South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

It would be interesting to take one car to SRR first, then drive straight down to Chris Langleys and see what (if any) the difference is with the same car.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster View Post
How do you know its a high power car or how high powered before you run it?
My guess is you do a couple of runs. From some small info I have managed to google, it may be that on the MAHA the run through the revs has to be within a certain time window i.e 90 seconds from start to finish (+/- a tolerance). The load applied either speeds up the run or slows it down.

Quote:
If 40 load or what ever it was seems correct for your car for example and we all turn up for a powerrun, others with 400+ are going to over read?
The above would have to be performed, I assume too low a load will cause under-reading as the car will accelerate through the rev range too fast.

Quote:
I dont think there is the same setting on the maha.
agree it does look like that

Quote:
Dastek takes a reading at a set rpm and load and measures the gearing at that point and seems fairly accurate.
The only reading done on this MAHA is at 25mph (I think) in the gear selected for the run, to determine ratios'

I know there are alot of pro's and con's you only have to google MAHA Vs Dastek or Dynojet or dyno dynamics to see a whole host or forum discussions.

MAHA are though used by a number of German car manufacturers, so shouldn't be written off as being not up to the job.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Bronze Member

Never been to a RR session. Got no idea of the power of my car, No idea what i should be looking for in an operator. Wouldn't know if he has being stupid, damaging my car, risking my engine. This makes good reading. Would like to go to a RR meet with others from here so they can tell me if I'm having my pants pulled down.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

That's why you go to SRR with JGM
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
This is such a minefield by the look of things.

I never though of Charlie as some kind of boffin before, but maybe I should!

Charlie =
Yes you should , there's more than just strapping a car to the dyno !
On the how clean the place is, i've been on holiday for the last two weeks and popped up to get me engine hoist from the famous back passage and can say someone has been very busy there cleaning (at a guess charlies other half). The loo was never charlies it was a site loo for anyone to use , it now is and is for SSR customers only .Its now very clean and i'm sure it will stay that way now if you lot can aim !
Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Bronze Member

does this mean that Charlie is the man to go to?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Yep.........
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
Yes you should , there's more than just strapping a car to the dyno !
On the how clean the place is, i've been on holiday for the last two weeks and popped up to get me engine hoist from the famous back passage and can say someone has been very busy there cleaning (at a guess charlies other half). The loo was never charlies it was a site loo for anyone to use , it now is and is for SSR customers only .Its now very clean and i'm sure it will stay that way now if you lot can aim !
it was loverly!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 AM
worzel

Chris, in fairness, the Boffin bit about Charlie was a little tongue in cheek, I know he's fookin good at what he does and that theres more to it than just strapping one on (so to speak ). It's why the vast majority of people go to Charlie

Pristine bogs hey :zoiks:

Blinding news on the bogs though, you see lads, a bit of well directed "forum bitching" does have the very occasional good effect!

I'm looking forward to using the facilities in the near future.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Regular User

Someone at work went to get a power run at St. Leonards.

Apparently they bought the kit from a rolling road at Alfriston by Drusilla's roundabout. He went in there afterwards after hearing about them at Alfriston and he said they had sold it on.

Think as has been said above they are new to it in St. Leonards, but by the sounds of it the numbers are about right if you have a mapper or someone with you that knows how things should be set up.

Nice to have options.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member

how, where do i find Charlie?
Old 10-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

www.surreyrollingroad.co.uk
Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Bronze Member

thanks C.J