South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Members Car Profiles (Non-Subaru)

Members Car Profiles (Non-Subaru) Show & Tell Your Pride & Joy (Non-Subaru)

Old 15-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

the m3 sounds like a..................................."if i had a unlimited dream garage,there would be one in there"
each car rewards you in a different way i guess!
Old 15-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Nige

RobEvo5
I also think the later EVO’s all look more of less the same whether it be a EVO7,8or 9. But at least Subaru made some effort to change the style of scoobs throughout the generations, and the Hawkeye for me is a far more modern car than say and EVO8 or 9. 2006 Hawkeye STI circa 12K, 2006 EVO9 depending on derivative circa 18K
I’d always have both and enjoy both, but apart from AYC the scoob wins on every other level.
Oi Bug, Blob & Hawkeye all the same apart from lights Visually. Same with the Evo's there again you could look at that as a positive thing why change them if there selling well. One big bonus for me is when i go out in my Evo i dont see another one, and i love to see the Scoob drivers scowling at me . I do love winding them up by giving them a little wave or something similar. Your right Rob the ride in an Evo is not as good as a Scoob Especially mine. When i get it back it will be even worse & ive paid to do that. It woud not be possible if it was my every day car though. I bought the Evo having only been in it for less than 9mins thats how much of an impression it made on me. Driving it back from Doncaster some months later i thought i had made a big mistake Evo's & motorways dont mix. If anyone thinks there Scooby is bad on juice dont buy an Evo. Once i got on the A21 i could then smile again it really handles. There is a difference between them Scoobs for everything Evo's for track use & even then only certain Evo's. Just to through a spanner in to the works i would be very tempted by an M3 supercharged 480bhp with Ex tc suspension & Ap 6 Potts
Old 15-03-2010, 04:59 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Just to through a spanner in to the works i would be very tempted by an M3 supercharged 480bhp with Ex tc suspension & Ap 6 Potts
Now that sounds very nice indeeeeeeed!
Old 15-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Yes this is an excellent read with great opinions very well put together and balanced!!!

Well done all those contributing - a joy to read!

Old 15-03-2010, 05:18 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Quote:
Oi Bug, Blob & Hawkeye all the same apart from lights Visually. Same with the Evo's there again you could look at that as a positive thing why change them if there selling well.
Fair point, but still think the differences are more prominant than just lights. I personally think Mitsi took a back stepwards when they went from the styling of the Evo7 to the EVO8. At least Subaru made there cars look better over the years

Quote:

Just to through a spanner in to the works i would be very tempted by an M3 supercharged 480bhp with Ex tc suspension & Ap 6 Potts
Now that would be nice, and pound for performance probably not too budget busting either as a project. Must resist and dismiss... that was one of the reasons for me to get an M3 and force me to avoid the temptation to modify.
Old 15-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
I'll give you an example, I was cruising back from Crawley this morning, in 6th at about 2800rpm, glanced at the clock and was just under 80mph I thought I was cruising at about 60.

Know what your mean, Further more at 80mph, you could drop to 3rd or 4th and the M3 would pick up like a rat up a drain pipe, and allegadly keep going and going to the limiter 60mph in 2nd is fun to

The M3 is definately at its best once moving. I have no doubt at all they must perform very well at the Ring.
Old 15-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Nige

[QUOTE=RobEvo5;41275]Fair point, but still think the differences are more prominant than just lights. I personally think Mitsi took a back stepwards when they went from the styling of the Evo7 to the EVO8. At least Subaru made there cars look better over the years

Ha! Ha! Ok looks wise shall i just mention That hatch thing that Subaru have aborted on to the world. Now come on the latest Evo looks stunning in comparison. I must of won that battle hands down. Come on
Old 15-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Crowman

Wow this thread has moved on.
I have to add my opinions as have now driven the M3 for a few months.
I am comparing a 45k BMW to my somewhat tired scoob.
The M3 I love, it’s the most exciting car I have driven and the reason why is its rear wheel drive, with all the tricks switched off, and in full sports aggressive setting it has to be treated with respect, its keeps you on your toes big time.
Around the twisties it does feel heavy, and as Steve said almost a little boaty, this will be sorted by Eibachs and Geometry this month.
My scoob, dare I say it, is much easier to drive fast, probably as I am inexperienced in RWD.
The scoob without a doubt came into its own around the twistys in Germany, and I will miss that, but my scoob was not suited to the ring at all, mainly due to tired shocks and inefficient brakes, hence why I am looking forward to taking the M3 out there.
I am saving my pennies for the supercharger kit, 5k fitted gives you 485bhp and instant delivery, no lag and somewhere around 185mph.
M3=Out the box fantastic, will be tuned and used for the odd track day
My Classic=Tired and being retired to shows and events

What I will say is if I had a newer scoob like Steves or the one Nigel had I would be taking it to Germany as they are both much sorted cars.

Lastly I actually think the M3 has a sole, trouble is it’s called Hanz, has an odd moustache and smells of boiled onions
Old 15-03-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Ha! Ha! Ok looks wise shall i just mention That hatch thing that Subaru have aborted on to the world. Now come on the latest Evo looks stunning in comparison. I must of won that battle hands down. Come on
You definately win that argument, the hatch should have been left to the cupra, focus ST boys, the new Mitsi X is a proper grown up car. But shame they didn't fit a proper gearbox to it
Old 15-03-2010, 08:08 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

What a great thread. Cant help but agree with alot of points.

I quite regularly drive 'better' cars than mine. Some german, some with a fair bit more bhp and if you had to choose between these and my subaru to get to the south of france, they would be more tempting, but......... what is it with these scoobs?. Mine, to this day, after 4 years (and a few tweaks), still surprises me regularly with how utterly b****y brilliant it is when pushed. Nothing else makes a noise like it, and it humbles cars that cost 4 times more - and i think that is it - It simply shouldn't be that quick for that little money. I remember test driving a new golf GTi and a new R32 at the begining of 2006 when I had my old 2004 wrx. It was a totally standard car, and the R32 had a fair bit more power, but the golf just didnt have that manic, mad feeling about it, hence getting the STi.

You guys are right. The ideal situation is to own both. A subaru and a fast geman car............. preferably an R8!!.
Old 15-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
You definately win that argument, the hatch should have been left to the cupra, focus ST boys, the new Mitsi X is a proper grown up car. But shame they didn't fit a proper gearbox to it
Yes you can have manual or flappy
My Evo now has a sole. In motor sport there's not much better than a Cossie Sole.

Last edited by Nige; 15-03-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 16-03-2010, 08:14 AM
worzel

With regards the looks of the Scooby V Evo, I agree that up to the STi10, Subaru did make a prettier car but by god they went wrong with the 10 where as the Evo 10 is without doubt in it FQ range a very nice car to look at. So hands up on that one.

The only thing I feel is wrong with Niges comment about Cosworth giving his Evo soul is the fact he would need to tell people about the Cosworth part of it or have a badge to shout it out loud. IMHO the Cosworth bits do not give it soul. It makes it a very very good car though and thats the thing about Evo's for me, as Niges will no doubt prove in the coming months when we are struggling like buggery to keep up with him.

They are absolutely fantastic pieces of machinery, but no matter what you do to them, they will always be that, fantastic machines.

The M3 Supercharger and Coilovers set up at about 7k I believe(Martyn will confirm) will give you a stonking bit of kit. I have to admit, If I hadn't spent as much as I did on the scooby in the last couple of years, I would seriously consider this. But on the flip side to this comment is the fact I actually enjoy driving the M3 almost normally. I do always hit the sport button etc, but that doesn't mean I fly around everywhere. It's a lovely car to drive slowly too, if that makes sense. Would I be comromising the comfort it has now?

The point that Steve makes is so true of both Scoobs and Evo's (but mostly Scoobs). There is nothing out there that gives you this much grunt and practicality for this kind of money. They are truelly superb for that.
Old 16-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Wow this thread has moved on.

Lastly I actually think the M3 has a sole, trouble is it’s called Hanz, has an odd moustache and smells of boiled onions
I couldn't think what it was.......but you are right! It's boiled onions! Add that to the moustache and you have the perfect outfit for the Ring Trip! But remember...no pants unless they are leather!

Old 16-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Funny you mention Cosworth, did you know they have now teamed up with Subaru and will be launching an Impreza Cosworth? (apologies if that's old news)
Old 16-03-2010, 11:25 AM
worzel

Indeed they are matey, they teased with a picture and said there would news at the Geneva Motor Show. But nothing came.

It'll be very interesting though.
Old 16-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
I couldn't think what it was.......but you are right! It's boiled onions! Add that to the moustache and you have the perfect outfit for the Ring Trip! But remember...no pants unless they are leather!

Priceless Keith
I have a very nice pair of chamois pants for the ring trip
Old 16-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Nige

Quote:
Priceless Keith
I have a very nice pair of chamois pants for the ring trip
You need to take a spare tank or something for your excess gas! In fact bottle it & you wont need a bloody supercharger.
Old 16-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBoy View Post
Can't see it in the for sale section yet!!!
it is on scoobynet
Old 16-03-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemp View Post
it is on scoobynet
Double post.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 16-03-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 16-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemp View Post
it is on scoobynet
You got me.....
Old 16-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
You got me.....
well come on you have had it a while rob
Old 16-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Crowman

Wow a new record Rob, Cracking price mate.
Old 16-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Wow a new record Rob, Cracking price mate.
Cheers - Still deciding which way to go. So might withdraw yet.! If I had close to 20K tied up in it, it would be a different story, but I keep reminding myself its a hell of a lot of car for the money, virtually depreciation proof, and a cracking good car at that, so why sell.!!!.
Old 16-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Nige

Sell & with the profit come to the ring with the Scoob?
Old 17-03-2010, 08:07 AM
worzel

Quote:
Sell & with the profit come to the ring with the Scoob?
Something like a nice Spec C or T25
Old 17-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Crowman

Just dont buy it until the day before the ring trip otherwise it will be sold by the time the ferry leaves
Old 17-03-2010, 08:36 AM
worzel

Thats chancing his arm, maybe best to arrange a buy on the ferry itself
Old 17-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thats chancing his arm, maybe best to arrange a buy on the ferry itself
How many cars do you think Rob could buy.....and then sell.......while still on the ferry.

How many cars does the ferry hold? Maybe he could buy and sell them all?

Has he ever sold anything back to himself by mistake?

Old 17-03-2010, 10:33 AM
worzel

Quote:
How many cars do you think Rob could buy.....and then sell.......while still on the ferry.

Has he ever sold anything back to himself by mistake?

Priceless
Old 17-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
If the ferry has a full tank of fuel, i'd expect an offer on that too
Old 17-03-2010, 02:19 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
If the ferry has a full tank of fuel, i'd expect an offer on that too
PMSL
Old 17-03-2010, 04:22 PM

We bought our family wagon back off Big Dave, and the missus reckons she has seen the number plate on my current silver scoob before on one of the cars I have previously owned.... Scary thing is I think she might be right. But I think it was in standard form at the time so that don't count

Maybe I should start up a business with a car swap shop or something.

I think for me it not about the ownership its more about the been there done that, confirmed it was or wasn't what I was expecting then move on what next. Thought the BMW might make me settle down as its the real deal, but like I said for me it has no sole and can see me getting bored with it. So decided its definately going now if I can get my money back for it, else I'll keep it for a while and get some use from it then sell it for what I can.
Old 17-03-2010, 04:24 PM
worzel

Good luck with it mate. I'm sure you'll get your money back.
Old 17-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I had an RS1600i for 5 years, sold it to Nige when he ran the 'Hot Hatch Centre'.
Then a few months late Rob, Who I knew at the time and who's family lived over the road from me turned up with it on my drive.

That was a shock....

Old 17-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Crowman

Scott, if only we had garaged some of the classics, love the RS1600i.
With your 3 door cossie, rs1600i,rsturbo,supersport festa and my saph would make a fair collection. My Saph was one owner,24k when i got it in 1992 showroom condition.
If i had the choice out of all of these i would have the RS Turbo, to think they are fetching upwards of 10k
Old 18-03-2010, 08:04 AM
worzel

Quote:
My Saph was one owner,24k when i got it in 1992 showroom condition.
Eridge by-pass
Old 18-03-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Eridge by-pass
I' guessing that was when it met its maker.! and went to the great scrap yard in the sky.!
Old 18-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Crowman

Erm yes it ended up in a feild 3 ft shorter. I actually brought a shell from ford and had it re shelled, it was concours but not original, so sold it and got lancia integ
Old 18-03-2010, 10:24 AM
worzel

Didn't know you had an Integralli mate.

Got any pics, I love them and would have one in my fantasy garage.
Old 18-03-2010, 10:30 AM
worzel

And then getting back on topic

I have just driven the scooby for the first time in 2 weeks. Thats when you realise just how different they are.

The scooby feels so much more planted and so much quicker its untrue. Which goes back to my original comment in this thread.

If I had to get rid of either the M3 or the Scooby, there would be no contest. I would lose the beemer in the blink of an eye and be totally happy with the decision.

In comparison to the M3, they are cheap, ugly, thirsty, likely to blow up at any point, noisy and uncomfortable....... BUT......... I love them!
Old 18-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:

The M3 Supercharger and Coilovers set up at about 7k I believe(Martyn will confirm) will give you a stonking bit of kit. I have to admit, If I hadn't spent as much as I did on the scooby in the last couple of years, I would seriously consider this. But on the flip side to this comment is the fact I actually enjoy driving the M3 almost normally. I do always hit the sport button etc, but that doesn't mean I fly around everywhere. It's a lovely car to drive slowly too, if that makes sense. Would I be comromising the comfort it has now?

Or you could just buy one already done with all the right bits
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1573748.htm

Or buy mine for 11K bolt on a supercharger for 5K and have a monster for just 16K.
Old 18-03-2010, 04:23 PM
worzel

Thats a lot of car for the money for sure.
Old 18-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Or you could just buy one already done with all the right bits
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1573748.htm
Looks a bit of a boneshaker - not much clearance on those arches!
Old 19-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Regular User

Lovely looking motor, bet its interesting in the corners!
Old 19-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Crowman

Quote:
Didn't know you had an Integralli mate.

Got any pics, I love them and would have one in my fantasy garage.
Will dig them out, i had full monza rep graphics.
I still want an evo3
Old 19-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Crowman

Quote:

I have just driven the scooby for the first time in 2 weeks. Thats when you realise just how different they are.

The scooby feels so much more planted and so much quicker its untrue. Which goes back to my original comment in this thread.

If I had to get rid of either the M3 or the Scooby, there would be no contest. I would lose the beemer in the blink of an eye and be totally happy with the decision.

In comparison to the M3, they are cheap, ugly, thirsty, likely to blow up at any point, noisy and uncomfortable....... BUT......... I love them!
I understand where your coming from mate, as your scoob is modern and very well sorted, i would sell mine tomorrow if i could get 5k for it, but i know they are not worth that.
Old 19-03-2010, 11:20 AM
worzel

Quote:
I understand where your coming from mate, as your scoob is modern and very well sorted, i would sell mine tomorrow if i could get 5k for it, but i know they are not worth that.
And if you could get 5k for it, would the supercharger happen?
Old 19-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Not a fair comparison though really as its had loads of money plowed into it, and has a 2.5 torquey lump and goes like stink!. And you would have to keep the scoob to justify the money spent on it as you will never get back anything like what it owes you . But that said I suspect a hawkeye STI with nothing more than a remap would deliver a nice package, but not kneck breaking quick.

M3's are what they are and should be left alone IMO. A great all round package out of the box, modifiying should be left to JAP cars imho as thats what they are all about.
Old 19-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Crowman

Quote:
And if you could get 5k for it, would the supercharger happen?
Yes mate, 100%
Old 19-03-2010, 12:57 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Tempted to get an M3 rather than an AMG when i replace the Kompressor