South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Regular User

Default amp keeps blowing fuse

i have fitted my old kicker amp in sarahs car

when it was in my car i never had a proplem with it,

since it has been in sarahs car the blade fuse has blown at least 10 times, sometimes it last a week or a month or 1 hour,

it is earthed to the chase and i have even removed paint from chase to improve earth conection,
i have cleaned batterie terminuls and all earting conections to batterie,

oh and the fuse can blow when head unit is turned off on the off button

the amp is about 8 years old!

the other thing i have noticed is the head unit, dosent switch of straight away when you turn ignition off, it shuts down about 3 or 4 seconds later, this didnt happen in sarahs honda so i know its to do with the scoob loom etc,

any ideas, or does anybody have a amp kicking around that i could run for a few weeks to see if its the amp thats buggerd
Old 06-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Crowman

Hi mate, what else is on the same circuit. Is the blade fuse in the feed of the amp or is it a fuse within the scoob
Old 06-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Crowman

To confirm if amp is at fault conect the amp directly to the battery positive and ground/earth. Ensure the wire you use is heavy enough gauge, As a change in wire guage will effect the cicuit resistance and thus effecting the current draw on the circuit. If you are tAlking about an in line blade fuse blowing, it is likely insuficient gauge wire or an amp fault itself.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

What amp fuse are you using on the AMP?

Also might be worth getting a voltage meter to check the remote wire from the head unit to the amp. I had that problem on my old rockford and i just put a higher ampage fuse in and the remote wire from the back of head unit was faulty too. Do check what the highest fuse you can put in there....
Old 07-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Also one more thing you can do if it is a mono block amp with a external gain, turn the gain down before turning the set/engine off.
Old 16-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Regular User

thanks for the replys guys

amp was a kicker and the fuse that was blowing was the fuse in the amp

wireing was direct from batterie with a 30 amp in line fuse by batterie i have run this amp in my sport and then in my turbo and it was fine

anyway amp is no longer in the car as it wasnt what sarah wanted

car now has a genises profile 4 channel and i have another problem

when you turn it up the power light starts flashing turn it up more and it cuts out with the punchy bits in a tune,

thats with engine running, thing is i have same amp in my scoob and this dosent happen,

any ideas
Old 17-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Bronze Member

Poor/Long earth increasing resistance and stopping the amp drawing the current it needs??

What size cables and how long are they? Where is it earthed?