South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Chassis Tuning

Chassis Tuning It's All About The Twisties

Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Wrx suspension what way to turn?

Hi guys,
I'm going to be revamping the stock 80k wrx suspension before the ring, but I'm not sure what way to go. The car is a daily driver only around 15 miles a day, now this is where I'm stuck.
Coil overs BC around £750 or HSD £680
But from my previous cars there allways to firm.
But stock refresh -
Stock kyb struts £300
Eibach springs £150
Top mounts £186
Total £636

So I'm stuck in what wat to turn,
Any surgestions . Car is only a 280hp wrx that's all it will ever push
But I do aim to do one or two track sessions a year any idea?
Old 05-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Leave it as it is.

As you know the Ring is like no other and does not need a hard track set up.

Make sure you have decent ARB on the rear job done.

Either that or sell it and buy a sorted STI.

It will save you in th long run.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

I disagree with E ( ) and say go for the KYB Ultra SR's with lowering springs of your choice. Not as harsh as coilovers but will still transform the car and probably the best option if its your daily driver still.

To be fair, even changing the shocks alone would make a difference! I can't stress how much a set of 80k shocks can be knackered, i took mine off at about 70k and they all rebounded at different rates (and one didn't rebound at all!). The rears were the worst and only good for scrap.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Mine are shot, it's like a boat, so I've got to do something
Old 05-02-2015, 01:59 PM

I am in the same boat! I just know after 82K my shocks are most probably past it. I do get the knocking and creaking noises associated with a tired set of shocks and springs, if I have passengers in the back they step out the car still shaking after a long journey.

Like 'E' said I am going to uprate the rear ARB and drop links however as mine too is a daily driver/only car I think coilovers are just too much. I dont use it regularly as a track car but still want a setup capable of managing the A and B roads along with a blast out on a track.

I have been doing like Steve advised and been checking out KYB shocks and a good set of springs, seems like the best way to cover all bases IMHO.

I guess its a case of being honest with yourself about which setup you really need and not just going for what works best on track and killing your daily driver needs in the long run...

The research I have been doing has made a good point of making sure suspension compenents are all changed to accomodate one another, basically a case of making sure you don't change something which could compromise another area, if that makes sense...
Old 05-02-2015, 01:59 PM

Speak with Alyn at AS Performance...

Ive just replaced the drop links, ARB's (went Eibach), ball joints, centre roll parts, Anti lift kit, gearbox bushing, steering rack bushing, T-Bar mount bushing, and gotta say the car feels BRAND NEW ! Everything is much tighter, and feels amazing to drive now.

Alyn gives sound advise, and was very helpful considering I knew nothing!

Ryan

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 05-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

I had kyb agx`s + eibach springs fitted to our wagon last year. I am really impressed with how the car feels when cornering at speed (yes Granby `at speed` )
There are 4 settings on the front and 8 on the back. The springs mean the car now sits higher than before (HR`s previously) but a small price to pay for me as I can now park on my drive.

As a daily drive I have no issues and actually prefer the ride to my blob sti stock suspension.

I aslo had the rear drop links changed at the time and a geo set-up for `fast road`.

Last edited by Bolesroor; 05-02-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Where did you get the agx version shocks buddy? And are they made for the newage?
Last year I went full kyb ultra sr and h&r springs and new sti top mounts on the sti, was fine but ajust cost the same as coilovers with out the option to change settings, but looks like coilovers are still to firm for uk roads
Old 05-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

All the work was done at Carnetix following HG failure on the wagon LY.

See thread http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ad.php?t=18881

I did ask on behalf of scotty the same question but was told they use their `local supplier`.

Give them a call
http://www.carnetix.co.uk/contact.htm and ask for Becky or Glenn. (Don`t be put off by their pictures on the site ) They are both really helpful and will give you unbiased advice.

The costs were about the same when compared with a mid-range coilover set-up and a bit more for the agx`s.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Cheers, not sure what route il take as this is meant to be temp car but seems poss staying a lot longer than thought.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

In my time with my bugeye (11 years ) I first when to eibach springs with the original shocks arb and anti lift with links and that was good, but in end I needed new shocks and when Coil overs BC's and they only stay on for at the most for 18 mouths as the handering was not good and I was running out of teeth so it was the car would be going or try again, so I went for Kw's 3 and even though they have the same spring rate but boy there just worked and I fell in love again Suspension is more than just how hard it is it must be Compliant around the corners to make a fast car.So eibach with new shocks will be fine.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Thats looking the root im going to go, saw a add on snet for bc coilys but after reading ive decided against it, i had them on my evo 7 and found on the softest setting they was ok but they did start knocking at only 18months old , bottoms work loose it seems ,
Ao eibach and fresh shocks its looking like then cheers
Old 05-02-2015, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

If you are talking coil overs what about AST
Old 05-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

To much money for them x
Old 06-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

Was always very have happy with the pedder extremes that I had on the bug and very well priced
Old 06-02-2015, 02:27 PM

have kw v3's on my Golf R32 and they are fantastic, only thing above them i would go for is Ohlins. As for Scooby, i run Tein which i find very good.