South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 14-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

Default running oil cooler hoses

Hi,

Is it worth me fitting an oil cooler fast road only dont think ill be on a track but you never no

Plus what the best way to run the hoses

Thanks
Old 14-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah why not? It's a fairly cheap upgrade. My cooler is behind near side fog cover and the pipes run along lower inside subframe to sandwich plate/oil filter
Old 14-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Authorised Trader

i would be wary of fitting a cooler without a thermostatic control take-off............

running oil too cool has just as many issues and potential for failure as running it too high

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 14-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

as above, make sure you get an oil cooler with a thermostat. the cheap kit's won't have one.
if you run one without a thermostat, you run the risk of running with the oil too cool and therefore too thick and that means compnents won't be lubed properly, including the turbo which will end up frying it's bearings.
it's why we are advised to run off boost from cold till the engine has warmed up
Old 14-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

been looking at the this one

http://www.advancedautomotives.com/o...rab-1818-p.asp

i do have a oil temp gauge is well
Old 14-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
as above, make sure you get an oil cooler with a thermostat. the cheap kit's won't have one.
if you run one without a thermostat, you run the risk of running with the oil too cool and therefore too thick and that means compnents won't be lubed properly, including the turbo which will end up frying it's bearings.
it's why we are advised to run off boost from cold till the engine has warmed up
sorry to but in on this just wondering how long you warm it up before boosting? would 1/4, half way be enough bearing in mind oil gets hotter than water?
Old 14-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

i wait till mine reaches 70-80 on gauge normally takes about 10-15 mins by then the the water temp has already been half way for 10 mins
Old 14-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Hi there

I would recommend speak to the Think Automotive,they're dealers for Mocal/Setrab and really worth to speak with them,prices are better there than at Advanced automotives,which selling too Setrab/Mocal

And as above Alyn recommend go with thermostat controlled

Jura
Old 14-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

I have a 11mm modified oil pump already will this be ok for the oil cooler ??

Last edited by Type-r-russ; 15-02-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 15-02-2013, 05:54 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
sorry to but in on this just wondering how long you warm it up before boosting? would 1/4, half way be enough bearing in mind oil gets hotter than water?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-r-russ View Post
i wait till mine reaches 70-80 on gauge normally takes about 10-15 mins by then the the water temp has already been half way for 10 mins
Agreed it takes a lot longer for the oil to get to temp than the water, min 10 mins off boost most days
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 15-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

so a good 10 minits from the halfway mark? i take it 80 is around half way? cheers!!
Old 15-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Silver Member

i judge it from my oil pressure gauge as I dont have an oil temp one
warm idle gives me just over 2bar, cold is off the gauge at over 7 bar. I stay off the boost from cold till my warm idle gets down to 3.5 bar and then it's gentle boost staying under 3000rpm till my warm idle gets under 2.5 bar, then I can drive more agressively if i want, although london traffic means i can't most of the time lol
Old 15-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
so a good 10 minits from the halfway mark? i take it 80 is around half way? cheers!!
Yes would allow at least 10min after the water temp has reached half way
Old 15-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

cheers for the heads up on that matey! now i can understand why me mate holds half of eastbourne up driving his evo rs 20mph in 5th gear!! all i ever get in the ear is "poor turbo" i thought it was the seals that went giving it some from cold not bearings due to the feed! everyday is a school day!!cheers!
Old 15-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Authorised Trader

labouring the car at 20mph in 5th will be doing just as much harm...............

drive it sensibly without using high boost/revs and it will be fine

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 15-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
labouring the car at 20mph in 5th will be doing just as much harm...............

drive it sensibly without using high boost/revs and it will be fine
tell me about it! i keep on about it but dont listen! he has a twin plate cluch that is noisy and the whole car vibrates thru stress! the gearbox will go bang?