South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 14-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member (formerly Red Devil)

Default TMIC

Could anyone dish out some advice regarding tmic.

ive had a good long think about changing my tmic to a fmic. however ive been told by a few people to forget the idea of the fm because it takes 3x longer to fill with air because the fm is much bigger and has longer to travel.

so i have come up with the decision to upgrade my tm but not 100% which 1 to go for?
Old 15-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

FMIC is supposed to suffer turbo lag more than a TMIC but I think I heard that problem can be negated a little with a good remap. JGM will know if I just imagined it or not lol
Old 15-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

What other mods are you doing to the engine? Unless you're going over 350bhp i personally wouldn't add a fmic, will add more lag and just isn't needed at the lower end of the power range. I know Dyney was running a newage wrx tmic on his classic several years ago, and that was running 350ish i think.
Old 15-06-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
What other mods are you doing to the engine? Unless you're going over 350bhp i personally wouldn't add a fmic, will add more lag and just isn't needed at the lower end of the power range. I know Dyney was running a newage wrx tmic on his classic several years ago, and that was running 350ish i think.
Other mods are hks cone filter, dump valve, s/s hks exhaust from down pipe to back box straight through pipe. At the moment. Eventually id like to get the td05 20g turbo and mappable ecu. Id like to teach 320bhp sensibly or there abouts
Old 15-06-2013, 10:20 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

In which case I wouldn't worry about a front mount. Maybe a few nice handling mods instead?? A 320bhp classic with good handling mods will make for a very quick road car.
Old 15-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Lucky? At the moment im just looking at getting to 320bhp but what mods would you recommend for handling?
Old 15-06-2013, 11:06 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Depends on what you have at the moment, but a good suspension set up and front and rear ARB's (which arent too expensive) will transform it. Its not all about stright line speed. Around the ring some of the quickest cars, where not neccessarily the most powerful (ay StevePPP!!!)

320ish is a nice figure for a classic. Its where I want to end up with the wagon, but with well sorted handling and brakes. Its like everything mate, you can spend a fortune but there are some good components out there for reasonable prices. Scott (Silversurfer) would be a good person to advise you on suspension etc as he has tried various set ups.

Last edited by Lucky; 15-06-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 15-06-2013, 12:08 PM

i may have my newage tmic for sale soon as i'm going for more power so going fmic.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 15-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Depends on what you have at the moment, but a good suspension set up and front and rear ARB's (which arent too expensive) will transform it. Its not all about stright line speed. Around the ring some of the quickest cars, where not neccessarily the most powerful (ay StevePPP!!!)

320ish is a nice figure for a classic. Its where I want to end up with the wagon, but with well sorted handling and brakes. Its like everything mate, you can spend a fortune but there are some good components out there for reasonable prices. Scott (Silversurfer) would be a good person to advise you on suspension etc as he has tried various set ups.
Thanks a lot. Ive got some thinking to do. And I'll get in touch with Scott later.
Wagon si. Will it fit my classic and how much? Thanks
Old 15-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Authorised Trader

you'll not need a 20g either for 320ish..............

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 15-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
you'll not need a 20g either for 320ish..............
Will the 16g do 320 comfortably then?
Old 15-06-2013, 02:22 PM

not sure if straight fit or need slight mod to fit, i have spare brackets so they can be modded. Others can hopefully advise.

Price, we can talk as i need to see how much i paid for it, i have only had it on my car since begin May i think. My project seems to be quite fast moving at moment, when i am in the country. will be back in a couple of weeks as off on business again Monday.
Old 15-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Newage STI tmics can be fitted to classics but are a very tight fit i think (more so on the earlier slanty tmic cars i think).

I'm got a newage wrx tmic for sale as well (smaller than the STI one) but might be better than the classic one you have already, depends whats on your car already really. Don't want much for it, £30?
Old 15-06-2013, 06:00 PM

At the moment Steve ppp my car has the standard 2000 tmic
Old 15-06-2013, 07:03 PM

If you fit a "newage" STI tmic, and a decent late series VF turbo will make for a very nice classic, VF34,35,43 or 48 with a decent exhaust system should see 320/330bhp nicely and keep some decent spool up very little lag etc.

I had an FMIC on my classic, but I did not suffer badly from lag, as others on here will tell you.. however it is good few hours of fitting and cutting your front bumper up to squeeze in.

The classic STI top mount is rather limited compared to the newage ones (newage ones good for circa 400bhp, classic ones a lot less)

As Steve says above they do fit, you need to "modify" a bracket or 2.

Fit some decent brakes you will be going a lot quicker

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 15-06-2013, 07:24 PM

Ginola? could you recommend a set of brakes that would slow me down nicely nothing jumpy or instant unless necessary.

Steve ppp? would this tmic be a good start or should i hold out untill the sti tm comes up?
Old 15-06-2013, 07:39 PM

my Hawkeye STI top mount (I think slightly better than earlier Newage STI as it has only one silicon pipe on it instead of two, still same fitment) with brackets and oem silicon pipe would be £150 in two weeks time, I paid more for this, and others are advertised at more, mine is in good condition. Only selling due to next stage of upgrades.