South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > Meet / Event Pics & Vids

Meet / Event Pics & Vids Post all your meet / event pictures here.

Old 25-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

Default World Rallycross Championship R1 2018 – Barcelona

This was very late coming together, but I was able to pop across to Barcelona for the opening round of the World Rallycross Championship.

I think a few of you follow this Championship and, given that many picture were taken, here are a few of my faves:

Mattias Ekstrom took an early lead after winning the opening qualifying race…

…but this is the view that most of the field got in the subsequent qualifiers: the new rear wing fitted to the Polo of Petter Solberg!

As with last year conditions were very mixed, with relentless rain on Saturday and blazing sunshine on the Sunday.

Although the weather wasn’t always that pleasant for spectating, it was great for the racing as we got a day of watching the drivers fight with the cars in the wet, then a day of seeing them absolutely flat out in the dry.

As the first round of the Championship there were a load of new cars to look at, but there was one I was especially keen to see up close as it has been put together by every Subaru owners favourite, Prodrive.

The Megane looked very stiff on track but, despite my doubts about the drivers, both cars made it to the semi-finals.

Anton Marklund won the European Championship with a pretty dominant drive last season and he started off in a similar fashion at Barcelona.

Reinis Nitiss has a new car (the ex-Niclas Gronholm M-Sport Fiesta) for 2018 and, after a slightly shaky start, he became the driver to beat in the European Championship races.

After winning three of the four qualifiers, Nitiss won his semi-final and took a comfortable win in the final, leaving Marklund having to settle with second. I hope Reinis can maintain his form in subsequent European rounds, as I think he deserves some success.

Timmy Hansen seemed to find a lot of speed in the dry and he looked a serious challenger for the win in the latter stages of Sunday. Unfortunately his car died during the semi-final and he ended up retiring. Damn shame, but I hope it’s a sign that the Peugeot Sport 208 will be competitive this year.

With Timmy out of the picture it looked like the overall victory would be contested by Solberg and Ekstrom, however contact on turn one resulted in Petter being shunted into a stack of tyres. Johan Kristoffersson chased Ekstrom, but couldn’t find a was past and so had to settle for second…

…however, although Ekstrom crossed the line first, he was subsequently disqualified and the win was awarded to Kristoffersson. A rather controversial way to start the Championship, but I didn’t think it was a fair move so am glad to see the officials intervene.

Round 2 is this weekend: so it’s going to be interesting to see if Solberg and Ekstrom come to blows there!
Old 25-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Old 25-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

Great set of pics.
Old 26-04-2018, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

What a great set of photos , wonder if they use the 2 bucket method when washing their cars
Old 26-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Awesome stuff mate. Barcelona eh!
Old 27-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Great set of pics.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolesroor View Post
What a great set of photos , wonder if they use the 2 bucket method when washing their cars
I don't envy whoever was cleaning the cars down on the Saturday: I think there was clay content in the loose surface as it seemed to be sticking to everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Awesome stuff mate. Barcelona eh!
Funny thing is, it's a shorter journey than most rallycross circuits in the UK! I only live 10 minutes from Gatwick, it's a 90ish minute flight and the track is just outside of Barcelona. It takes over five hours to get to Blyton or Croft!

Last edited by tbtstt; 27-04-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 29-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Of anyone can get it the latest round is currently live on Freeports TV, I can't get it on the YouView Box but if you install an App called TV Player on your Amazon Fire TV Stick you can watch for free.
Old 30-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Of anyone can get it the latest round is currently live on Freeports TV, I can't get it on the YouView Box but if you install an App called TV Player on your Amazon Fire TV Stick you can watch for free.
It's great that it's gone to Freesport this year as it makes it a hell of a lot easier to watch the coverage.