South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > Meet / Event Pics & Vids

Meet / Event Pics & Vids Post all your meet / event pictures here.

Old 16-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Gold Member

Default World Rally Championship R12 2019 - Wales

After being thoroughly impressed with the latest generation of WRCars last year, I had to get myself back to Wales for more of the same.

As with last year my main focus was spectating rather than photography but, as I packed the camera, I took a few snaps…

Ott Tanak arguably lost the Championship here last year, but he was absolutely committed and took the win plus maximum points on the power stage.

Following two passes from the International (World Championship) field, the National cars had a single run on the stage. Unfortunately the Subaru ex-WRCars had all retired by that point, but there were still a few Scoobs in the mix.

Oliver Solberg made his first WRC appearance at Wales. He had a lot of speed, but was plagued with mechanical gremlins and dropped out of the event Saturday morning, which was a massive shame.

Thierry Neuville has come to close to the title on a number of occasions and this year looks to see him do the same again. I like Neuville but, personally, don’t feel he is consistent enough to be a deserving Champion.

I daresay that none of the current specification cars are going to win any beauty contests, but it is the Fiesta that is my favourite looking car: the aero is very reminiscent of the E2 quattro.

Craig Breen rolled his i20 on his first pass through Myherin, but carried on the rest of the day in a rather second hand looking Hyundai.

While his son competed in WRC for the first time, Petter Solberg made his final WRC appearance at Rally GB, where he won the WRC2 class…

…but the fastest WRC2 car of the weekend was Kalle Rovanpera. Kalle is only 19 and already very rapid. Rumour has it he will be moving the top class next year.

Elfyn Evans was the home favourite but unfortunately clattered a rock early in the event. He was absolutely on it Saturday morning and set a number of fastest stage times. Damn shame he wasn’t able to challenge for the win.

It was a very long day, but definitely worth the drive. Few more pictures here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57711360717498

If you want to see any more!
Old 16-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Good effort chap, thanks for posting the photos
Old 16-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the update and great pictures. Will have to get over to the UK one day and see some of this.
Old 16-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Bronze Member

Great summary of the event. What is spectating at the event like in terms of following & moving around stages for the weekend? Super keen to go follow one of the events (probably in a warmer climate), but worried it'll just be me lost on closed roads and/or queues of spectators trying to park their cars near a passing point...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Old 16-10-2019, 11:46 PM

I haven't done RallyGB for about 10 years now, but used to follow it around Wales for the full event every year before that.

It used to be much easier to just jump between several stages in a day. Not quite so easy these days getting in and out of stage car parks with traffic etc, so better just to pick a stage with 2 runs and watch from different locations within it. I miss rallying and do intend to get going again at some point.... especially at this time of year when i see photos/videos on facebook from friends who I used to marshal with!
Old 17-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post

Good effort chap, thanks for posting the photos
No worries, thought I'd show you a bit of what you missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Thanks for the update and great pictures. Will have to get over to the UK one day and see some of this.
Pretty sure the French national Championship is pretty strong, so there might be something closer to home for you: though the Welsh stages are definitely unique enough to deserve a trip of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehawkins27 View Post
Great summary of the event. What is spectating at the event like in terms of following & moving around stages for the weekend? Super keen to go follow one of the events (probably in a warmer climate), but worried it'll just be me lost on closed roads and/or queues of spectators trying to park their cars near a passing point...
Exactly as Steve said...

Quote:
I haven't done RallyGB for about 10 years now, but used to follow it around Wales for the full event every year before that.

It used to be much easier to just jump between several stages in a day. Not quite so easy these days getting in and out of stage car parks with traffic etc, so better just to pick a stage with 2 runs and watch from different locations within it.
...I have adopted the latter approach now. Pick a stage, get there a couple of hours before the first car runs through the stage, then stick with that stage for the day.

The timing worked out pretty well this year as the first car didn't run through Myherin until 10, so we got there at 8 and had a couple of hours to walk into the stage, find a good spot and eat a few pastries before the first car appeared.

Quote:
I miss rallying and do intend to get going again at some point.... especially at this time of year when i see photos/videos on facebook from friends who I used to marshal with!
Well you've got 12 months to plan for next year!
Old 18-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Gold Member

French national championship sounds interesting. To be honest,I don't know much about it,will have to do some research.
Old 18-10-2019, 09:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
French national championship sounds interesting. To be honest,I don't know much about it,will have to do some research.
Yeah, there is a really decent national rally and rallycross Championships in France. Just had a quick Google and the official site is here:

https://www.ffsa.org/univers/Rallye
Old 18-10-2019, 01:59 PM

You been to any other rallies in recent years Steve? (other than GB). I know the Tempest hasn't run since 2015, pretty sure Sunseeker is dead too.

Nothing even vaguely local these days
Old 18-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
You been to any other rallies in recent years Steve? (other than GB). I know the Tempest hasn't run since 2015, pretty sure Sunseeker is dead too.
No, I haven't though I spotted an advert for the Wyedean earlier today which I was considering (last time I did that was with you!).

Sunseeker died around 2011-2012 I think? It was gone before the Tempest (which I'm still mourning, as that was a great way to end the year!).
Old 18-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Yeah Tempest used to be a good one, especially out on the "quieter" stages at Ash and Longmoor.

The Wyedean we went to was Feb 2013, nearly 7 years ago! Pic thread still online here
http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ad.php?t=14721
Old 18-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Yeah Tempest used to be a good one, especially out on the "quieter" stages at Ash and Longmoor.
Although it was a busier stage I really liked Warren (possibly because it was the closest stage to the cafe). Ash was a great stage, couple of my favourite rally shots are from the jump there!

Quote:
The Wyedean we went to was Feb 2013, nearly 7 years ago! Pic thread still online here
http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ad.php?t=14721
I was going to look though my pictures later to see how long ago it was, should have remembered there was a picture thread on here!

Next Wyedean is in a couple of weeks (Saturday 9th November to be precise):

https://www.wyedeanstages.co.uk

No stage details or entries yet.