South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 27-09-2012, 07:35 AM

Default Basic difference between UK 03-05 blobeye STIs

I'm looking to but my first subaru, coming from an M3 and Evo background I don't know much about these cars.

Are the turbos on the uk blobeyes the same 03-05 as I've seen mentioned rv34 and rv39 units, which is better, apparently the 34 is a ball bearing turbo.

Also with the 05 widetrack version, I take it even though these have small arch extensions that due to the widertrack there's no actual increase in spce in the arches for wider wheels or am I wrong?

Lasty are the PPP cars simply more powerful from the prodrive remap and no other engine modifications?

Thanks

James
Old 27-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Authorised Trader

2005 STi's are specifcially different to the 01-04 cars..........

all UK 2.0 STi cars use the vf35 turbo, std 265bhp and PPP kit at around 305bhp (this adds sports cat and 2nd decat pipe, i/cooler hose, uprated fuel pump and modified ECU)

05 on cars have DCCD added to the 6spd box and wider track, uprated front hubs, etc.

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 27-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reply, so with the vf35 what sort of power can be obtained from these on an STI with the usual supporting mods like exhaust,fuel pump, injectors and uprated panel filter, is 330bhp at the fly possible?

From what I can gather the 01-05 UK STI engine is good for 380bhp without the need for uprated rods/pistons etc.
Old 27-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

I have friends running upto 500bhp on the standard engines and the VF35 can make upto 360bhp
Old 27-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Authorised Trader

360 is optomistic IMO, like all things depends which dyno you go to.........as a general rule they will top around 330-340

as for 500 on std internals then certainly i know of odd cars "getting away with it" but not something i would recomend as the "norm" by any means and 380-400 is generally accepted as a realistic max

PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 27-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Thats fantastic, atleast it keeps my options open if I could make 380bhp at the fly I'd be happy with that on standard internals and slightly larger turbo. Would make good useable power for a fast road car.

Just need to find one now!
Old 27-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Gold Member

If I was you I'd look for a JDM if you can. For the extra money they are over a Uk, a decayt and remap will see you at around 360. Also closer ratio box although its only 5th and 6th, rear window wiper, folding electric mirrors, twin scroll turbo and higher rev limit. As much as I love my UK, part of me wishes I'd got a JDM instead....
Old 27-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
360 is optomistic IMO, like all things depends which dyno you go to.........as a general rule they will top around 330-340

as for 500 on std internals then certainly i know of odd cars "getting away with it" but not something i would recomend as the "norm" by any means and 380-400 is generally accepted as a realistic max
Odd car... I can name 4 on Surrey that have been over 450bhp for years without going bang, GRD car was nearer 520bhp for 3 years... Mapped right it will last

Same as the VF35 info... I've been there at Surrey rolling road when a few have made between 350-360 with Simon mapping
Old 27-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Authorised Trader

what you or others decide to do with their own cars is fine, BUT as a responsible business there is no way that you can recomend that power increase on a std car and i'll happily stick with my "recomendations" as being realistic and achievable..........

we have done various things over the years that worked perfectly way above what i would "sell" in particular we ran a family members rally car at way over its theoretical limits BUT he was in the full knowledge that it could (and possibly would) go drastically wrong at some point.......in the end it was still running up till the point he ran out of talent on an ice covered track at approx 70-80mph and creased the shell, this some 6-7yrs later...............

online shop!!
Old 27-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

Both points are perfectly valid. What we can all agree on is that no two cars are the same. We all know the risks when pushing the power up and we certainly can't take anything for granted because someone else has done it. There's so many contributing factors not only in making big/more power, but ultimately making it go bang. It's all down to how lucky you get really and how brave you are! I've heard having deep pockets helps too
Old 28-09-2012, 07:23 AM

What's the differences aside from the twin scroll turbo with the JDM models, surely a remap an supporting mods would see a uk to 340-350bhp and a jdm maybe 360bhp. Is it really worth it especially as there are much fewer imports compared to uk cars.

Can't wait to get a sti now, always wanted to have one for that boxer 4 sound, performance, tunability and handling!
Old 28-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

You won't have the burble with a twinscroll
Old 28-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Authorised Trader

the main bonus with a t/scroll JDM car (03> cars) is the torque figure achieved.........everage torque for this is around 370-lbs/ft!!

the lack of the "burble" may put some off but IMO this is the car to go for if it was my own money, they howl on full chat akin to a mtorbike.............

online shop!!
Old 28-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

My mates is a JDM TS Bugeye, Midlife on here. Can't tell the difference off boost, burble wise, between his and mine (Blob)? On full chat his sounds amazing, real throaty roar. Always wondered why his sounded different, now I know!