South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Chassis Tuning

Chassis Tuning It's All About The Twisties

Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Bronze Member

Default Thoughts on new suspension setup for me?

Hi all,
Looking at a new suspension setup for my V4 Type R. Long story short one of the rear ohlins adjustable shocks it came with on import has a knock in the rear, and i'm just not sure where to go.

A) Could get both rears reconditioned for 250-300 quid EDIT- for both + shipping.

B) Could get a decent secondhand set of shocks/springs. Found some ohlins with like 5k miles on it (not adjustable ones however) with Eibach 35mm springs for 250 quid.

C) Go coilovers w/ adjustable top mounts etc. Anyone got any decent second hand ones about?

I had looked at Meister R as scoobynet had a deal with 20percent off and they had good reviews, especially for still being a decent road suspension as well as track. I think it was just over 600 quid with the discount, which to me seemed a good deal.

BC BR series were a thought, or maybe springing some cash and getting KW V1 or something. But that's more than i'd like to spend really.

Running 400 bhp , on 17inch innovits. Will be fitting ALK, front and rear ARB, alloy rear drop links, and solid rear ARB mounts. The car will be used on weekends and evenings out, B roads etc, with 5-6 track days a year + ring trip.

Thoughts?

Last edited by drakesnow; 06-03-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry edited recon price was for both eeeeeekkkk
Old 06-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

I was lucky when I got my eibach pro street s kit 2nd hand. Bc's have mixed reviews and I wouldn't buy imho.

if you are happy with the current setup get them rebuilt. if you want to do a bit of track work maybe get some coilovers? although some on here do so with non coilovers
Old 06-03-2014, 10:05 PM

I would say don't skimp on suspension for track days etc., but for road..hmm B roads in the UK need a softer setup ideally as the roads are so S%%T! and full of holes! and it gets abit unsettling when really pushing on with coilovers.

I think what Tim said above about your current setup is valid, if your happy with it then get rebuilt. If not then go with a really good quality coilover set for track.. or go with eibach springs/Bilstein's or ohlins and have a more fast road setup. Don't skimp though on cheap coilovers

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Bronze Member

Yeah those ohlins are really quite good, and have done well on track thus far so.

I had heard mixed reviews on the BC's which had raised concern, (although I have read posts from forum members saying that they liked them).

I'm thinking though for refurb money I could put in a bit more and get coilovers secondhand or something which could be better in the long run.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Bronze Member

Good points D, I agree with what you say and definitely am concerned with road feel as wouldn't want to be tooooooo beat up . That being said I don't mind a slightly more firm ride.

What sort of spring size would you suggest for the car? It's already pretty low as is, and I don't know which springs it came with exactly with the ohlins on it.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakesnow View Post
Yeah those ohlins are really quite good, and have done well on track thus far so.

I had heard mixed reviews on the BC's which had raised concern, (although I have read posts from forum members saying that they liked them).

I'm thinking though for refurb money I could put in a bit more and get coilovers secondhand or something which could be better in the long run.
Personally wouldn't buy second hand coilovers, as you just don't know the history, unless they are:- "bought these but couldn't fit due to change in circumstances" you will end up having to refurb much sooner, (and cost of new already spent etc)..

If you do go down the Coilover route then budget for 1k bare minimum if your going coilovers and add fitting and a good alignment of course. The difference between a cheap set where there can be wild differences between spring/damper rates on left/right sides of the car to a slightly better made set will be night and day.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakesnow View Post
Good points D, I agree with what you say and definitely am concerned with road feel as wouldn't want to be tooooooo beat up . That being said I don't mind a slightly more firm ride.

What sort of spring size would you suggest for the car? It's already pretty low as is, and I don't know which springs it came with exactly with the ohlins on it.
If you want to know about springs you have to talk to Silversurfer, that guy has some kind of strange spring fetish, I think he sleeps with a set.. (different ones on different nights of the week) so I've heard!
He also has a room of pictures (much like a serial killer) where he keeps pictures of everyone on SES's springs!

On my old classic STI I ran eibach springs (30mm drop) with new KYB shocks.. Whiteline drop links, camber bolts etc. It handled very well with a fast road geo setup, (1.5 degrees or so of camber and some fairly sticky rubber) it was however only 333bhp-330lb/ft quite a way shy of the power you have in your lighter type R

Last edited by Ginola; 06-03-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Someone on gumtree is selling a full set of blistein coilovers for a classic for £400 and all they need is a good clean .
Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post
If you want to know about springs you have to talk to Silversurfer, that guy has some kind of strange spring fetish, I think he sleeps with a set.. (different ones on different nights of the week) so I've heard!
He also has a room of pictures (much like a serial killer) where he keeps pictures of everyone on SES's springs!

On my old classic STI I ran eibach springs (30mm drop) with new KYB shocks.. Whiteline drop links, camber bolts etc. It handled very well with a fast road geo setup, (1.5 degrees or so of camber and some fairly sticky rubber) it was however only 333bhp-330lb/ft quite a way shy of the power you have in your lighter type R
Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all thoughts so far . I definitely agree I wouldn't want to take chances which is why I wondered if anyone had anything.

Going to keep looking, asking and reading : D. I shall perhaps even have words with the almighty surfer himself.

Im pretty comfortable with settings and stuff I want and all the rest ...just going to have to decide which precise route to get me there .
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Bronze Member

Ps someone post a pic of the spring shrine
Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

SPRINGS.....did someone mention SPRINGS

Fast Road or Track is the big question.......

I have found that trying to get the ultimate handling is a big compromise.
I have tried many springs over the last few months, some are fantatstic for fast road and for soaking up all the bumps, yumps and dips and really allow you to push on.
BUT
If you stiffen or lower it just a touch too much is becomes more track focused, giving you a much better tight smooth corner grin factor but the ability to push on down your average UK A/B road is severlly compromised.

So you have to decide....how many times and where are you going to experience the uber smooth corner, be it long and fast or short and tight, compared to how many time you want to blast cross country down your favorite dipping and bucking A/B road ???

My current setup is great when it's just me in the car. But the weight of a few bodies (even just kids) or even a full tank of fuel and it starts to be compromised. I took the car out with the family last week and TBH I really didn't like it. Alot of the fun of being able to push on was gone, so you just plodded along bucking and bouncing all the way.........

The classic also doesn't have the clearances of the Newage, so dropping too low and you soon start to hit arch lips, rear inner arches or front arch liners....as I have done, even when running the supposed ultimate McPherson Bilstein strut...I think the slightly taller 18 inch wheel, even on 35 profile is making the difference between hitting the bump stops or hit the arch with the tyre (I would assume that Prodrive/Bilstein set the bumpstops in the right place, but at worst only for a 7.5x18 ET53, not 8x18 ET51 where the inner arch moves closer to tyre contact due to the profile or the arch liner plastic or rear metall inner arch).
Old 08-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Bronze Member

Good thoughts scott especially on clearance. Thats definitely a point I was pondering. Thanks for pm just responded .