South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Members Car Profiles (Non-Subaru)

Members Car Profiles (Non-Subaru) Show & Tell Your Pride & Joy (Non-Subaru)

Old 31-05-2017, 01:04 AM
Formerly STIWR1

Default Nikkinokkinoo's Honda Civic Type R EP3

Right, here we go again.

Brought the Civic Type R which will be a replacement for my VW Sharon which is kind of a daily but it will keep the miles off the M3 when I do boring driving, going shopping, taking the dog out etc. I was looking at the FN2s but they were a bit more than I wanted to pay so was looking at the EP3's, considered a Clio but they were a but small with my silly long legs. This one popped up, was pretty local and had a build thread on one of the Type R forms.

The car was full Honda SH and sold through Honda network up until 2015. Then a Honda enthusiast got hold of it with about 60k on the clock and made the below mods. He was a bit of a purist and not a track guy, fast road set-up was his target. It was then owned by a Toyota dude (hence plate Toyota Racing Development - TRD) who didn't really use it. So in the last 2 years it's only done a couple of K.

Spec as purchased:

-Tegiwa cat back exhaust
-Tegiwa intake
-Solid Fabrications exhaust manifold
-K100 ECU Romain Levesque at AMD -239 bhp and 175 lb/ft at the AMD
-Eibach Prokit Springs
-JDM rear anti roll bar

239 BHPs which is about 40 BHPs more than stock is good going for a NA car.

What's it like - I didn't really push it on the test drive, I gave it one pull just to see it was all ok. You notice the absence of torque from a turbo or 3.2 of the M3 - even the Sharon has a 2.8 VR6 engine in it and more torque, so its just like driving a normal civic if you are pottering about. Not that loud, but stiffer due the the Eibach springs. The driving position is great, nice little wheel which feels sporty. The interior is really basic and functional. There's no DSC settings, nothing to really adjust just you the wheel, neat little stick which comes out the dash and the pedals. It's a simple driving experience. However, when you get to a stretch of open road, and you can drop it a cog, and hold it in gear when the vtec kicks in at about 5/6k all hell breaks loose. It sounds like an old skook BTCC super tourer with the carbon intake and the exhaust system really howls until it smacks into the round to red-line. Gearing in the lower gears will keep it fizzing on vtec but you really have to work it to get that sweet spot of power. Handling is really good, feels like an well sorted hot hatch. Its only running stock 205 profile tyres at the mo.

I think I'm going to take to to Brands next week, mate has a S2000 which should be pretty even on pace.

Just won some 888's on ebay so if I can get them on for next week that should work pretty well.

As an all rounder it's a great option. The M3 is better in most areas as is the WR1 but as a simple driving experience per £ you'd find it hard to beat, maybe a Clio. Wonder what the new FK2s are like with the turbo - found myself looking at them now (stop it).

Couple of photos.

Old 31-05-2017, 06:52 AM
Gold Member

have always fancied one of these as a daily hack, aparently a very reliable car!, looks good in that grey aswell!
Old 31-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Nice looking car and in cosmic grey too .These are very good fun on track as you get to use the engine properly , i had one for a while and did brands couple times and even the ring! was a daily hack as well and it never ever let me down.
Good choice for a daily car seeing as you have the 2 other beasts for more hp fun.

Heres a pic of mine on track
Old 31-05-2017, 11:10 AM

looks like a good one, they are cracking pound for pound, this revision had the best handling of all of them in my opinion. they dropped independent rear suspension in the next shape! outrageous!

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 31-05-2017, 12:11 PM

Nice choice Nick, I have had a spin in a standard one and really liked it. As much as most of us here love our turbo charged cars sometimes you can't beat wringing an N/A engines neck, especially a VTEC Honda lump!

I nearly bought one of these and eventually settled for a MK1 Leon Cupra R, that's where my turbo charged car lifestyle began!
Old 31-05-2017, 01:04 PM

Yep spot on - lovely looking motor...

Although I do like the S2000's

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 01-06-2017, 08:29 AM
Formerly STIWR1

Bit of speedline love to go on the R, bit of a bargain from fleabay with some P Zeros that look to have had little use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

They will look smart.
Old 13-06-2017, 10:24 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby doo View Post

Heres a pic of mine on track

Great shot
Old 13-06-2017, 10:58 PM
Formerly STIWR1

So, EP3 update - I was going to do Brands in it but she failed noise test - about 100db on a 98db eve - She may even be a bit louder as the map holds the revs much lower than redline -4800 somin like this. I may need a bung for future track days to get it through.

Wheels are on - they fit ok, they have a spigot ring on which matches the hub size, more by luck than judgement. There is a slight rub on the passenger side over speed humps, possibly the inner arch. But the steering I think does feel a bit different. There is a slight hesitation on initial steer input - like you have to get over inertia and then the steer can commence - i dont know if the wheel swap has contributed to this. I'm going to swap them back and see what the difference in feel is. I have read that the steering on these is electric so maybe its that. + coming from an M3 which has sublime steering may not do the EP3 justice.

I have an old set of 888s to go one from ebay - two are really good, destined for the front and then the two with less tread they can go on the back.

Went for a blast tonight. Type R seem to spark emotion in other drivers, new 330d or 335d gave it the beans on a dual carriage way. I engaged vtec and we were off - the BM had the legs for sure with all that torque but the vtec was not totally off the mark. You really have to drive these cars to get the most out of them. I backed off way early as a) wheel nut paranoia after changing them and b) I'm not loving the steering feel at speed.

Next up change back to standard alloys - fit 888s, see what the steering feel is like - could just be the way it is, don't know.

Deffo want to do a track day in it. Need to change the oil. It has the eibach springs on it, which are good but it misses the damping of a full coil over. If I keep it longer term and do more track stuff I think that would be the one thing I would change.

Good car, and if you need one car to do most things it ticks a number of boxes.

Fluke colour match with the wheels....

Old 15-06-2017, 12:16 AM

Iff the offset of the wheel is a fair bit different to original ir they are a lot wider this will have an effect in steering feel.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 15-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555_Si View Post
Iff the offset of the wheel is a fair bit different to original ir they are a lot wider this will have an effect in steering feel.
Could well be that - will check the offsets at the weekend. ta
Old 16-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Formerly STIWR1

The Speedlines were 50et the OEM 45 so a bit different but that + the wider tyre which was + 10 and the extra weight, they were almost 3kg heavier I think all had a detriment to the steering input - I've put the OEM wheels back on for now. Shame, the Speedlines look great.
Old 17-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Track prep:

Oil Change
Brake Fluid Change
New Pads (PBS i was going to go for) + maybe disc - see what they look like in the morning
Braided Lines ordered

None of which I will do myself.

I have some 888's to go on which should be good enough on stock rims.

Car was sat for a while - idle control valve is screwed. Revs between 1k and 2.5k on its own. I can either:

a) look like I'm up for some and leave it running at lights
b) introduce a 'Start Stop' feature which is manually operated

Flitting be between the two.

Very embarrassing when doing the school run.

Apparently the EP3s don't like being sat - carb cleaner in the inlet should sort it - something like that (I'm spectacularly rubbish with mechanicals)

I'd not driven it in a couple of months

+ VETC - really screams - when you look down at the speedo it really is quite quick
- Steering - not mega bad but there is just something about it which requires 5% more initial input to get the wheel to turn - its back on stock wheels. I think thats just the electric steering rack. When you get over 'inertia' its fine.

Can't wait to get it on track - may have to take some sound deading stuff to get through the noise test.

It really is uncluttered simplicity.

Last edited by nikkinokkinoo; 17-11-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 19-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

Great thread this. Glad to see you picked this up - I recall you speaking about it when we first met at the Bromley Pageant this year, but clearly am late to reading the actual thread . Always wanted to drive one, nice to read your general thoughts, feedback, and journey with the car.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:15 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Stuff to go in the Civic this week for track day next Monday. Discs due tomorrow also. Idle control valve seems to have sorted itself out. I did take ‘bits’ of the intake and squirt them with carb cleaner so I think that helped.

Been driving it in the damp and it’s lights up pretty quick in second for a non turbo car. Lively little nugget

Old 03-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Old 03-12-2017, 11:11 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Nice job

I'm looking forward to Monday, done a few bits on mine this weekend in readiness. Should be a good day.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Should be good day!
Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Where is this Track day?. I cant see it for looking on the site.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Where is this Track day?. I cant see it for looking on the site.
Bedford, I know about 10 people doing it, from Evo’s to Micras

Watch out for the Micra, all isn’t as it seems
Old 05-12-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
Bedford, I know about 10 people doing it, from Evo’s to Micras

Watch out for the Micra, all isn’t as it seems
Hah, I'll keep an eye out.

Lucky - Bedford Autodrome, Monday 11th. Was £79 for a full day open pit on their GT circuit (3.8 miles) through Opentrack, but its sold out now so not on their website anymore.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

No worries, Had it been a bit nearer (goodwood/brands) I was going to come and watch as I am off Monday.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Small update - new brakes, lines, service etc done PBS pad's are pretty good out of the box and you don't have to get them up to temp for them to bite.

Brands Hatch on Monday to see how it all works out.

Be nice to let Vtec rip - not many places on the road you can really keep it in the power band.

Bung ready just in case I get close to the noise limit.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:35 PM

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 11-01-2018, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

sounding good
Old 11-01-2018, 05:04 PM

Have a good one at Brands mate
Old 15-01-2018, 12:22 AM
Formerly STIWR1

Last min preps. Had to have a new calliper put on. Was pulling to the left when braking + 70mph. 888s on. Ready I hope

Old 15-01-2018, 09:16 AM

Hahah love the t-rex (or is it a raptor? )

I know you'll already be at Brands signing on etc, but hope the weather improves for you
Old 15-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Have good day I don't envy you tho r888s in this weather
Old 16-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Well that was an interesting day. Tiptoed round the M25 didn't really test the brakes before I hit the track. Super wet day, water pooled in the garages as well so my feat were soaking. Interesting mix of cars, couple of other type R's, Clio's, Rx8's, Foc RS, 911 GT3, Turbo S, Arbarth 595, Pug 205 etc etc.

One or two off's - Type R into gravel as did a Caterham and the same Caterham hit the barrier as did an MR2. My friend had a few moments in his S2000. Not much grip and you had to take the wider line to get a faster corner. Some points there were streams coming across the track which sent you aquaplaning for a split second. Had some instruction which was good and his comments were around being 'braver' but I wasn't feeling the love in the wet. He said the thought the civic was well setup and had good power (probably says that to everyone). The car went well no dramas at all and felt rather good. I didn't come away thinking in need to change anything other than getting larger kahoonas. I found the seat quite supportive for standard. Much better then the M3 which you fell you have to hold yourself in a bit. Nice touch with the Civic you can get four wheels and tyres in the boot. Calliper and bakes felt good, no drama's.

Megan's were quick - but the Focus RS was one of the quicker cars in these conditions.

I think I will probably do another track day in it, hopefully the dry. Probably going to have to sell a car soon, but I think that's going to be the M3 as it's not really being used.
Old 16-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Good to hear you and the car had no drama's Nick, I have been a spectator at Brands and seen the carnage that can happen to your pride and joy in the wet

Look forward to an update on your next outing
Old 16-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

K20 Supercharged Elise looked like it was going well
Old 20-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Pics

Old 20-01-2018, 01:53 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Looking good Nick.

Germany this year?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Formerly STIWR1

Ring Prep - ran out of mechanical things to do so a few pointless cosmetics

Bra for me car - naughty 😃

Only driven it on a wet track so be interesting to see how it goes in the dry.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Gold Member

B79DqzZCQAEwU8P.jpg

Mightn't mean much to some...
Old 19-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Ring camo - no one will guess what it is - stealth 👍🏻

My wrapping skills are pretty good I think you will agree 🚘🤮

Old 19-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Go pro behind the badge?
Old 20-05-2018, 12:03 AM
Formerly STIWR1

I have completely over engineered the GoPro mount this year on tubular steel sprayed red - more to come.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:35 PM
Formerly STIWR1

So been on holiday for a week with the fam - what car do I jump in for a little blast - the EP3. As a little driving experience it really is a fun car. What i really want to do next in it is Cadwell Park as I haven't been there before and I think the EP3 would be well suited. Vtec Yo.