South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Default Expansion tank

Just a quicky. The guy I bought the scoob from recently filled up the expansion tank (to the top) so it can be a bit smelly, so I was going to siphon it back out. What level should it be at. I seem to remember generally they are empty???
Old 12-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Do you mean the one at the front by the radiator, i.e not the metal header tank in front of the turbo.

If so I would drain it right out, then make sure the header is full/stays full when running it up to temperature.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Do you mean the one at the front by the radiator, i.e not the metal header tank in front of the turbo.

If so I would drain it right out, then make sure the header is full/stays full when running it up to temperature.
Thanks mate, yes its the little bottle to the far right which the has a black pipe back to the rad.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 AM

Never had to get my hands dirtly with these before lol, the header i guess is the one with the pressurised cap?

I pm'd you Scott so ignore that mate.

Last edited by Lucky; 12-05-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:

Drain the plastic one, make sure the metal one is full, then run up to temperature until the fans kick in.
Then when cool enough check the header/metal one is still full or top up if required. Run it like this for a few days then check again.

If it keeps emptying into the expansion tank the first thing I would try is a new pressure cap for the metal header tank.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Drain the plastic one, make sure the metal one is full, then run up to temperature until the fans kick in.
Then when cool enough check the header/metal one is still full or top up if required. Run it like this for a few days then check again.

If it keeps emptying into the expansion tank the first thing I would try is a new pressure cap for the metal header tank.
Thanks matey
Old 12-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Drive on boost and it will soon spill out if its the cap at fault
Old 12-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Regular User

There should be a full level mark on it top it to this level when cold, if you leave the bottle empty as the engine cools it will suck air in to the cooling system and you may end up with an air lock.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
There should be a full level mark on it top it to this level when cold, if you leave the bottle empty as the engine cools it will suck air in to the cooling system and you may end up with an air lock.
Was going to say the same but then decided I couldn't be ****d .
Old 12-05-2013, 01:35 PM

Cheers chaps. Drained most of it out, just a small amount visible, given it a run and checked levels again. Full in header and nothing in expansion so all seems fine. Thanks for everyone's input.