South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 30-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Bronze Member

Default What is this connector meant to be connected to!!

Hiya, I'm trying to sort out my v3 Sti wagon that the AA thinks the ECU has gone belly up on, spotted this connector just hanging around and was wondering where its meant to be attached!

Its behind/under this:
Old 30-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Not sure on classics, but on the newage theres an EGT sensor plug there which is often disconnected - it measures exhaust gas temps in the uppipe (sometimes called 'cat on fire' sensor).

Does it look like the cars had the uppipe changed?
Old 30-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Bronze Member

Ah that'd make sense, it has a decat downpipe and stainless steel exhaust fitted.

Thanks for replying so quickly!
Just about to reset the ECU to see if that helps the car start at all...fingers crossed!!
Old 30-08-2012, 01:43 PM

As i said before, no idea how its setup on a classic, but the EGT on the newage is on the uppipe as they have a cat too (before turbo, not on the downpipe). But then thinking about it, i don't think classics had a cat in the uppipe?

I'm sure someone else in the know will confirm!
Old 30-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

as above it's the EGT connector. I disconnected and threw it away on my classic when I fitted an aftermarket down pipe
Old 30-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Authorised Trader

its only on the early JDM cars and was located after the CAT at the bottom of the downpipe.........
makes no difference if disconnected and defiantely wont be the cause of any issues...

just for info the only cars with "up-pipe" pre-cats are the UK/euro spec 2.0 WRX cars 01-04

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 30-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

What are the symptons for not starting ?
When did it last start ?

Have you tried checking the cam and crank sensors ?
Old 30-08-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
its only on the early JDM cars and was located after the CAT at the bottom of the downpipe.........
makes no difference if disconnected and defiantely wont be the cause of any issues...

just for info the only cars with "up-pipe" pre-cats are the UK/euro spec 2.0 WRX cars 01-04
Cheers Alyn, knew you'd know
Old 30-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
What are the symptons for not starting ?
When did it last start ?

Have you tried checking the cam and crank sensors ?
It last started a week ago, I was driving up to London (80 mile-ish trip) and right near the end of the trip as I entered a roundabout dropping from 4th to 3rd gear as normal then when I let the clutch out the revs just kept dropping. I went down through the gears to try and pick it up but it just dropped off and stopped, it then re-started but was lumpy then after waiting for the AA it just wouldn't start at all sounding like there's no spark.

The AA suggested the ECU. I did the fault code read thing with the black connectors under the steering wheel and it came up with 24, which suggested IACV, so I took it off and cleaned it which didn't make a difference. I changed the crank sensor but no change. I tried resetting the ECU today which also hasn't seemed to help!

I'm losing the love very quickly!!
Old 30-08-2012, 06:39 PM

do you know what the ecu number is as there are a few on ebay.
one is advertised as for a 99 sti but i think its wrong and actually for an earlier model.

have u tried swapping the coil pack
cam sensors can fail so worth trying one from another car it doesn't have to be from a v3 sti.
Old 30-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member

I haven't got the number off it yet, took me a while to realise where it was lol!

I've just had someone offer me £1250 for it as is which I'm very tempted to just take and be done with it. I swapped it for my focus ST170 which I was originally selling to get something cheaper so I reckon I might just get it out of my sight and get something that will be cheaper to run!
Old 30-08-2012, 08:22 PM

I think it's a 6S ECu and there's one on Ebay for £50.
I also think that on the WRX/STI you don't have to get them re-key coded, as only the UK car's had an imobiliser

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...item35bf539d58
Old 30-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Authorised Trader

pre2000 cars dont have the immobiliser built into the ECU so you can swap without messing from memory...........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!