South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Silver Member

Default driving in the states

im off too the states soon and never driven out there any thing i need to know ?? what do i need to watch out for pit falls etc ? any advice would be gratefully accepted
Old 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Bronze Member

Only they drive on the other side of the road, cops carry Guns and Tazers and will use them.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Gold Member

and if you drive onto daytona beach and park up(if you was going to florida etc),when you go to leave dont turn ya wheels first and sink into the sand,not saying i did that
Old 03-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

cruise control is your friend on the interstates, speed limit can vary state to state. oh, and you can turn right whilst a traffic light is still red (great law that one - really works!). erm..... people seem to undertake lots.

where abouts will you be driving?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Bronze Member

There are some *great* driving roads in the US - whatever anyone says!

55mph limit = 65 for the locals!

BUT remember the cops have guns! If everyone else slows down, then do the same

INSIST you get a satnav with the hire car - road signs are rubbish in the US unless you are really close to a destination - especially if you need to get the car back to the airport to make a flight....

Spend some time on the internet researching the best roads to drive on before you go.

Be prepared for idiots manning the hire car desk - book in advance and don't be surprised if the car you have reserved is not available. If this is the case, kick up a stink and make sure you get an upgrade....

And most of all, ENJOY!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
cruise control is your friend on the interstates, speed limit can vary state to state. oh, and you can turn right whilst a traffic light is still red (great law that one - really works!). erm..... people seem to undertake lots.

where abouts will you be driving?

hey steve driving from dc to deleware to the beach then back to dc then chickened out and getting train up to nyc tried to get a stang but they insisted that it had only 2 seats but i said they have 4 as taking girls but no joy then went for hemi but wanted £700 for 5 days so ended up with some yank 4 door but with v8
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabusMY94 View Post
There are some *great* driving roads in the US - whatever anyone says!

55mph limit = 65 for the locals!

BUT remember the cops have guns! If everyone else slows down, then do the same

INSIST you get a satnav with the hire car - road signs are rubbish in the US unless you are really close to a destination - especially if you need to get the car back to the airport to make a flight....

Spend some time on the internet researching the best roads to drive on before you go.

Be prepared for idiots manning the hire car desk - book in advance and don't be surprised if the car you have reserved is not available. If this is the case, kick up a stink and make sure you get an upgrade....

And most of all, ENJOY!

thanks yea got the sat nav and will enjoy forgot they carry guns and stuff
will try get up grade anyway still want a stang
Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba View Post
thanks yea got the sat nav and will enjoy forgot they carry guns and stuff
will try get up grade anyway still want a stang
He*tz were the only ones to offer Mustangs when I was on the West coast but they have limited stocks so ended up loosing out even though I'd booked it weeks in advance (didn't fancy the 6hr wait in case another was returned....)

I think it was only the V6 versions of the Mustangs they use and so the Infinity G37 I got upgraded to (same engine as the Nissan 370Z) probably was a good deal...
Old 05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
worzel

Where exactly are you off to Sim?

As laws are different in many states. For example we drove from Nevada to California recently. There are 2 laws that were diferent.

In Nevada, unless a sign tells you different, you are allowed to turn right on a red light if it is safe to do so. Also, in Nevada you can perform U Turns, where in California you can't.

At box Junctions, you will find that people take it in turns, going clockwise.

You will enjoy driving in the USA, it really is no bother at all, drivers are generally far more courteous then you will find over here.

Have fun mate.
Old 24-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
Where exactly are you off to Sim?

As laws are different in many states. For example we drove from Nevada to California recently. There are 2 laws that were diferent.

In Nevada, unless a sign tells you different, you are allowed to turn right on a red light if it is safe to do so. Also, in Nevada you can perform U Turns, where in California you can't.

At box Junctions, you will find that people take it in turns, going clockwise.

You will enjoy driving in the USA, it really is no bother at all, drivers are generally far more courteous then you will find over here.

Have fun mate.

off to washington dc monday morning then 4 hour drive to the beach then back to dc and up to nyc thanks to all for advice just had panic over correct documentation but think im covered now there is scooby dealer not far away from where staying how sad is that im checking it out where one is before i go and i still dont have a rb5 mrs sim said if she can have another baby i can have one .................... i even thought about it for 2 seconds still said no