South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 19-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Bronze Member

Default decat or not decat that is the question.

I'm thinking about buying a bellmouth decat pipe for my classic 1997. Now there is a lot of opinions regarding this . Is a 97 mappable? Due to possibly having to get a new ecu because I'm told you cant map a 97. is this true. By fitting a decat is it nessecery to remap. I'm confused!!
Old 19-11-2010, 10:48 AM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowglimarks View Post
I'm thinking about buying a bellmouth decat pipe for my classic 1997. Now there is a lot of opinions regarding this . Is a 97 mappable? Due to possibly having to get a new ecu because I'm told you cant map a 97. is this true. By fitting a decat is it nessecery to remap. I'm confused!!
You are likely to get mixed reviews on this. Apexi ECU or equal is the only way to go if you want to map your car. But a decat does not need a remap IMO and experience, The stock ECU has enough control in it to adjust fueling and ignition to cater for it

Spool will be better and give you a good 20bhp - One of the cheapest and best modifications you can do to any scooby.
Old 19-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Bronze Member

you woudnt really notice any diffrence without it being mapped but unfortunatly you have been told right. the standard version 3 ecu is un-mappable.
your best bet is to look on ebay for a second hand version 3 apexi power fc
expect to pay in the region of £300-£500
Old 19-11-2010, 10:51 AM
worzel

I would say go for the de-cat, it opens up quite a bit when you do. The trouble you will have is, you will need the map sorted out. I am pretty sure that you will have to get a new map for a 97 (someone please confirm).

So if you go de-cat, you will need a new map. While you are there though, dare I mention Headers

Thats the trouble once you get started, it's a never ending process
Old 19-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Authorised Trader

it is noticeable and generally speaking you will have no issues on a std map, although i would suggest you get the boost, etc. checked as they can occassionally over-boost

if its an STi (particuarly Type-R) then they can cause to go slightly lean and need something done to address

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 19-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Bronze Member

I just don't want it to ruin the car. The car is standard and has 140.000 on the clock but has been subaru serviced religiously. It runs nicely . Just want a bit more poke to it .
Old 19-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Bronze Member

i would just go easy on it with that kind of mileage.my green v3 had 2 owners (second owner bought it 3yr old) and had full dealership history and was completely standard and had a full service at subaru with 152000 miles and went pop the following month! i bought it and dropped a new lump in it.from what i have seen quite a few tend to go pop around 150000 miles. with 140000 on the clock i dont think it would last long if you start tuneing it.