the same exact layout with forced humour.
Even worse is that tonight's episode was filmed before they got any feedback from the first, so it's going to be just as bad.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Regular User

Urg that's a good point. I'm not a butthurt Jezza fan just hating for no reason, they should have mixed up the format to suit the new personalities. When Matt introduced the stig....CRINGE
Old 05-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

Sean, of Surrey Scoobies fame, went to the latest recording and was pretty positive about it. That's likely to be episode three or four.

He reckoned it should have been the opening episode, in terms of features, as that would have meant less criticism in the first place. One particular point being, a Chris Harris led feature will be in the show.

I'm sticking with it!
Old 05-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Gold Member

My boy went up and saw that one as well and I'm going up for this Wednesday recording
Old 05-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Bronze Member

Used to go to filming back in the day as first aid .
Was a hoot some times.
Won't bother watching again ,Evans is a dreadful spoil brat when he doesn't get his own way,surprised there's eny producers left that want to work with him,and the stuff that's come out about him asking the audience to laugh even if it's not funny what a twat, hopefully the BBC will can it
Old 05-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Bronze Member

I could barely watch it.

If you want to watch genuinely entertaining petrol head stuff head to YouTube.

Here's my favs.

Roadkill
The Smoking Tyre
Jamie_FYD
Roads Untravelled
Monkey London
MCM - Lend us a Ride

I HIGHLY recommend Roadkill
Old 05-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Formerly Taomyn

I actually like the recent US Top Gears - having dropped everything except the challenges as none of the rest was any good, so that's all each show is now and the three of them do make for some entertaining viewing (imo). It doesn't feel as forced as it was in the first few series, but now it all seems more natural although of course it's still scripted. Goes without saying that it's still not as good as the holy trinity of Jeremy/James/Richard.

Well, I enjoy it anyway.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

I think that reinforces what I think will happen here. Find what works and do it.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Gave it a chance, but after 15 mins had enough. Switched to soccer aid. Very enjoyable, donate £10 to a good cause.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:06 PM

Episode 2.......fell asleep half way through guests on sofa.
Too much chat and not enough news, laughs or banter.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

I used to ignore the guests on the old version, so nothing's changed for me!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:01 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

I actually thought it was a lot better than last week.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:20 AM
Gold Member

tried again aswell...determined to give it a fair go,the guests(button and tiny temper kept me interested ) then halfway in gave up, turned over to abit of police interceptors!! third time lucky maybe..
Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
agreed...but as others have said they need to sort the guests bit out...its boring
Old 06-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Agreed was much better this week steve, same as everything if you dont want to watch then just flip the channel to something else
Old 06-06-2016, 01:09 PM

I will be watching Top Gear Extra tonight
Old 06-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
I will be watching Top Gear Extra tonight
Don't!!!

It is terrible. Trust me. Once seen, it can't be unseen.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Gold Member

Finally got round to watching the first episode on Sunday evening, really didn't think it was that bad. Chris Evans is far too shouty in the studio segments, and I was expecting them to change more of the overall format, but it was still OK. Matt LeBlanc is good and I'm sure the rapport between the main presenters will improve over time.

As others have said above, watch the early Clarkson Top Gears (especially those pre-James May) and they are very stilted.

Was actually a little disappointed by Extra Gear. I'm hoping that, like the "main" show, it will get into a rhythm and improve.

Will be watching the second episode tonight, my expectations are low as I know Eddie Jordan feature in it. I was also going to watch the second Extra Gear until I saw the comments above!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

The feature in Africa was actually surprisingly good - as long as you ignored Eddie jordan but the rest of the show was a total waste of time. Thank god for Sky Plus - I watched most of the show at +30!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter