South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > Photography Discussion

Photography Discussion All your photographic chit chat

Old 29-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Bronze Member

Default Scenic spots for photography around Nurburgring and Spa?

Off to both the Nurburgring and Spa next month with some local M3 owners. I'm a passenger in their van and have agreed to be their photographer / videographer / drone operator cos they'll all be busy faffing with cars. we're out there for a whole week so I have no excuses to come back with empty SD cards.

I know some of you are regulars out there. Please recommend me scenic places in the surrounding areas for arty car photos and maybe a bit of decent video. (Yes I know there's restrictions on drones, we'll be playing it very safe there).

And if anyone can divulge the exact location of the small dam/waterfall thing that is apparently near Spa featured on the "@mr.revmatch" Instagram account in the shots with the red Supra, that would be amazing, as he is not giving the location up easily! (I've tried working it out from Google Maps and some maps of local rivers but I'm stumped).
Old 07-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Bronze Member

Some banging shots/scenes here. I think they got a bit brave with a couple of those drone locations though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ojUDVWog4&t=3s
Old 09-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Some nice views in that vid, and the roads are indeed stunning.

But that clip also highlights the problems facing Touristenfahrten at the moment: the amount of people that flock there and then drive like idiots on the local roads too, annoying the locals. People do it, film it, get social media big egos etc etc, and that encourages others to do the same. Jeez, i sound old. But at some point there'll be a big accident with multiple fatalities and the local authorities will make a snap decision which will suck for all of us.

The best race track in the entire world is just up the road. Use it!

This is one example from last week.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2406753736068223
The Porsche speedo was stuck at 240kmh (149mph) after impact. Thankfully, i don't think it was fatal this time.

Anyway.... Grumpy_PPP over and out
Old 10-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

To clarify: The guys I'm going with are there on behalf of a package deal 'Euro tour' of both cirtuits which includes all the track time they can eat and a couple of days off inbetween.

What I'm looking for is recommendations of photogenic spots that I can take them to during the downtime between track days for the purpose of decent photography (I like to think I'm OK at it), and if we can find a deserted and secluded spot, maybe some arty drone flyovers. I've never been out there before but I know some of you guys are a) photography enthusiasts b) go there religiously.

Any photography that happens is done when I decide and am comfortable and in control of the surrounding environment. We will absolutely not be hooning about the local towns / acting like Jack the Lad on social media - I don't understand why you'd go all the way to the Nurburgring and do that either. I posted the Youtube link cos I liked the photogenic scenery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:04 PM

Good man

I wasn't having a whinge at you in my last post, more a general grump at others who abuse it. We've all been over there for some "spirited" driving (me included) so i can't be too hypocritical but its a fine line between fun and a massive shunt, as their roads are so smooth it just encourages speed.

There's plenty of scenic spots locally but i'd head a few miles from the Ring if you want to use the drone. Apparently its a no fly zone within 2km of the Nordschliefe without a permit - many people still do i'm sure but if you're caught expect to lose the drone. Some more info here:
https://www.facebook.com/bridgetogan...5303665825963/

If you're out and about in the area, the mosel valley is pretty cool from a scenery point of view. We stop at this hairpin every year for photos and there's no reason why you couldn't fly a drone from there.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...98!4d7.1582962

If going that way, there's also some fast sweeping roads that are a bit quieter between Alflen, Lutzerath and on to Bad Bertrich, with some twisty hairpins in the last few miles. But tbh, you'll find cool roads in any direction heading out from the Ring.

This is also a scenic route, from Adenau north then take the side road at Liers and follow it past Obliers to some awesome hairpins. Much quieter road this one.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ad...50.5001304!3e0
Keep following it and it heads towards Bad Munstereifel, which is a nice old town surrounded by castle walls. Probably not great for drones but worth a look if you're up that way....
Old 11-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

Ah yes I recognise that hairpin from SES pics previously.

Love the look of these spots, thank you. I wish some of those spots would let you drop the Google Street View pin right on the road!

And yes, drone will only come out to play when absolutely clear of people / traffic / built up areas / race tracks!
Old 11-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Bronze Member

OK, the trip was madness. Most camera related activities got sidelined because the downtime was spent fixing one of the M3s or eating. (There's a couple of snaps up on my Instagram @rebelpropaganda but I've given most of them to the tour organiser for promotional use).

But some notes/observations:

- That part of Germany really is stunning eh? If it wasn't for the complete 4G blackspot where we were staying, I'd have stayed forever!
- We had a rushed attempt at getting some drone footage on a deserted z-bend out in the sticks. It looks OK but I wish I could re-do it. I'll post a link when the footage surfaces.
- I never ever thought I'd be able to drive on mainland Europe cos the backwards roundabouts and wrong side of the road were too confusing for my left handed brain. But I was driving a UK transit van around after a couple of days!!
- The racing simulators in the pub opposite the main Nurburgring entrance are brutal. Did 3 x laps in a Cayman GT4 and was terrible. Even the guys who drive the Ring regularly struggled. I think those simulators are there to bruise egos and keep taking your money.
- Got many passenger laps in a E36 M3 and a supercharged E46 M3 at the Ring. Not bad for the €20 price for a passenger wristband!! The E36 did a 8.08 bridge to gantry (but not when my fat ass was in it).
- Spa is also brilliant. As well as more M3 rides I also got a passenger ride in a Mclaren 600LT cos its owner was also from Cardiff so we immediately became best mates . Also some football guy called Lee Dixon was in the next stall to us with his Caterham.

I realise I'm posting this in the photography section when it's hardly about photos.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

It's a lovely area, I went back with my wife and based ourselves in Cochem for the weekend, takes the same amount of time to drive there as it does flying anywhere in Europe once you've include airport transfers etc and you have your car once you're there to get about.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMcKnetic View Post
- That part of Germany really is stunning eh?
Yep, isn't it just. It's the biggest thing that has surprised the first timers on our trips over the years.

I guess you were at the Ring for a trackday rather than TF as you mentioned a wristband, glad you had a good trip
Old 12-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Bronze Member

It was a Schnelle Schwaben trackday, whatever that means. I just know that the €20 passenger wristband seemed staggeringly good value compared to what the drivers said they'd paid to book it! Also when it got to 5pm or whatever our event ended and then a squillion Civics and Clios turned up for the evening sesh which I assume is the TF event.
Old 15-01-2020, 08:24 PM
Bronze Member

such a great place once you get out into the country a bit