South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 12-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Regular User

Question Split downpipe... options?

Finally managed to remove my downpipe - one sheared bolt and much cursing later, I had to take the midpipe off with it as no amount of swearing would split them. I have now found the problem, there is a nice split around the pipe where it meets the flange (by the turbo). I have been told that it is not worth even considering welding it so I am now looking at what my options are, on a limited ish budget.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OicNrZtbmss5t3O13

First question is should I go full decat (the uppipe is currently an ebay decat pipe - I will be swapping this out for a standard STI pipe once I have sorted out all of my downpipe woes). If I go this route I can get my broken downpipe bodged together for MOT. I have seen a Japspeed decat downpipe for ~£120, any good?

Do I go sports cat? If so do I look at second hand prodrive downpipes and decat midpipe? I haven't seen many, they appear hard to come by, and if I go this route do I really want to take the risk of buying something old that may fail in the near future. Again Japspeed do a 200 CPI sports cat with integrated midpipe (and required gaskets and fixings) for around ~£250 which is just within budget. But again I know nothing of the quality of them and I don't want to buy twice.

I don't think it is worth staying with standard full cat as I would be looking at upgrading in the future so may as well do it now.

Thanks

Last edited by Jason7579; 12-10-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added link to photo
Old 13-10-2017, 08:55 AM

I have an STi system here if its any good to you? including the downpipe e.t.c.

I have gone Cobra system with Sports CAT and Harvey Smith Up-pipe via Alyn at AS along with Ported headers e.t.c. and albeit loud, it works well.

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 13-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

If you have a friendly MOT tester then a decat downpipe is worth it in terms of performance and cheaper than a sportscat system. You'll need a remap if you do either decat or sportscat if the car is current in standard map or mapped for the oem downpipe.

The Prodrive downpipes are good but getting hard to find as you know. Otherwise if you want it MOT friendly just look for a sportscat downpipe, but they're not cheap (£400+)

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=3396
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...t-new-age.html
Old 13-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Regular User

Thanks, if I have an sti uppipe and decat downpipe what else should I look at changing before I go for the remap?

I think it is worth future proofing now so decat is probably the way forwards, although thanks for the offer Rdlangy1.

Uprated panel filter will be on the list but I am not sure what else is necessary and what is desirable.
Old 13-10-2017, 12:21 PM

If you're staying with the TD04, then the only other thing I'd recommend is the fuel pump - unless you know it has been done. A Walbro 255 is 70-80 quid and pretty easy to swap.
Old 13-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

If you're staying with the standard TD04 then Filter, full decat and a remap should see you 270 to 280, only other thing that's worth doing for piece of mind is the fuel pump, changing to an STI top mount wont do any harm but you probably wont see much benefit.
Old 13-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Need to type faster, Steve beat me to it.
Old 13-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Need to type faster, Steve beat me to it.
Old 13-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Regular User

Well that seemed positive, especially as you both said exactly the same.

Now the hunt is on for the right downpipe / exhaust system. I have been offered a second hand Magnex turbo back system (2.5" I believe) for £250.

ECP do a full turbo back 3" ATD Performance Exhaust system for just over £300 - but I assume that is junk.

Or I keep my current rear section and just replace the down and midpipe (or get all in one) - currently looking at the Japspeed downpipe.

I wish there weren't so many choices, I would like new but new isn't always better.
Old 13-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Get a full miltek system .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 13-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Get a full miltek system .
Second hand full Milltek system seems to be around £450, getting above my budget really, especially as I have to factor in the remap. I don't really need the back box or rear pipe but the Magnex system offered won't be split. I could save £100 by going for a Japspeed downpipe but I have heard pretty good things about Magnex for the price and I can always sell on the bits I don't need.
Old 13-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Well that depends where you buy it from but since im a nice guy here you go .

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232495361257

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 13-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Well that depends where you buy it from but since im a nice guy here you go .

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232495361257
Thanks for the link but cat back I am ok, its turbo back that I am after. The main bit I need is the downpipe. I am looking at the full system as it seems to be a fair price and I can then sell on my rear pipe and back box (depending on which one I prefer of course)
Old 13-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

I have a brand new decat downpipe from Scoobyworld (I think made by Haywood and Scott still) which is already heat wrapped I’m selling for £100? They’re £240 on the site.

Last edited by SamSTI; 13-10-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Tags
decat, downpipe, exhaust, japspeed, sports cat