South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Bronze Member

Default DVLA car tax theft!

Whats people's thoughts on this.

When i sold a car and got another one with these new tax rules i had to tax my car from the 1st of the month even though i picked it up and taxed it on the 13th!
Then i had to claim my tax back from the other vehicle i sold but only in full months. So i dont get the remaining 17 days. It has taken the DVLA nearly 6 weeks to process this tax refund to me. Ok so its only £100 they owe me back but the principles of this are all wrong.

I am seriously considering not paying car tax for time i have lost out and overpaid on this occasion next time i sell and buy another car.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Humbug
Old 06-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmike View Post
I am seriously considering not paying car tax for time i have lost out and overpaid on this occasion next time i sell and buy another car.
Let us know how that works out, won't you? With the amount of ANPR about, possibly not too well!

I can't get too excited about it to be honest. It's not a big expense, the old system seemed to allow for greater (or at least easier) fraud/evasion than the current system and so if there's a bit of a cost and inconvenience but overall it works better from an administrative perspective then that's fine with me.

I'm not sure it's the most elegantly devised system, but c'est la vie. The maximum overpayment you'll ever make is about £45, i.e. a month of the top rate, which isn't going to break the bank and if it is, you probably ought not have a car that attracts that VED as you probably can't run it.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

I am not a patient person, and fortunately I am on financially. Others however may not be OK.
I just think it's a naughty ask and a bit of a cash cow to be honest. To make you pay from the start of the month but not refund the remaining time on your current one.
Yea there was loads of fraud before all the ANPR cameras so now are they making up for that by taxing car tax??
Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 AM
Authorised Trader

not convinced the new system doesn't just penalise the honest motorist in general.........if your "wrong" then you wont give a shoite anyhows.........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Gold Member

It probably is a bit of a revenue raiser and it inevitably hits the compliant worst of all, but doesn't everything? That's the problem with being compliant!

It's such a small amount on an individual basis that it isn't something I think is worth worrying about. I might feel differently if I was Anger, with the rate he changes cars. It must cost him a fortune!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:09 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

I completely agreed. It's a bloody rip off. i had exactly the same with the last scoob. I worked out there was pretty much one month paid for twice. It's not rocket science to simply calculate it prorata.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on how you look at it, unless you're at the bottom end of the car market prices haven't been affected by the new laws, a car that you would have sold for 2k plus still sells for 2k plus you now get the tax money back, unless you're chopping and changing cars on a regular basis it's going to be under £20 On most cars unless it's a gas guzzler. Feel sorry for those people that have got caught out when they've transferred ownership to someone else in the house and have then been caught due to not re taxing it.

I'm sure all the extra money that the government is raising is going straight back into making the roads better!!!!
Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
I'm sure all the extra money that the government is raising is going straight back into making the roads better!!!!