South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 21-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Opinions please :)

What do you think fella's ?

Normal size is just tooooo big. It looks like a friggen oil painting hanging there.

Last weekend I had sticky one made and put it on the bonnet, but it looked wrong and did not like it from the off.

Evo Sq ones don't look right either

Found my old one that I chopped the ends off and I think I will get one made at this size?

As it was

or this size

Old 21-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

smaller one
Old 21-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Old 21-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Gold Member

Original size....then you won't see the holes
Old 21-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

what about the full size one in the window!and no front one?lots of peeps do it,and as long as its totally visable to a car or camera your not likely to get a tug
Old 21-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy View Post
Original size....then you won't see the holes
LOL you have good insight. Will be sorted at SPR mate.
Old 21-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Authorised Trader

Smaller one looks soooooo much better
Old 21-03-2010, 07:06 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

That is a tough one. Smaller is definately the better one, but I think its cause there id no 'natural' place for it to go. Have you ever tried it back on the bumper, or would it affect the front mount?
Old 21-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

3/4 plate
Cutting the ends off makes it illegal so you may as well put a 3/4 plate on
Old 21-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Crowman

Small one on bumper
Old 21-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
3/4 plate
I was told that as long as the letters are the correct size and they are 'x' amount (can't remember the measurement, something like 1/2 inch) away from the edges the plate is legal
Old 21-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Bronze Member

I've got a 3/4 on the front of mine. Never been pulled with it in 2 years. Think it tidies up the front and looks like it should be there

photos not best but only one i can find atm

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=286104690

Last edited by gtiteen; 21-03-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 21-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Crowman

Quote:
3/4 plate
Gets my vote
Old 21-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post
I was told that as long as the letters are the correct size and they are 'x' amount (can't remember the measurement, something like 1/2 inch) away from the edges the plate is legal
british kite mark and company who sold the plate are on oppisite ends and are supposed to be there to conform
Old 21-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

I'd say go with the smaller option that you have currently... looks pretty smart! Need to relocate my plate down to the splitter at some point.

Last edited by Spooky; 21-03-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 21-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyscoob View Post
That is a tough one. Smaller is definately the better one, but I think its cause there id no 'natural' place for it to go. Have you ever tried it back on the bumper, or would it affect the front mount?
Tried on bumper mate & looked pants
Old 21-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

yep, i'd go with the smaller ones you've got on it in the second pic
Old 22-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Nige

Smaller one mate
Old 22-03-2010, 08:22 AM
worzel

Quote:
3/4 plate
You can cut down a number plate, I have looked into this and was even given the dimensions to do so by Nathan at Sussex Scoobies.

You have to have the same amount of border at the side as you do at the top of the plate, as long as you do this with standard sized letters, the ANPR cameras can read it, making it legal.

Smaller one for me
Old 22-03-2010, 09:00 AM
SES Mercedes Division

Smaller one

I had a 3/4 size one for over 2 years, didnt get a single pull on it, just stuck a bigger one on top of it for MOT's
Old 22-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

This may help

Private Number Plates

We have access to over thirty million private number plates via trade suppliers, the general public and the driver and vehicle licensing agency in Swansea. All private number plates we supply can be provided on a government v750 or a v778 holding certificate.
The information below sets out the legal requirements for UK acrylic number plates. To buy a fully legal acrylic number plate please visit our dedicated website Plates Posted.
NUMBER PLATES FITTED AFTER 1 SEPTEMBER 2001

Number plates fitted after 1 September 2001 must display characters that meet the dimensions shown below.
CharactersMeasurementHeight79mmWidth (except the figure 1 or letter l)50mmStroke14mmSpace between characters11mmSpace between groups33mmTop, bottom and side margins (minimum)11mmSpace between vertical lines19mm

The character width has been slightly reduced from 57mm to 50mm to accommodate the Euro-symbol on the number plate.
NUMBER PLATES FITTED BEFORE 1 SEPTEMBER 2001

Number plates fitted before 1 September 2001 must display characters that meet the dimensions shown in one of the two groups below
CharactersGroup 1Group 2Height89mm79mmWidth (except the figure 1 or letter l)64mm57mmStroke16mm14mmSpace between characters13mm11mmSpace between groups38mm33mmSide margins (minimum)13mm11mmSpace between vertical lines19mm19mm

TRADITIONAL NUMBER PLATES

Vehicles constructed before 1.1.73 may display traditional style “black and white” plates i.e. white, silver or grey characters on a black plate.
Lettering must be of a set size. It must conform to one of the two groups below.
CharactersGroup 1Group 2Height89mm79mmWidth (except the figure 1 or letter l)64mm57mmStroke16mm14mmSide margin25mm11mmTop and bottom margin13mm11mmSpace between characters13mm11mmSpace between groups38mm33mmThere are additional arrangements if the vehicle is a motorcycle or tricycle.
Traditional number plates fitted to vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1973 are not required to display the mandatory character font, but the characters must be easy to read.
New Number Plate and Registration Mark Format
  • to view the list of Age Identifiers
  • to view the list of Local Memory Tags
How was this new format chosen?

A consultation exercise in 1997 invited the public and interested organisations to give their views. The system that has been developed meets the needs of the vast majority of respondents in providing local memory tags and age identifiers. These will be easy to remember and require no significant changes in materials or overall number plate size.
Why did my region get the letter that has been assigned to it?

An extensive public consultation exercise took place in 1999 before the allocation of the local memory tags. They have been allocated so that, where possible, there is some regional significance. Where this is not possible a neutral letter has been allocated.
Why have you started the numbers from 51?

The age identifier changes twice a year, in March and September. To distinguish between these two six monthly changes they have been allocated different number sequences. The following table shows how this will be achieved:

Year March September 2001 - 51 2002 02 52 2003

The use of the figure 5 to precede the year, for September registrations, will maximise the registration mark combinations and offer a long-lasting system. The 5 will change to 6 in 2010 and to 7 in 2020 and so on until 2050 when the format may be reversed to extend the format another 50 years.
Will I be able to transfer a new style mark onto my old vehicle?

No, registration marks cannot be transferred onto any vehicle if it may appear to make the vehicle look younger. No vehicle first registered before 1 September 2001 will be able to have a new style mark.
I live in the Isle of Wight, will there still be a distinct mark for the Isle?

Yes. The letters ‘HW’ will be used for vehicles registered by Isle or Wight residents
I live in the Scilly Isles, will there still be a distinct mark for the Islands?

No, there is no longer a unique mark for the Scilly Isles.
Is the system going to change in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man as well?

No, the systems will continue as at present in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. The Isle of Man may choose to adopt the system later and a series of marks has been reserved.
Why is it necessary to have a common font for all number plates?

Number plates must be easy to read – by people who may witness accidents or serious crime involving motor vehicles and by roadside cameras. The police rely on clear recall of registration numbers in order to trace vehicle keepers.
Why did the rule on fonts change?

An increasing number of motorists use number plates that are difficult to read. The introduction of cameras for enforcement purposes means that it is more important than ever for number plates to be legible. The new regulations will ensure that there is clarity of numbers and letters through the use of a standardised mandatory font. . for further information.
Will motorists have to change their existing number plates to the new font?

The vast majority of motorists will not be directly affected by the regulations. However those motorists who have number plates that are not substantially the same as the new mandatory font should change them for plates that comply with new regulations. Once the new font becomes compulsory existing number plates using any typeface that is not substantially the same as that specified in the regulations will be illegal. . for further information.
Are motorists with “cherished” registration marks be affected by the new mandatory font?

Providing their number plates currently meet the legal requirements the mandatory font will not affect them.
My vehicle was manufactured before 1 January 1973 but not registered until later. What type of number plate should I display?

You now have the option of either displaying the standard plates or an old style number plate explained under the heading vehicles registered before 1 January 1973.
Is it legal to display the Euro-symbol?

Yes – Regulations permit the optional display of the European Symbol of Stars with GB on the extreme left of the number plate.
Are there plans to make the Euro-plate compulsory?

No, it is optional. The provision has been introduced because the European Council issued a regulation in November 1998 requiring Member States to recognise the Euro-symbol on number plates in place of the traditional oval shaped national identifier sticker for travel within the European Union. It is for individual motorists to decide if they wish to use the new Euro-plate.
What is the effect of the Euro-plate on UK registered vehicles?

UK vehicles travelling in the European Union may still display the traditional oval “GB” sticker. Alternatively number plates incorporating the Euro-symbol may be used instead of the oval sticker. The oval national identifier sticker would still be required for vehicles on journeys outside the European Union.
Can other symbols (e.g. national flag, football team crest) be used on number plates?

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and symbols on vehicle number plates.When the regulations are amended they will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed.
Do I have to change my number plate if it is cracked or broken?

If the number plate is damaged in such a way that it makes the registration mark difficult to read it does need to be replaced.
If I need to replace one of my plates, do I need to change both?

No, you only need to replace the damaged number plate.
Are 3D characters allowed?

Yes, 3D characters are permitted providing they meet all the other requirements.
Is a honeycombed or other background pattern permitted?

No, overprinting including honeycomb or other background designs are not allowed.
Are stick-on number plates legal?

No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.
Please Note: In the event of one office receiving an exceptionally high demand that depletes its stock of registration marks, marks may be transferred between local offices.
Old 22-03-2010, 07:13 PM
The Nurburgring JUDGE!

Bugger... I nodded off!!!!
Old 22-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy View Post
Bugger... I nodded off!!!!
lmao
Old 23-03-2010, 08:08 AM
worzel

It's worth sticking that info somewhere. Good find Chris
Old 23-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

Go for 3/4, see if you can make it past the first day this time lol
Old 23-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Nice find Chris. Thanks mate
Old 22-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Regular User

Hi M8

Shudnt P1s be kept standard, as I fort they were collecters items?

Just my opinnnion.

Bazza
Old 22-04-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
If you take a look at this P1, you'd change your mind
Old 23-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

Assuming its legal (sorry, I nodded off whilst reading the helpful information post ) then small one all the way!
Old 23-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi M8

Just my opinnnion.

Bazza

Bit late for that Bazza. The only "standard" bit left is pretty much the blue bit.
Old 23-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
Bit late for that Bazza. The only "standard" bit left is pretty much the blue bit.
So a standard P1 in mint condition is worth 10K, you have spent 5K on mods and now its worth wot 3-4k?????? Seeems a bit silly to me.

I work as a tyre fitter/mechnich, and I see loads of guy fitting mods and only devalue it.

Bazza
Old 23-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

5k in mods lol
Old 23-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
So a standard P1 in mint condition is worth 10K, you have spent 5K on mods and now its worth wot 3-4k?????? Seeems a bit silly to me.

I work as a tyre fitter/mechnich, and I see loads of guy fitting mods and only devalue it.

Bazza
Sometimes mods can devalue a car, but often not the case - depends how they are done. And trust me, Clive's car is worth a whole lot more than 3-4k!!!
Old 23-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

I understand where he is coming from fellas.

Could not agree more Bazza.

Most engine bays that contain a 500+ motor resemble a plane crash but there are certain Tuners that do proper jobs.

You are dead right mate, one will never get rich modifying cars and it is an awful waste of dollar..........but
when you achieve your goal it becomes priceless & something you would never want to sell, and that is the only form of modifying where you don't waste a penny.

Last edited by Skullfudge; 23-04-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 23-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Authorised Trader

If Clive's car is only worth £4k i'll be round tomorrow with a cheque for £4.5k!!!

Mods won't de-value a car if they are done properly, and you can't beat RCM for quality.
Old 23-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Its funny that Vosa told me my stick on plate was alright
Old 23-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Hi M8

Just my opinnnion.

Bazza
another owner making a presumption before seeing it in the flesh, bazza do you know what your talking about fella!!!!!!!
Old 23-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Regular User

clive
just dont have one, i didnt on the type r
Old 23-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

thought about that matey but I don't think I would be as lucky. As you know Steve I have been done for a small plate before... .

Every time I see a cop I smile & it normally works but it was a woman PC that done me. Perhaps the old bat took the smile the wrong way.
It was the day I collected it from the 7 month engine build at RCM & the tax had run out, so the heartless, dodgy eyed twat of a female done me for that as well.
Old 23-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Regular User

stick with what you have then clive not keen on the small one "goes with the 5k car lol"
Old 23-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
stick with what you have then clive not keen on the small one "goes with the 5k car lol"

The IC - chassis alteration & fitting of IC cost that

Steve u @ TA tomorrow?
Old 23-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Nige

Quote:

Bazza
Bazza try offering Skullfudge £30k for his car & you might be halfway there!!!
Old 24-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
another owner making a presumption before seeing it in the flesh, bazza do you know what your talking about fella!!!!!!!

Well I work in the trade - do you
Old 24-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Bazza hava a read of this thread (hope you've got plenty of time lol) http://bbs.scoobynet.com/projects-40...p1-600bhp.html and you will see the 5K that Clive has spent on the P1
Old 24-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
what do you do in the trade then bazza???? obviously not modify p1's!!

ahh just noticed you a tyre fitter , in the trade my ar5e ,stick with the round things mate you are talking like a doughnut !!!

Last edited by eureka; 24-04-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 24-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
The IC - chassis alteration & fitting of IC cost that

Steve u @ TA tomorrow?
not this time mate ,will be at knockhill though
Old 24-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Bazza
Doubt a motor technician would like to be called a tyre fitter mate
Old 24-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

blimey all this over a number plate!!!!!

I do have £5000 if someone would be nice and do the same mods thanks lol
Old 24-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

I think 3/4 size mate, it looks abit odd with the ends cut off
Old 24-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Bronze Member

bazza must be the only person on here that doesn't know about clives car, this is what the special edition scoobs should be running and if i do say so this is my favourite scoob after the gobstopper, a nutty daily car that isn't stripped out.