South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Chassis Tuning

Chassis Tuning It's All About The Twisties

Old 10-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Bronze Member

Default Wagon shocks, springs and other bits

My shocks are clunking and are all OEM on my 05 blob WRX wagon, so they need replacing. I don't want to shell out for coilovers as the car will be 99% road and maybe a couple of track days, and I want to keep it civilised – while tightening things up a bit.

To me that means an adjustable shock setup would make sense, so that for the few times I do go on track it could be adjusted, then put back to 'normal' for the drive home. Does anyone have a recommendation on what shocks to go for? Or would using a non-adjustable shock but with adjustable ARB(s) make more sense?

A related question: my car has the PPP setup fitted, does that mean I have PPP springs or are they a separate thing? I thought the PPP was just exhaust bits, intercooler pipe and remap.

And finally, has anyone had this sort of work done by slowboy-racing? Up to now I've had servicing and stuff done by Bruce at Benten's (ex of the Walldonway dealership in Larkfield). Any tips or recommendations gladly received.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:32 PM

Neil of Slowboy is used by quite a few on here..

I went Eibach Coilovers on mine, and Eibach ARB's along with lots of whiteline parts to help renew my failing parts

Speak to Alyn @ AS Performance - he will give sound advise and used by an awful lot on here

Ryan

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 10-08-2015, 02:51 PM

been a while so a bit vague, but my bug wagon had Teins coilovers which are a straight swap for saloon parts, but i have got a feeling you will need to check rear top mounts are the same for normal shocks and springs. also you might need camber bolts to get the camber in check as the wagon has a narrow track than saloon and this later the Geo a bit.

Neil @ Slowboy mapped my car twice and never had a problem, seems a very nice bloke and i would recommend him.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Regular User

I'm halfway though replacing the suspention on my 05 WRX PPP Wagon at the moment. I say halfway as I've done the rears which were really bad and saving up to do the fronts.
I want to keep mine as close to oem as possible to went for the KYB which are a little firmer and with the PPP lowering springs work nicely for me. If I didn't do so many B roads I would have gone for the KYB Ultra SR which are similar if not a little firmer than STI shocks.
I've also got a 20mm rear STI ARB to go on to replace the 17mm on the wagon and going to get a set of CDF drop links.
Have a look at your springs, if they are blue you have the Prodrive lowering springs.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

The PPP kit didn't come with springs so I expect yours are standard.

There are adjustable shock options like KYB AGX's but never used them. On my bug wrx i went from completely standard, to STI springs (pointless upgrade really, not a massive difference) then to KYB Ultra SRs/Prodrive springs. Totally transformed the car and if you don't want coilovers, then thats the route I'd recommend. Did plenty of track days on that setup and car performed well
Old 11-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Bronze Member

Nice one, thanks all. My springs aren't blue so they must be standard.

The Prodrive springs are the ones available from PCA Dynamics, is that right?

Will give Neil at Slowboy a call or maybe pop round for a chat, he's only up the hill from me.
Old 28-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Bronze Member

Update: I heard back from Peter at PCA Dynamics, and the springs are £220ish plus shipping. I've had a look at shocks and it looks like replacing them all would be a minimum of £300. So £550 or so for the parts, and a few hours of someone's time to fit.

Spoke to Neil at Slowboy and he reckoned that if I'm doing shocks AND springs at the same time, I might as well go for coilovers, which are fully adjustable (he recommended BC for an entry level setup).

I thought I had decided on the springs and shocks but now I'm not so sure! Main reluctance with the coilovers was making it too uncomfortable for everyday driving with the family on board, which considering I'm only likely to do a few trackdays per year would be a definite downside.

Seems like there is a fair bit of debate on what's best on here and other forums, so maybe it's just down to personal preference! On that note I should probably come to a meet and see if I can get a ride in cars with different setups so I can decide what I want...
Old 28-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

If its mainly a road car and you will be using everyday with family on board, I'd still go the shocks/springs route.

On most of the roads I commute, I felt more comfortable at speed than I do now with my Tein coilovers just because the shocks/springs were far more compliant. Now its definitely a better track car, but more crashy on the B roads.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555_Si View Post
Neil @ Slowboy mapped my car twice and never had a problem, seems a very nice bloke and i would recommend him.
Has Neil got a rolling Road Si? Or does he road map it?

Once my neutral position switch is fitted I will be looking for someone to re-assess the map on mine as I know its not right since being done...

Neil is closer to me as well...

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 08-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Authorised Trader

Hi,

All mapping is carried out on the road, let me know if i can help

Cheers
Neil
TN15 6BQ
Sales@slowboy-racing.co.uk
http://www.slowboy-racing.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Slowboy-Rac...1909/timeline/
Old 08-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Authorised Trader

Re Bc's, when correct spring rate/set up are selected, they are no stiffer than the STI shocks and springs, but way more fun when needed
TN15 6BQ
Sales@slowboy-racing.co.uk
http://www.slowboy-racing.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/Slowboy-Rac...1909/timeline/
Old 08-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowboy-racing View Post
Hi,

All mapping is carried out on the road, let me know if i can help

Cheers
Neil
PM sent Neil