South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 28-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default Printers & Logic

I bought an Epson printer 11 months ago, and it was one of the better ones because I need to buy a fair one as it's used a lot for work.

3 months from new & an error message "ink pads need replacing, contact your supplier" ??? ...wtf ?

Eventually found a place 8 miles away that could do it. That left me without a printer for 5 days.

3 months later it happened again. Same place, 5 days again before I could collect it.

This morning it happened again. With a calm composure I pulled it forward & unplugged the USB lead. In the same composed manner I unplugged the power lead.

I put it under my arm and slowly walked out the office passing my wife and Son to which I greeted each with a nod & a smile.
Opened the door, took three paces into the yard & launched the f******* thing like a surface to air missile. Pulled out the 2 leads from my pockets and launched them too.

Went back in & done the polite Basil Fawty walk back to the PC, got online & studied all (non Epson) printers for the next 2 hours. Found a Brother printer that ticked all my boxes including scanner, copier and could be set up wireless or USB.
I was going to buy a new pack of inks but then thought I would get some online.

Back in the P1 and to the office. Unpacked it, hooked it up & followed instructions to the point I read "now plug in the USB lead (not included) !! WHAT !

I need direct as I found out it's much better than wireless. Back in the P1, got a lead.
Back to the PC and finally after 2+ hours the thing was installed.

Printed out test page & looked lovely. Opened a document, pressed "print" and got message "inks need replacing before printing can commence".

Went for a walk along the river.

I applied for a C++ computer programming course. The assessment was a 17 page exam on Lateral thinking / Logic & Grammer. I ended up with 97.6% over the 3, so I'm not fookin stupid, but certain things in life dont add up to me.
Old 28-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Great read Clive

but that 2.4% can make all the difference....

Still youve had a better day than I had yesterday.
Old 28-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Great read Clive

but that 2.4% can make all the difference....

Still youve had a better day than I had yesterday.

Oops, sounds like 'E' got the bill for the WR1 repair yesterday !!!!!
Old 28-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

I always find if it doesn't work I punch it and it normally works then
Old 29-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Bronze Member

Well look on the bright side Clive at least you got out in P1. Plenty of guys on here would have welcomed the excuse to drive your car.
Old 29-02-2012, 08:14 AM
worzel

Sounds like a nightmare Clive

Very well dealt with though mate

The thing you mention about needing that USB lead irritates the fookin tits off me. That has happened to me in the past. Why the fook, don't you (a) get one in the box, which IMHO should be the case. or (b) when you are stood at the counter, paying for it, does someone not say "Sir "(for tis your name, what what what) "you will need a USB lead for this printer" instead of "probably" sitting there with a smug ****ing grin thinking "see you in a couple of hours pal"
Old 29-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Gold Member

SKULLFUDGE,did u throw your printer away.because i watched a film last week called "THE LIGHTBULB CONSIRACY" and a blokes printer stopped working.so he took it to a shop and they said just buy a new 1.but found out they are designed too stop after a certain number of prints.theres a chip in side that makes it fail,he downloaded new software from a guy online and it worked like new. watch the film its a real eye opener.everythings made to fail for profit.
Old 29-02-2012, 09:00 AM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by didznotturbo View Post
SKULLFUDGE,did u throw your printer away.because i watched a film last week called "THE LIGHTBULB CONSIRACY" and a blokes printer stopped working.so he took it to a shop and they said just buy a new 1.but found out they are designed too stop after a certain number of prints.theres a chip in side that makes it fail,he downloaded new software from a guy online and it worked like new. watch the film its a real eye opener.everythings made to fail for profit.
This must be the same principal for Subaru Bottom Ends then
Old 29-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

What a waste of time

The friggin thing is printing out light grey opposed to black and I have tried everything to rectify it.

Why cant you go and buy things now days and they just f*********** WORK.

Fudge <--- heading for the medicine cupboard .......... had enough.
Old 29-02-2012, 11:21 AM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
What a waste of time

The friggin thing is printing out light grey opposed to black and I have tried everything to rectify it.

Why cant you go and buy things now days and they just f*********** WORK.

Fudge <--- heading for the medicine cupboard .......... had enough.
It's not set for "print saving" as opposed to best quality?

I set my desktop printer to print that way, as it saves shed loads of ink.

Just a thought fella.

Have a nice G&T, a big Cuban and chill mate. Then if all else fails set light to the ****ing thing spectacularly
Old 29-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Na not print saving mode mate. I have checked all of that in the pref's.

Calibrated monitor to printer in Colour Management and a huge list of other things.

It can only be the driver needs updating which I will be having a go at soon.

G&T sounds a good idea bud.

I'll forget the Cuban cigar because last time I had one a mate said I looked like a film star with that big Cuban.
I said what film star? .......... and he said "Lassie having a 5hit" !!
Old 29-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Na not print saving mode mate. I have checked all of that in the pref's.

Calibrated monitor to printer in Colour Management and a huge list of other things.

It can only be the driver needs updating which I will be having a go at soon.

G&T sounds a good idea bud.

I'll forget the Cuban cigar because last time I had one a mate said I looked like a film star with that big Cuban.
Give Stiggy a call mate. He is an expert.

This is right up his street.
Old 29-02-2012, 01:00 PM
worzel

Quote:

PMSL
Old 29-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

YES !!

NINE bloody hours on this thing now / uploaded and installed new drivers and still crap printing.

Even printing test page direct from printer was extremely poor which bypassed the PC so it was then that knew it was the printer only.

Checked colour calibration on Monitor, PC and Printer.

I then cleaned the heads (black) 3 times and noticed a slight improvement in print quality.

EIGHT cleans (black) and 6 cleans (colour) later I now have a printer that works how it should have done out the box !

All I can think of is that the printer must have been sitting around for months on end and it took all those head / nozzle cleans to pull the inks through.
Old 29-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Give Stiggy a call mate. He is an expert.

This is right up his street.

Cheers buddy, Stiggy was going to be my last straw but sorted now thanks
Old 29-02-2012, 03:26 PM
worzel

Quote:
Cheers buddy, Stiggy was going to be my last straw but sorted now thanks
Good new mate

You'll just get it sorted and then you'll............

...................... run out of INK!
Old 29-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Bronze Member

so you didnt know that epsoms have a little sponge in the back thats soaks up excess ink.All you do is take it and replace it with a suitable peice of sponge and it will work again.Well would of if you hadnt taught it to fly.
Old 29-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

I put it under my arm and slowly walked out the office passing my wife and Son to which I greeted each with a nod & a smile.
Opened the door, took three paces into the yard & launched the f******* thing like a surface to air missile.

PMSL