South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Show 'N' Shine

Show 'N' Shine Cleaning / Detailing Talk

Old 19-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

Default Manifold cleaning?

the inlet manifold on my car is starting to collect alot of crap and im having trouble cleaning it.. due to its texture!! does anyone reccomend anything specific for this?? as i dont want to use anything that will cause the red paint to remove itself? many thanks in advance
Old 19-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Autoglym engine cleaner is good
Old 19-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Gold Member

didnt even know they did this?? time to crawl back under my rock i think lol!! thanks.
Old 19-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Good old gunk, see my urban grey sti thread.
Old 19-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Just looked through mate!!! That's absolutely mint top job!! Just wouldn't have the Bollox to get jetwasher under there if I'm honest!
Old 19-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRX View Post
Autoglym engine cleaner is good

Agree with that Andy.

I've never used anything that comes close to this product and best of all it's water based.
Used it in my engine bay for 5 years.
Old 20-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:

i got a 5ltr tub of this the other day because of your blimming post lol
Old 20-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
Agree with that Andy.

I've never used anything that comes close to this product and best of all it's water based.
Used it in my engine bay for 5 years.
Does this require getting jet washer under bonnet to or can it be done buy hand??
Old 20-06-2011, 11:26 AM
thepieman

Only use a pressure washer on its lowest setting! if you have the water pressure too high, you can force water into electrical connections etc etc.

Hose pipe with one of those adjustable nozels will do as good a job and most have a setting for delicate watering of flowers, which will work well as a wash down.

When cleaning, make sure the engine is cold... this means the products used don't dry to fast prior to breaking down.

Cover things like Air filter, MAF, Alternator and battery terminals.... tin foil works well

You can buy a cheapy steam cleaner with a small nozel attachment that will do the same job and will allow you to clean specific areas at a time...use a microfibre to catch the dirt as its blown of and dry as you go.... more control over a pressure washer.

You can use silicone engine dressings to enhance the clean, both for engine and plastics. The engine dressings work well at sealing electrical components too

You can do it all 'by hand', just use a damp cloth for clean up will be a lot more work over entire bay though
Old 20-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
Does this require getting jet washer under bonnet to or can it be done buy hand??
Can be done by hand fella, no need to rinse or anything just spray, use a toothbrush on the area your cleaning or a mf cloth then wipe off, might need to re do it for heavy areas but me and chunk cleaned moleys engine and it came up really well.

As thepieman said you can use a hose or pressure washer on a low setting but id keep the engine running to help dry it off any electricals quicker. If your gonna use products with the pressure washer dont run the engine as theyll more than likley leave a horrid residue.

A steam cleaners allways good but you really need the pressuse washer type, the handheld kettle type ones are a waste of money, i had one and used it for all but 2mins then before i left it to clean the inside of a bin on its own.

One thing i would steer well clear of are silicone sprays, Dont get me wrong they look good as long as the car hasnt been driven, but after the first drive they attract dust and virtually any airbourne dirt particle and there a nightmare to get rid of.

Every one has their own way of cleaning / detailing / valeting but if your unsure just use an engine spray cleaner and a cloth.

Happy cleaning
Old 20-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

That sounds like a plan!!! Can't beat a good hand job... going to get down halfrauds tommorow and make a purchase then... Did you use gunk or auto glym??
Old 20-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Autoglym fella
Old 20-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Because of the crackle finish of the manifold using a cloth just moves the dirt around rather then lifting it off.

you could use water or a soap solution in a hand held spray bottle just to blast off the gunk/autoglym/dirt.

i've used a pressure washer on all 4 of my scoobs and never had a problem. just becuase its a pressure washer doesn't mean you have to get the nozzle right close to what your cleaning. You can wave it around at about 6-10 inches to blow away the dirt lifted by the gunk. just cover the battery with a carrier bag and don't spray direct onto any major connectors.
Old 20-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Because of the crackle finish of the manifold using a cloth just moves the dirt around rather then lifting it off.

you could use water or a soap solution in a hand held spray bottle just to blast off the gunk/autoglym/dirt.

i've used a pressure washer on all 4 of my scoobs and never had a problem. just becuase its a pressure washer doesn't mean you have to get the nozzle right close to what your cleaning. You can wave it around at about 6-10 inches to blow away the dirt lifted by the gunk. just cover the battery with a carrier bag and don't spray direct onto any major connectors.
Was seing your results that make me want to do it..... Just had a bad experience a few years ago with water and engine combo!!
Old 20-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

All depends how brave you are mate, if your sensible like silversurfer said you should be ok, any of the ways mentioned above will give you good results just depends how much time and effort your willing to put in.
Old 21-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Try looking at this:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...n-engines.html

And buy some R222 auto wash!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 21-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

Default finally grew a set!!

well with the weather staying dry i decided to head off to halfrauds and buy some gunk...after alot of uumming and aarrinnngg.. headed for the back garden armed with the can a brush and and roll of cling film!!(wife not impressed!)... didnt really go to mad as never having done it before.. sprayed liberely waited then went hell for leather with the hose... arse twitching constantly as i applied water!!! two hours or so later after adding some more gunk engine laquer( which im quit impressed with) and heres the results...i know its not a picasso... next time ill spend alot more time and effort getting all the very little nooks and cranys... but well impressed never the less!!! oh any one good at polishing up intercoolers....

Old 21-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

To keep my engine looking like this I use the following

I've never used a jet wash in the engine bay and never would.

With respect chaps Gunk is as much use as a handbrake on a canoe.

This is the best and easiest to use engine cleaner I have found, and I've tried lots of products and methods.

I spray it directly onto a small sponge (yellow & green things girlies have in the kitchens) then just rub everything other than shiny metals.
That's it.
Best thing is that it is a water based product. Acid free.
Old 21-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Next time round mate Allways willing to try soming new.... Bargain for a fiver thou the gunk! Swear by auto glym resign polish... Have for years but bought a couple of there product of late... And think they are pants!! So went the other way......
Old 21-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Bronze Member

Funnily enough I gave my engine bay a clean on Sunday, no before shots I'm afraid. Another vote for AG Engine and Machine Cleaner

Old 22-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Gold Member

Nice!!! Anyone know how or what to use to make intercooler sparkle!!??
Old 22-06-2011, 02:03 PM
thepieman

Try some 'aluminium brightner' (order online from a valeting supplier)

Apply with a paint brush and spray / rinse off

Get great results by removing the IC and spraying off with pressure washer, (careful with the fins though or you'll be straightening them up for a while) you can also use some brake cleaner to give the inside a clean out too, whilst its off

Not that you would use it on your wheels but, 'wonder wheels' does a good job
Old 25-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
Next time round mate Allways willing to try soming new.... Bargain for a fiver thou the gunk! Swear by auto glym resign polish... Have for years but bought a couple of there product of late... And think they are pants!! So went the other way......
Its allways good to try different products, i agree with you though quite a few of there products arent very good but for off the shelf products there not bad. Dont really use super resin polish anymore, initially its not bad as it contains alot of fillers that hide swirls etc but dosent last very long