South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Members Car Profiles

Members Car Profiles Show & Tell Your Pride & Joy

Old 06-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Regular User

Default RIGNO the R. A life story

I promised Nick (Morster) that I would provide the history to my old TypeR which he now owns, so this seems a good place to do it, rather than fill his project thread.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Regular User

RIGNO the R. A life story – The First Owner

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin.

This is the story of R1GNO, a rather special TypeR, it’s a bit like a Herbie movie to be honest as R1GNO is now owned by Nick (Morster) and is being put back together again.

Once upon the time there was a Subaru dealer in Sussex who in 1998 had a number of customers who did not want to wait for the new Prodrive P1 cars to finally arrive.

This dealer then decided to import band new STI Type R’s from Subaru Japan and convert them themselves to UK spec - by welding in a proper fuel filler restrictor and fitting a proper foglight holder to the rear STI cluster. (although this was not illegal, as the cars were not available in the UK/via IM, they lost their Subaru franchise over it).

Once such car was originally spec’d up by a MrX of Y, who requested a Silver Version 4 car with a set of 16in 22B style wheels designed for the standard body sheel and an Electric Sunroof. At some point between deposit and delivery, Mr X did not take possession.

The car, originally registered as R44 *** was there put in the show room for sale.

The cars first owner was a Mr Geno Francisco (that name is important) and he was a director of a teacher supply company and was passing the showroom in Horsham when he saw the car.

I know from a subsequent star letter published in a copy of the Performance Car Magazine (more on this later), that he fell in love at first sight and deal was done there and then. This deal also included the fitting of a set of Prodrive heated and cooled Recaro Seats.
I had a copy of the £36,000 invoice when I bought the car, which in 1999, was a big chunk of cash.

On collection of the car Geno had a year applicable private plate fitted - R1 GNO (Geno).

These are pictures of RIGNO the weekend I purchased her in 2002, and is roughly what the car would have looked like when new.

I don’t think Geno was short of money as not long into his ownership, the car was booked into Scoobysports in Basildon (the biggest Subaru tuner at the time) for a decat exhaust and back Box (The exhausts were made next door by Hayward and Scott) and a uprated air filter.

I think Geno was also security conscious (rumour has it someone tried to steal the car), as he had a full Clifford Alarm fitted, together with extra Door Bolts and Anti Smash film fitted to the windows.

After a year and a half and 30k of fun ownership, Geno sold the vehicle to petrol head and plumbing company owner Andy Dorrington.

Next: Owner Number 2: Andy - The Ring Driver.

Last edited by AndyH; 06-10-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Regular User

RIGNO the R. A life story – The Second Owner
Andy Dorrington (AD) knew his Subaru’s and was a regular visitor to the ring. He saw the potential of R1GNO and also knew after his very first visit that some upgrades were needed.

Owning a plumbing company obviously had its benefits as AD immediately fitted a set of 308mm 4 pot AP Brakes with 2 piece callipers and competition hoses. The 308mm size fitted under the 22B style rims, which seemed to be the only set around at the time – so he kept them.

Next AD had a brand new set of Leda coilovers fitted. Back in 1999, Pete Croney of Scoobysport undertook some R&D with Leda on various trackdays and between them they came up with a spring and valve combination perfect for the track and road. (in exactly the same way that Litchfield developed the original Type25 ASD suspension).

As Leda were also in Basildon (the Scooby triangle), he had the Scoobysport downpipe (H&S again) fitted to complete the decat on the car.
After his next Ring visit AD discovered that the car had now become under powered in relation to the chassis so he looked for a engine re map.
Bob Rawle had not long started BRD developments with business partner Branko in 2001 and had been working with the Australian developers of the Link ECU, which even back then got rid of the MAF sensor.
Following Bobs advice the Link ECU was fitted/mapped with the obligatory three port solenoid, and additionally a KnockLink and a Lambda Link. You can see both these last two in some of the later in car pics.
The car was mapped conservatively, for 97ron fuel and well within the parameters so that it could run all day on the circuit.

Not long after AD also bought a set of Defi Gauges, and a full set of Carbon dipped plastics from Nitosport (Nito being another well known Scooby owner of the time).
AD also fitted a stereo and uprated speakers at about this time.

At about 43,000 miles disaster struck in the form of a crank failure. These types of failures had befallen a number of SIDC/Scoobynet cars and was one of the reasons that AD had fitted the link.
Ironically the car went back to the original dealer for a rebuild.
The cost: £3,411.59 (some would consider that expensive 10years on!):

I think the engine failure upset AD a little as by the time the car had done 47,000miles it was up for sale in 2002 and had been already replaced by a 22B (Yes you read right a 22B).

Next: The car comes to Kent and KentScoobies is born..
Old 12-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

Next chapter Andy?
Old 27-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Always great to know the full history