South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 18-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

Default Poorly Type R

As title really Think the engine let go on the Scoob last week, started up in the morning and was running slightly uneven, had a quick look over it no pipes split etc carried out a compression test to reveal only 40psi compression on no1 cylinder Will check cam timing tomoz, really hope it jumped a tooth!!
Old 18-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Oooops sorry to hear this..

do you know anyone that can fix it??
Old 18-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Gold Member

thats bad new mate, like E says at least its in good hands
Old 18-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

There's some cowboy down Eastbourne way I hear that tinkers a bit with Scoobies, rides a kids bike or something? Maybe he could take a look?
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 18-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Authorised Trader

at 40psi with reasonable compression on the other 3 unfortunately its unlikely to be timing related, suspect its done a ringland/piston or at best destroyed a head gasket..........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 18-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Gold Member

Yup that's my thinking on it aswell, all other cylinders have 110psi, will check anyway as radiators got to come out to pull engine out. Just dunno where to go with it Iam thinking of dropping in a 2.5 maybe :S
Old 18-02-2013, 12:05 PM

I love the 2.5 in my car but in all honesty wouldn't get one again (unless I get the closed deck inserts from Alyn) as I'm paranoid about it going bang! Although if you run a small(isn) turbo you get one hell of a road car.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 18-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Gold Member

check timing, As expected it was ok, so its looking more like ringland/piston issue, will pull engine out this week an pull head off an have a look, if it Head gasket issue or burn out valve then will sort it anythink else then looking down the route of a 2.5.

yup driven quite a few 2.5s in the classics work really well loads of torque, The think which i really like about the Type R was how quick it spools makes it a very fun car to drive, so would be keeping a smallish if not the same turbo witch i belive is a vf28?

Anyone know what the boxes are good for? (V5 type R sti dccd)
Old 18-02-2013, 02:40 PM

Most seem to think the 5 speeds are weak over 350 however some have successfully run more. I was at 390 with similar torque on mine and it held but ate the clutches!
Guess it depends how you drive it!
Old 18-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

Yer not aiming for any figures was just the thought of the increase in torque that might be an issue.
Just fitted a new clutch in it a couple of weeks ago lol
Old 18-02-2013, 02:55 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-jaffacake-tone View Post
Yer not aiming for any figures was just the thought of the increase in torque that might be an issue.
Just fitted a new clutch in it a couple of weeks ago lol
Gutted for you, it was running stock as well wasn't it. ?. Goes to show no telling when a scoob engine will let go. I'm sure its Agro and expense you hadn't factored.
Old 18-02-2013, 02:57 PM

This should give you an idea.

2.0wrx, replaced with 2.5 (AVCS STI heads)

Biggest change is the torque, max was 325lbft @ 5250rpm now peaks at 350 at 4500 and holds 350 until 5500 in fact there is 300lbft plus of torque from 3250rpm! Power wise up by 20BHP but at 3500rpm up by 100BHP!

Oh and did I mention only 1.1 Bar boost currently to keep torque down and protect the std wrx 5 speed box! Turbo was at 1.5bar on the previous map!
Old 18-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
Gutted for you, it was running stock as well wasn't it. ?. Goes to show no telling when a scoob engine will let go. I'm sure its Agro and expense you hadn't factored.
Yup just an exhaust an a panel filter, More bloody money!!!! Just was going to have a spend up on the white one aswell!

Nice figurs!What turbo is that with? Seams to spool quite well?!
Old 18-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Gold Member

Sorry to hear that, hope you get it sorted ASAP...
Old 18-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Nice figurs!What turbo is that with? Seams to spool quite well?!
Believe it or not an APS SR40, really not well known for spool but this was with a touch of Harvey's porting plus magic up-pipe!

Spools slightly better now with the MD from Lateral

Last edited by SpecB; 18-02-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 19-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

321T? Well just waiting to hear back on a recenly build forged 2.1 stroker

So Iam thinking somthink along the lines of
2.1 stroker
Sti8 top mount
Keep with the 440cc injectors
255 pump in tank
Vf34/35?
Ported headers/up pipe
Simtek
Old 24-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
321T? Well just waiting to hear back on a recenly build forged 2.1 stroker

So Iam thinking somthink along the lines of
2.1 stroker
Sti8 top mount
Keep with the 440cc injectors
255 pump in tank
Vf34/35?
Ported headers/up pipe
Simtek
2.1 stroker is a good choice, and certainly something I would seriously consider on mine.
Engine Tuner do a drive in/out service but Plymouth is a long way to go and certainly a pain if there are any after issues.
Not sure if this is something Slowboy can do, being more local.

I would suggest larger injectors, as 440's even on my 2.0 & VF28 are maxed running 1.2/1.3 bar at the top end, with a Fuelab pressure reg.

However, I do need to check the fuelling at WOT since the Walbro was fitted by the previous baby-sitter (they were not really an owner in my eye's ). The RR plot from Clive Athowe would suggest it's running richer at the top end then it was when it left me, although power was within 5BHP of my last run at SRR.
Old 25-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
2.1 stroker is a good choice, and certainly something I would seriously consider on mine.
Engine Tuner do a drive in/out service but Plymouth is a long way to go and certainly a pain if there are any after issues.
Not sure if this is something Slowboy can do, being more local.

I would suggest larger injectors, as 440's even on my 2.0 & VF28 are maxed running 1.2/1.3 bar at the top end, with a Fuelab pressure reg.

However, I do need to check the fuelling at WOT since the Walbro was fitted by the previous baby-sitter (they were not really an owner in my eye's ). The RR plot from Clive Athowe would suggest it's running richer at the top end then it was when it left me, although power was within 5BHP of my last run at SRR.
Is there anything I need to worry about Scott or do to mine now that I have fitted a walbro 255 to mine?

Will it upset anything or cause any running glitches being a higher pressure pump?