South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 25-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

Default Brexit, someone had to mention it

What is happening in the UK re Brexit. Here in France it's very embarrassing to be English with the government stumbling from one disaster to the next We have satellite tv and as I understand it ,after 3 years, the plan is to apply for yet another extension, a general election is pending and if that doesn't happen,parliament will basically go on strike!!! How much has been spent on pre Brexit preparation, including booking ferry space which was never used. Crazy situation.
Old 25-10-2019, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

It's almost as if it was too complicated an issue to ask the general public to opine on with a simple yes or no style question...!
Old 26-10-2019, 02:51 PM

Personally i think we need to sack all members of parliament as they are unable to do their jobs, which frankly isn’t a difficult task.

We have gone from being a world leading country to a shambles in a generation.

I would consider emigrating at the moment. I am completely fed up with the costs of living and taxes rising whilst my earnings are going down. Freeloaders seem to be getting given more. The rich seem to be getting richer and not just through hard work.

Economic migration to the UK is out of control and cannot be sustainable, apparently we need to build more houses, but letting thousands of people in to the country every year isn’t helping.

We are now the laughing stock of the EU.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 26-10-2019, 03:13 PM
Gold Member

Isn't a difficult task? Brilliant!
Old 26-10-2019, 07:37 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555_si View Post
personally i think we need to sack all members of parliament as they are unable to do their jobs, which frankly isn’t a difficult task.

We have gone from being a world leading country to a shambles in a generation.

I would consider emigrating at the moment. I am completely fed up with the costs of living and taxes rising whilst my earnings are going down. Freeloaders seem to be getting given more. The rich seem to be getting richer and not just through hard work.

Economic migration to the uk is out of control and cannot be sustainable, apparently we need to build more houses, but letting thousands of people in to the country every year isn’t helping.

We are now the laughing stock of the eu.

Old 26-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

I really don’t get what they are playing at
Now I don’t care who voted and how the point is the out vote won . Doesn’t matter if you like it or not that was what the majority voted . I think mainly because people are so fed up with all the political parties
Now as you say 3 and a bit years later we are still no closer with another vote looking likely . I wonder what would happen if the vote was leave again . Would we continue having votes until we vote what the mps want
Old 26-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Regular User

Their all as bad as each other.... blaggers

And in the mean time the country’s people and businesses suffer....

Uk manufacturing is pretty much non existent..... steel mills, textiles, car manufacturing, ship yards, potteries.....the list goes on

We have lost our way as a country and our standards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27-10-2019, 03:21 PM
Bronze Member

I'm just wondering how the next ring trip will go, and not be a pain having a UK car lol
Old 27-10-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROSCOBY View Post
I'm just wondering how the next ring trip will go, and not be a pain having a UK car lol
I doubt there will be any difference...
Old 27-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Well the British public should never of been given the choice. It's a far too complex an issue to put out to the public to vote on.
I voted to remain, but not because I had a passion to remain but because I could see that the job of leaving and re-arranging all policies and standards (allot of EU standards were actually previously British Standards) would be a massive task.
What is being discussed at present is just the tip of a huge iceberg.

As an example : All those products we make in the uk, all those materials we use in the UK and basically anything we manufacture down at the material level may contain content or chemicals governed by the REACH policy. I would place a bet that anything you are sitting on, holding or are near to contains a chemical covered by this policy. UK manufacturers that make this chemical will no longer be able to ship that item from its premises or into Europe because we will have no recognised procedure or export licence to do so. The same would apply to the next level in the manufacturing process. Something as simple as a printer cable could contain a controlled substance.
The same would happen for stuff importing. We would not have a policy to recognise EU regulations.

Has the news mentioned where our petrol, gas and oil come from ??? They keep talking about Dover but what about all the pipes and cables that import fuel and energy ?

We absolutely cannot leave without a deal. The word deal has been taken totally out of context. They may not agree with the current deal but there will have to be an agrrement.
How goods and people move in and out of the country will not just stop. There will have to be an agreement no matter what, so that's your deal.

What I don't want is another bloody election. Brexit is confusing enough and I certainly can't get my head around the justification for an election. Especially when Corbyn doesn't have a hope in hell of getting the keys to no.10
Old 27-10-2019, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

Some excellent points.

I saw it described as extracting eggs from a cake, which I thought summed it up very well.
Old 27-10-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig View Post
Some excellent points.

I saw it described as extracting eggs from a cake, which I thought summed it up very well.
That's probably ok if your vegan
Old 28-10-2019, 07:39 AM

No matter which way people voted.

The bottom line is:

We supposedly live in a democracy,

the people voted,

Leave got the majority of votes.

End of !!

The Government doesn't have a majority in Parliament to do anything so we need to have an election, after that hopefully Corbyn will disappear of the face of the earth.
Old 28-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Gold Member

Agree 100% with Scott,their should never have been a public vote,it's just too complex. I would have said it's the job of the government to make these decisions, but apparently not in the UK.
Old 28-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Regular User

Here here as they say in parliament 😂😂

Old 28-10-2019, 11:47 AM

Cameron never for one second thought that the leave voters would win...

Out of interest has anyone read the Lisbon treaty..
That makes interesting reading people should have been made aware of that!!
Old 28-10-2019, 04:05 PM
Bronze Member

Today's news is that we have a 3 month extension, which means they will go for a General Election, as if that will resolve things.
Old 28-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
No matter which way people voted.

The bottom line is:

We supposedly live in a democracy,

the people voted,

Leave got the majority of votes.

End of !!

The Government doesn't have a majority in Parliament to do anything so we need to have an election, after that hopefully Corbyn will disappear of the face of the earth.
That's an interesting interpretation.

The people voting was not the end of the story, it was the beginning and that was well known. Referenda are to advise government/parliament.

Executing this has proven to be a nightmare, which it was always going to be.

I'm fine with leaving, provided it delivers benefits in the not too distant future. Hard to see how that will happen though.

Personally, I think it would be shrewd to negotiate reform now, with the UK staying in. This could deal with some of the negatives that led people to want to leave. Sadly there's too much entrenchment I suspect!
Old 28-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

I've started typing replies to this several times but have a feeling it could turn into arguments and I value friendships too much to let politics come between them lol, think I'll keep my opinions to myself
Old 29-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Authorised Trader

Media and various other parties are simply spouting rubbish to best suit whichever cause they align to..............

what no-one seems to mention (or understand) is we haven't even started to negotiate "Brexit" this current shambles is simply to decide on how we move forward with the EU........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 29-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

I'm with Scott here, the question of leaving should never have been put to the public in a referendum.

How can you ask the general population to vote on something they know hardly anything about. Votes were drawn on a few emotional topics like immigration and the "£350 million a week to the NHS" bus rubbish, because neither the remain or leave campaign could ever educate the majority enough to make an informed decision.
Old 29-10-2019, 11:40 PM
Regular User

I just hope that when we finally leave the EU, that we start rebuilding our manufacturing presence and become a much bigger player in Europe/the world, where people will find value and worth within their jobs, meaning Britain will become great again.

If UK manufacturing grows, people’s beliefs will grow, you will hopefully see more passion in our youth and they will have more in life to aim at than what they currently have in the UK.

Old 30-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Gold Member

So now we move to a General Election. 3 years on and nothing sorted.
Old 30-10-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy1973 View Post
I just hope that when we finally leave the EU, that we start rebuilding our manufacturing presence and become a much bigger player in Europe/the world, where people will find value and worth within their jobs, meaning Britain will become great again.

If UK manufacturing grows, people’s beliefs will grow, you will hopefully see more passion in our youth and they will have more in life to aim at than what they currently have in the UK.

Being in Europe helped our industry. Huge Japanese car plants were in the uk to take advantage of our manufacturing skillset and that cars built here and components imported here to support the build could all move around within europe tariff free.

I've worked on Eurofighter Typhoon for 28 years. The clue is in the name.
Do you think the UK would of won so many fundamental contracts on that state of art aircraft if we were not in Europe.
This aircraft is also due a Long Term Evolution update in the coming years. Therefore does leaving the EU impact the decision on where the contracts end up being placed.
Eurofighter, Airbus, Augusta all have a huge presence in the UK and employ 1000's of direct and indirect people in the UK.
But all have headquarters in Germany, France and Italy !!

A high % of youth also decided to remain. It's truly their future after all.
Old 30-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
It's almost as if it was too complicated an issue to ask the general public to opine on with a simple yes or no style question...!
Agreed, though I'm not convinced that many of those in the government are clued up enough to make a decision either!

Quote:
I'm fine with leaving, provided it delivers benefits in the not too distant future. Hard to see how that will happen though.
Also agree with this: if we could see genuine benefits then I'm all for it, but its hard to imagine anyone extracting any positives out of the mess we have at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
Eurofighter, Airbus, Augusta all have a huge presence in the UK and employ 1000's of direct and indirect people in the UK.
Yep. My knowledge is only based on a small sector of the aviation industry, but I know for sure that one of the above will withdraw from the UK in the event of Brexit. The regulatory changes are a massive shot in the foot as well.

On paper I can see how Brexit, if correctly executed, could have delivered some positives, but all it seems to have given thus far is massive uncertainty, a weakened pound and making the UK look rather silly.
Old 30-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy1973 View Post
I just hope that when we finally leave the EU, that we start rebuilding our manufacturing presence and become a much bigger player in Europe/the world
To me, everything suggests the opposite will happen. Manufacturing will move to Ireland or the EU mainland, rather than the UK.

And now a general election.... so now that the Lib Dems are saying they'll try and cancel Brexit, will the remainers all vote for them? Are there enough remainers to topple the Tories?

After all, a percentage of the 'vote leave' elderly from 3 years ago are now pushing daisies, and 3 years new youth are now able to vote. Will the equivalent amount of people in the 'middle' demographic have swung from remain to leave, to maintain status quo? I doubt it... ??
Old 30-10-2019, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
To me, everything suggests the opposite will happen. Manufacturing will move to Ireland or the EU mainland, rather than the UK.
Exactly. The idea of "rebuilding our manufacturing" is great in principle, but that is neither a quick nor cheap process... so it's not going to happen.
Old 30-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Enough is enough.
No pigs in blankets on my Christmas dinner is the final straw
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...christmas/amp/
Old 31-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

Anybody seen Boris Johnson dead in a ditch. As I remember they were his words if we didn't leave on the 31st.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Anybody seen Boris Johnson dead in a ditch. As I remember they were his words if we didn't leave on the 31st.
Private Eye has beaten you to it
Old 01-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

Excellent.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post

And now a general election.... so now that the Lib Dems are saying they'll try and cancel Brexit, will the remainers all vote for them? Are there enough remainers to topple the Tories?

After all, a percentage of the 'vote leave' elderly from 3 years ago are now pushing daisies, and 3 years new youth are now able to vote. Will the equivalent amount of people in the 'middle' demographic have swung from remain to leave, to maintain status quo? I doubt it... ??
An election isn't going to help in my view.

- There are other issues in the manifesto that will blur things.

- Constituencies/seats will cock things up.

- The Lib Dems won't attract enough votes. They never have.

- Corbyn isn't credible, so the natural challengers probably won't challenge in the way an opposition should.

It's going to be more mess, I fear.

This is so divisive that it's going to have a lasting, bitter legacy whatever happens. All that's left in my view is one that ****s the economy versus one that doesn't.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Old 01-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Gold Member

Would like to know the cost so far of all the measures put in place for the last 3 years for a Brexit that has yet to happen, for example can't be cheap to keep cordoning of the M 20.