South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 17-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Regular User

Default Cheap tyre warning!

Hi all,

Ive only recently bought my impreza, which I am very pleased with. However it did have a rather alaming trait- the back end would step out violently! On power, off power, balanced throttle always the same.
The tyres on it when I bought it were Landsails on the front and Autogrips on the back, all in good condition, i havn't heard of either.
I suspected the tyres may be the cause of the issue, so I swapped tyres from one of my other cars, the difference is remarkable.
It now when pushed, understeers a little with no hint of the rear breaking away, even when provoked.
Anyway - avoid Autogrips like the plague, they will try to kill you!

Peter
Old 17-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Regular User

opps, should have put this in the tyre section, not sure how to move it.
Old 17-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussell View Post
opps, should have put this in the tyre section, not sure how to move it.
Fixed

Couldn't agree more on the tyre front though, especially on a car like a scoob that is going to be pushed a bit...
Old 17-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Never buy cheap it's the only thing between you and the road
Old 17-02-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
Never buy cheap it's the only thing between you and the road
+ 1 with the above...

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 17-02-2017, 10:07 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

We had autogirps on the mini when we bought it, they were the safest tyres Ive ever used, couldn't get the car over 10 actual miles an hour even though the speedo read 80! It was impossible to pull away without spinning at least 1 tyre! Absolute crap!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 19-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Bronze Member

Yep, it's a good clue: if you haven't heard of the tyre, it's not good enough! Had some awful Autoguard tyres on the STi wheels I picked up recently, they were almost new but really noisy and with very poor grip.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Old 19-02-2017, 09:26 PM

To add to the above, the tyres on your Subaru should ideally be replaced in 4s not run different sets front to back)

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Regular User

Due to low tread and a puncture finally got around to taking my 17s off and putting the 18s I had in the garden on. Tyres were quite squeaky and afterI checked out Wanlis on the internet I immediately booked my car in for 4 new Falkens which are being put on this Saturday.