South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 27-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Default heat wrap advise?

hi all i have just brought a new extended decat downpipe + center debaiting wether to wrap it or not? what is the purpose of heat wrapping and is there any dos or donts cheers!
Old 27-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Soz to hijack this thread but also what is the best heat wrap to use ?
Old 27-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I get mine from ebay. i think the seller is also an exhaust manufacturer and the clue is on their ebay name but it doesn't come to mind at present.
Its usually about £11-£15 for 10 meters with some stainless ties.

I would recommend the downpipe is wrapped as not only does it give heat protection but also stops the annoying ringing noise when the stainless pipe resonates especially when cold

wrapping centre makes it better still. 10m will be enough for downpipe or centre pipe.
Old 27-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

I'd wrap the downpipe, but probably wouldn't bother with the centre personally.

Ebays a good bet for heatwrap, but i wouldn't automatically go for the cheapest, some of the budget stuff is nasty. Did an uppipe a few years ago on a budget and the stuff got everywhere and left my hands itchy for ages.

Recently did my downpipe with this, its much better stuff
http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/Exh...ap-/p-105-409/
Old 28-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

DEI wrap and stainless lockwire. Recently did my headers and despite the blood, I promise it's the way to go (if it was good enough for Harvey it'll do for me)! I have a set of lockwire pliers people can borrow if they want.

'Here are the instructions based on my practical experience:

Heat wrapping is not difficult if you follow these instructions but you cannot expect to achieve a professional standard on your first heat wrap operation unless you follow these instructions exactly.
Because of the cost of heat wrap ties I only use stainless steel tie wire and generally the more ties the better the job.
To use tie wire it is best to have a set of tie wire pliers/ lock wire pliers which makes twisting the tie wire that much easier.

The DEI heat wrap has a stitching down each side to show the amount of overlap required and you should follow the overlap guide stitching where possible. This is not possible on the inside of tight bends.
The wrap should be applied damp but not wet. There are chemicals in the wrap to help it bind and these should not be diluted out. You can use a house plant leaf sprayer or any other water aerosol/spray to dampen the wrap or set the tap to a very fine trickle and run the wrap through the trickle quite quickly. In a few minutes the water will have spread evenly throughout the fabric to dampen it. Do not let the impregnated chemicals run out.
Wrap from the bottom to the top with the appropriate overlay.
Keep the wrap as tight as possible.
Remember that the wrap on the outside of a bend requires more material and therefore the corresponding inside of the bend will have big overlaps and on a tight bend this can be almost 100%.
Do not cut the wrap in to short lengths but try to apply in continuous lengths and certainly 15 feet at a time.
The rolls come in 50 foot by 2" .
A 3" open neck downpipe wll generally take three quarters of a roll of wrap done properly.
Remember. Keep it tight.
Tie at the end and then every 3 or 4 inches but on curves or corners you can increase the number of ties.
The tie must be applied while the wrap is still damp.
Cut off any strands and loose ends.
When put on the car first there will be a lot of moisture released from the wrap. Do not be alarmed.
On damp and humid days the wrap will absorb moisture so again there will be a lot of steam.
It is quite normal for the wrap to smell for three weeks after applying as it dries through thoroughly.
Happy wrapping.

Regards,
Harvey Smith.'

Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter

Last edited by SpecB; 28-02-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 28-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

nice one chaps! ive come across the thermo tec which looks good but if i can get away with the cheape 50m-2" then il buy that! i take it manky cloths is the way forward!
Old 28-02-2013, 08:39 AM

what headers arethose above? i think i have a the same but ceramic coated, i was told they wereRCM's but i am not convinced.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 28-02-2013, 11:00 AM

GT pec headers as sold by RCM, Lateral etc. these have the Harvey Up-Pipe though, ceramic coated genuine RCM/Laterals are around £800 new!

Check the flange where they mount to the heads, if they have the logo and the raised part like those above then they are genuine, also they should be 3 bolt to the up-pipe.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter

Last edited by SpecB; 28-02-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 28-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
nice one chaps! ive come across the thermo tec which looks good but if i can get away with the cheape 50m-2" then il buy that! i take it manky cloths is the way forward!
Depends on how long your going to keep the car, I find the cheap stuff breaks up, had the better therma stuff and It still looked brand new 2 years later
Old 28-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Silver Member

just brought some 30m/50mm black/grey wrap £30 posted plust 10 ss ties, the decat is extended so might have to buy some ss tie wire if i can find some!
Old 28-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
I'd wrap the downpipe, but probably wouldn't bother with the centre personally.

Ebays a good bet for heatwrap, but i wouldn't automatically go for the cheapest, some of the budget stuff is nasty. Did an uppipe a few years ago. on a budget and the stuff got everywhere and left my hands itchy for ages.

Recently did my downpipe with this, its much better stuff
http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/Exh...ap-/p-105-409/
just see the link thats the stuff i just brought off ebay and £20 cheaper,the downpipe i also just brought replaces down pipe plus the center cat, would you think 10ss ties would be enough for the job or is it worth getting some tiewire? cheers
Old 28-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

I use the Magna wrap
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 AM

I've used both the TV Magna and the std DEI, the Magna arrears to last well and is easy to use in that you don't need to wet it, it doesn't itch and drop fibres everywhere, the DEI however gives a much tighter wrap and is more conforming around bends etc. however it is harder to use.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Silver Member

were abouts did you get your ss tie wire from? just brought some 8" ss ties but there not even big enough to wrap around the 3" pipe so goin to have to double them up and use wire inbetween only having now 5 doubled up cheers
Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Tie wire from Alyn @ asPerformance lock wire pliers from Demon Tweeks
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

cheers!