South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Members Car Profiles

Members Car Profiles Show & Tell Your Pride & Joy

Old 20-05-2011, 11:24 AM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default Having a bit of a BMW phase at the moment

My current cars, both nice in different ways but one of them has to go a some stage but not sure which. Will have my wicked way with the Z4 for my impending trip to Le-man. Then decide which stays after.

Old 20-05-2011, 12:37 PM
worzel

Thats a nice pair you have there

I do like the Z4
Old 20-05-2011, 12:57 PM

Cheers

Me practical head sais keep the M3 and go down to just the one car, but heart sais keep the Z4 and get another scoob for winter/practical needs. All the time the weather is good I'm happy to be greedy and keep both :d

Shame I can't talk the missus into selling our Zafira GSI and replacing it with a newage wagon as I think I would be utopia if I could.
Old 20-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Silver Member

I love the e46 M3.... Always have loved them..
Old 21-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Regular User

sell the M3, keep the z4 as a summer car and get an older scoob as a winter car, possibly with some left over to buy the missed somthing nice to sweeten the deal...
2006 Subaru Legacy 3.0R
Old 21-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

very nice M3 you have there Rob.
how does it compare perfrmance wise to say a 340bhp classic or newage?
obvisouly day to day or traviling id say m3 all day!
Old 21-05-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby doo View Post
very nice M3 you have there Rob.
how does it compare perfrmance wise to say a 340bhp classic or newage?
obvisouly day to day or traviling id say m3 all day!
Very difficult to compare to any scoob really. Very different proposition. But I do like normally aspirated cars now, having jumped between the 2 a fair bit of late. Instant power and pickup as soon as you touch the peddle and just keeps going all the way to 8K.

But I would say the M3 would be all over a 340bhp newgae but would be a very close match against a 340bhp classic. The Grip and agility on the M3 is incredible considering its weight. The M3 just feels very planted and offers a complete package, and just feels like it can take allot of punishment and you don't feel scared that something might go pop when pushing on hard. Once scoobs have been fettled with they can be superb, but as a bit of kit straight out the box I have to say BMW really got it right.

The 3.0 Z4 is no slouch and is quick and nimble, but the the M3 is a proper hooligans car when you want it to be.
Old 21-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Awesome pair of cars mate! Love the m3! Think I must be in the wrong game!lol
Old 22-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Cool,
sounds like a right hoot.
Old 22-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Bronze Member

M3 is on my list of cars to own, in fact it's right at the top!! Has to be a manual one too. I plan on buying one of these or maybe RS6 once I know what is happening with my job ie have a new one when made redundant.
Old 22-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Regular User

Id say the m3 has nothing on any subaru pushing more than 340 bhp the standard figures for the wr1 on paper show that ! 0-60 times for the standard wr1 are 4.2 and the heavy weight m3 at 5.2 ! But the bmw wins on creature comforts but id never own another after owning my wr1, nice cars though .
Old 22-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

good thread this.. i was arguing figures with my mate between e46 m3that he has and my wr1 in the boozer the othernite lol!! i had the pleasure of running around in a e46 m3 a little while ago and to be honest its was a tool!!and was very nearly swayed (would have been convertible thou) specially traction control off... but still felt safe as houses..hard to judge but i wouldnt have thought that there would be a great deal between them... fun factor definetly impreza for me thou and i think id keep m3 and sell z4

Last edited by munk; 22-05-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 22-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Its almost impossible to compare a scoob to the M3. We are talking smaller engined turbo awd, vs large engined normally aspirated RWD. Not that one is better than the other they just offer a totally different driving experience.

If your looking for balls out power due to modding capabilities, and something that you can tinker with and personalize then I would always go for a scoob. But if you want a car that you can just jump in that you know will get to between point A and Point B and back again, do it in relative comfort without busting an ear drum, or disslodging a filling along the way, that has the ability to be able to push your bottle and driving limits to the edge before the cars power is an issue then the M3 is great.

Both great cars for different reasons.
Old 22-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Bronze Member

I was going to go down the M3 route when I got my 130i. Unfortunately insurance prices going up put an end to that! Have driven a couple and they are a hoot, rapid too.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Well decided done and dealt with.

What done it for me in the end was the agricultural feel of the M3, very sorted car and capable but not a car that likes to pootle round town. The 3.0 M54 engine in the Z4 is silky smooth and a pleasure to drive hard or slow, the S54 engine in the M3 is the polar opposite.

So Px'd the M3 against a sensible car which I should have got in the first place if I'm being honest, and now got a Audi TDI Advant, Quattro 130pd sport in its place. Very tidy, 50mpg, practical,comfortable, reliable and really nice drive.... Perfect for what I need.

I'll keep the Z4 for fun and maybe change at some point for an elise or westfield deravative, and I've still got the go faster Zafira GSI which we are likely going to run into the ground.

The missues already has her eyes on the Audi, so can see me playing with the GSI a little