South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 13-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Bronze Member

Default sigma alarms on classics

my sigma on my MY99 is very tempramental as in there are certain places it does not like an lewes is one of them. fob just does nothing an i dont have the pin.

i came across this thread on the net that not only describes my exact fault but tells you how to wipe the pin and program in a pin of your choice an it works! i thought i would post it up incase anyone else is haveing the same problem.
sorry its abit long but im sure it will be of help

Radio Lock Out:
All alarm systems manufactured for use in the UK in ’99 were required to operate on the frequency of 433MHz. Subsequently, in late 2000, the government allowed the introduction of the “Tetra” radio network for telecommunications companies, the military, police, fire and ambulance services etc, which was allocated the 420-430MHz bandwidths.

Although not exactly the same frequency, these “Tetra” transmitters are licensed and so are allowed to operate at around 20,000 watts, compared with the alarm systems 0.5 watt radio key (necessary so that your radio keys remain exempt from annual licensing fees!)

As a result, when you are near a transmitting “Tetra” mast you can get a degree of “bleed over” as their signal is so much stronger and this can swamp the transmission from the radio key.

This problem is not exclusive to this system and can occur on any number of manufacturers systems produced prior to 2001.

The receiver boards were redesigned to focus more accurately on the 433.92HHz frequency as soon as this problem became evident, however, systems manufactured before 2001, with the older receiver boards that may have experienced this problem, are not faulty and were not considered eligible for warranty.
However, as a goodwill measure, customers who suffered from “exceptional” radio lock-out (ie lived or worked below a mast) were offered an upgraded receiver board whilst the vehicle was still within the warranty period.

Avoidance:
There are a few points that should be remembered:

- All vehicles that passed through the import centre from January 2001 are equipped with the latest receiver boards that are "Tetra Resistant" and so should not experience this problem.

- A keypad is fitted to ALL models with the UK standard fit alarm system (from 99 MY) as an emergency override, in the event of loss, damage, flat radio key battery etc. (The keypad also allows the driver to access a number of features and is a complete programming tool for the dealers) and so pushing/recovery of vehicle’s should not be necessary provided you know your override PIN and ow to operate the keypad.

- The keypad can NOT be affected by "Radio Lock-Out", as it is hard wired into the system and does not rely on a radio transmission.

Keypad Use:
- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a secuity feature to prevent random attempts at steeling the vehicle, however, it is also an inconvenience if you are suffering "Radio Lock Out" and enter your PIN incorrectly.

- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.

If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be aborted and started again after 30 seconds.

Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.

Summary:
My advice is to read the alarm system's instruction manual and practice entering the PIN before you need it. If you do not know your PIN, or bought the car second hand (in which case the PIN may have been changed by the previous owner) you can change the PIN to one of your own choosing, using the keypad, provided that you have a working Radio Key.

Changing your PIN:
- Arm and then Disarm the system using a working Radio Key.
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad: *17856*92*wxyz*wxyz# (where wxyz is your new PIN code)
- Arm the system with the Radio Key
- You should now be able to disarm the system using the new PIN code
Old 18-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Very useful!!

Old 18-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Had to do this to ours too, locked out at the back of Bognor Police Station!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 08-12-2011, 02:18 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Is there a knack to this ?. I need to do this as I don't have the code but do have fob, and I park near a tetra mast which causes me problems.

I tried this earlier, and couldn't get it to work and think I may have even locked myself out now having tried 3 times. When I was trying this the keypad at first It was flashing albiet a bit random, but not I dont get any LED

Cheers
Old 08-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Authorised Trader

if you dont hit the keys juist right it does "shut down" for a timed period before it will allow you to retry............

personally always find a pencil or similiar better than simply pressing the pad with your fingers

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 PM

The problem has changed. I now get the LED flashing on the keypad, but its flashing fast and constantly even when you drive all the time, even when locked and car left.!

Anyone got any thoughts.! I tried disconnecting the battery quickly but that didn't stop it..
Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
if you dont hit the keys juist right it does "shut down" for a timed period before it will allow you to retry............

personally always find a pencil or similiar better than simply pressing the pad with your fingers
I think it locks out for 30mins if you get the code wrong a few times. Mine (And alot of others) never works near a Tescos, I always use the code but did c0ck it up once and had to sit there for half hour!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Bronze Member

dont worry rob mine did the same thing when i did mine.
the trick is to do the sequence an new code very fast as you have to do it within so many seconds

if you have anymore issues give me a shout an i will pop round an do it for you.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Cheers mate. Might take you up on that offer.

But currently it seems to be doing some wierd things. The LED was flashing fast again this morning. But by the time I got to work the LED has gone out. But when I press any button the keypad I get nothing, not blinks no nothing.

Will have another look later.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Got mine fixed in the end. It was the keypad that was caput.!, but picked up a complete new unit frm Ebay for £25 delivered. Fitted it and changed code and works fine now. Job well done, and no longer in danger of getting stuck somewhere.

The unit also came with comprenhensive instructions to change various other things including recoding key etc. Which is fairly handy reference.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Bronze Member

glad you got it sorted rob!