South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 07-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Bronze Member

Default Baffled Sump

Hey guys,

Few of you have recommended I get a baffled sump due to track use of my car. Is this a visible modification to the engine bay?

Reason I ask is because of an accident back in 2017 insurance companies are unable to offer me reasonable insurance under a modified policy. I'm happy to bench getting coilovers for another year, but concerned that a baffled sump is probably something I do really need to protect the engine. So if it's theoretically not visible upon inspection I might be able to avoid getting a specific modified policy for what I am assuming is a very minor modification?

Thanks all for your advice! 😬😬

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Your two options are either a sump baffle plate (cheaper) or a proper baffled sump.

The plate would probably be noticeable as I expect the edges will be visible between the block and the standard sump. But I'd still be surprised if an insurance assessor would notice something like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Subaru-Impr...j25/1523877603

The better but more expensive option is a proper baffled sump - they look visually identical to the Subaru OEM sump if you get the right one, it's just got the right gubbins inside
http://lateralperformance.co.uk/prod..._single_scroll

Expect to pay £400-500 though before it's installed!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Your two options are either a sump baffle plate (cheaper) or a proper baffled sump.

The plate would probably be noticeable as I expect the edges will be visible between the block and the standard sump. But I'd still be surprised if an insurance assessor would notice something like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Subaru-Impr...j25/1523877603

The better but more expensive option is a proper baffled sump - they look visually identical to the Subaru OEM sump if you get the right one, it's just got the right gubbins inside
http://lateralperformance.co.uk/prod..._single_scroll

Expect to pay £400-500 though before it's installed!
Cheers for the info Steve! Is Lateral Performance a recommended supplier then? 😬 Might give them a call, as I'd rather go the completely camouflaged route!

Been told by insurers that next year I shouldn't have trouble getting a decent quote, it's just the combination of events falling too recent for their underwriters to be competitive ☹️

Old 07-08-2019, 09:16 PM

RCM baffled sumps are well worth the money and do a superb job - and look pretty standard besides an extra sump plug hole for catch can returns

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 07-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Ive got a Cosworth baffled sump plate,

The RCM looks virtually the same and you cant see any visual difference from original when fitted..

A worth while inexpensive mod..

I havent got an extra sump plug hole?
Old 07-08-2019, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Baffled sump no one would know till off in there hands. I did the full oem twin scroll simple change better baffling, oil pick up is in a better place and being half moon shape helps towards oil sloshing, cheapest option that is better than a baffle plate and no insurer would pick up as all oem. But still a full baffled sump works better.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:10 AM
Gold Member

would insurance companies even have an issue with a baffled sump???
Old 08-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Authorised Trader

we do various options and pricing is normally more than competitive..........

0191-4103770

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 08-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
I wouldn't have thought so, and its also the kind of thing that you'd easily be able to deny knowledge of as its not an obvious modification. Was like that when i bought it....

But... if you happened to get a picky insurance assessor who noticed it and wrote it on their report, and if the insurer saw something on that report that wasn't declared.... would they try to use it to wiggle out of a claim? At a guess, some would, some wouldn't. But i guess you don't want to find out the hard way...
Old 08-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
A baffled sump surely just enhances the the engine and does not increase performance.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

No way an insure would spot it unless was full alloy type, most are oem pans with infills. its like asking to know if it had forges pistons or rods,
Old 11-08-2019, 11:27 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone for the comments and discussion! In the end I did go for a modified insurance policy because I want coilovers too...I'll probably get a full baffled sump fitted at the same time 😬

Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
A baffled sump surely just enhances the the engine and does not increase performance.
Same with brakes though, it's considered a potential enhancement to the car and/or value...as well as indicating the owner might wish to drive more animatedly.

Basically it's insurance companies flexing and asking for their cut of your monies ✂️💲

Old 08-03-2020, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

I know this is from last year but thought I'd add

You cannot see the baffle plate without removal of the sump.

I've just had the baffle plate replaced on the T25 with a RCM type due to the Cosworth type flaps not doing their job and at £10 a flap it paid to have a new one for only a few more pennies.

Until the sump was removed it was not known if a plate was fitted?

It was a stroke of luck really as on inspection the oil pickup pipe was fubar and cracked
Old 08-03-2020, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

The oil pickup pipe, paper to show depth of crack.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

That was lucky, do they know what caused it to crack like that?
Old 08-03-2020, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
That was lucky, do they know what caused it to crack like that?
Unfortunately no Shane. The new RCM one is modified with a suction cap .

https://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/s...25-twin-scroll

Not had much luck lately with our car pool so was due some
Old 08-03-2020, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

That is lucky, and its cool not to expensive for the modified version. Smart move.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolesroor View Post
Unfortunately no Shane. The new RCM one is modified with a suction cap .

https://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/s...25-twin-scroll

Not had much luck lately with our car pool so was due some
Is that just a oem pick up with a rubber damper fitted .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 08-03-2020, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Is that just a oem pick up with a rubber damper fitted .
Not according to their website Scotty
Old 12-05-2020, 03:08 PM
Bronze Member

Was just on the phone talking to the younger Paul at Extreme Scoobies (haven't spoken to him about the car before), and now I'm confused.

He said that sump fitted to the 2.5 litre engines fixed the issue requiring a baffled sump to be fitted?
He said they did an engine rebuild recently and found that the one fitted as standard was already baffled, and that for 2.5 engines changing it wouldn't add anything.

Anyone have any experience with 2.5 engines specifically? I'm a little lost now if I need to worry about getting a baffled sump fitted (or not)!!

Old 13-05-2020, 09:43 AM
Authorised Trader

for the 2003MY the JDM STi cars installed a twin scroll turbo system and because of the shape of the exhaust manifold they redesigned the sump from the very square shape used on everything else to a much shallower shape at the top with one long "leg" - this style was then slightly rationalised for the 2006MY and used on all EJ Turbo cars including the 2.5 STi's.........

as a std sump this is better than the original BUT its wrong to say that a proper baffled sump won't add anything as it further improves the factory set-up

whether you justify the set-up would depend on your exact use, power targets and budget

PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 13-05-2020, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
for the 2003MY the JDM STi cars installed a twin scroll turbo system and because of the shape of the exhaust manifold they redesigned the sump from the very square shape used on everything else to a much shallower shape at the top with one long "leg" - this style was then slightly rationalised for the 2006MY and used on all EJ Turbo cars including the 2.5 STi's.........

as a std sump this is better than the original BUT its wrong to say that a proper baffled sump won't add anything as it further improves the factory set-up

whether you justify the set-up would depend on your exact use, power targets and budget
Not sure if I completely follow...but get the jist they changed it on 2006 models! Does this apply for WRX as well as STi's from 2006?

Interesting that you say it's not as good as proper baffled sump, this is probably my main concern.

At least personally I'm running stock power on WRX, going on trackdays and making other mods to improve the car specifically for the track (coilovers, Tein EDFC, strut brace etc). Currently don't have a plan to up power, but after sorting a big brake kit (next on the bucket list) I think upgrading to sports-cat and mapping the engine would be a reasonable idea. Not sure if there are steps in between worth thinking about?!

If anyone else has opinions on that I'm all ears!

...As I barely need the car for daily use (as i'm mostly cycling) it's more of a toy...but it is still my daily if I need a car...so trying to make 'safe' modifications to allow track time without worrying the next trip is likely to break it! 😂

Old 14-05-2020, 09:14 AM
Authorised Trader

yes applies to all 2006MY cars and newer...........

it was originally developed by Prodrive so I'll let you decide why it would be seen as a benefit over a std sump
attached pic shows the "tower" to assist the oil being maintained at the pick-up pipe

in terms of trackdays oil surge is more of an issue on stickier more track focused rubber so if thats your ideal then personally it would be money well spent (we carry various options in stock if required)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baffled sump 102.jpg (96.5 KB, 10 views)

online shop!!
Old 15-05-2020, 01:05 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
yes applies to all 2006MY cars and newer...........

it was originally developed by Prodrive so I'll let you decide why it would be seen as a benefit over a std sump
attached pic shows the "tower" to assist the oil being maintained at the pick-up pipe

in terms of trackdays oil surge is more of an issue on stickier more track focused rubber so if thats your ideal then personally it would be money well spent (we carry various options in stock if required)
Okay! Will have a word when I go get my car serviced and let them know I can source something from you Alyn.

Appreciate the info, it's worthwhile knowing the built in gear isn't up to scratch as a proper baffled sump.