South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Default Cambelt change.

After a discussion about cam belts with mr PPP over dinner the other night I thought I'd check the last date mine was done in the service history.

It turns out that it was last changed in 2006 at parklane Subaru when the mileage was at 24k (45k service carried out ).

The mileage now is at 54k so question is does it need replacing as its only covered 30k since but then again its over 5 years old, mileage vs time?

If I was to get it changed where's the place to get it done and how much does it roughly cost?

I did think about having ago myself but are there any special tools needed and could it go catastrophically wrong if I miss something.
Is it just a case of loosen a tensioner and slip off old then slip on new? Couldn't tell you what's behind the covers.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM
BANNED USER

May be worth giving Stuart a ring here in Hailsham and he's very good and very cheap. I can give you his number if you want it?

I changed the cambelt kit and waterpump on my classic a month ago or so and to be honest it's not that bad, I didn't need any special tools at all and took me about a day (I know some people on here can do it quicker but I like to take my time).

It cost me in total best part of about £300 for parts, which was cambelt kit (idlers and tensioners as well as belt), waterpump and thermostat.

Yes something could go catastrophically wrong if you get the timing completely wrong but to be honest, line up the cam pulleys and you should be fine.

PM me if you need a hand or anything .

PS.. The hardest and longest bit was keeping the cam pulleys in the correct place while putting the new belt on.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

I had this guy change mine a few years back, in fact he did a load of work on mine, he used to have a scooby and still works on a few members cars

Dean Larkins http://www.larkins-autoservices.com/
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for your recommendations guys, very much appriciated but I have just been speaking to our resident mechanic C.J who has kindly offered his services one weekend over at his. So I shall purchase a new belt and will hopefully be changing it by the end of the month with he's guidance.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 PM
BANNED USER

Are you just replacing just the belt or kit and waterpump too?

Last edited by RCS2810; 02-07-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS2810 View Post
Are you just replacing just the belt or kit and waterpump too?
I'm not sure tbh how much or what will need changing. I've been advised to go for a dayco or a gates belt but do I go for a kit or belt on its own ??

Problem is what with a lot coming up in the next few weeks family wise and commitments I can't really go balls out and start spending hundreds!

I need to speak to alyn at Asperformance and see what he would recommend.
I don't think ill bother doing the water pump, was thinking along the lines of just the belt and pulleys.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 PM
BANNED USER

I personally wouldn't bother going through all that hassle if your not going to change the kit and waterpump. If the belt has 30k miles or 6 years under it so do all the bearings in the idlers and tensioners etc...
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorscooby View Post
Problem is what with a lot coming up in the next few weeks family wise and commitments I can't really go balls out and start spending hundreds!
I need to speak to Alyn at Asperformance and see what he would recommend
Best plan
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

On the Phase 2 engines I would recommend changing the cambelt tensioner, as the plunger has a habit of going soft once it's been compressed to remove/refit. You have to make sure it get's compressed in alignment otherwise the seal gets damaged and it fails soon after. You then get knocking as the tensioner bounces on it's end-stops.

I believe two cams also freely rotate once the belt is off which can cause shims to move (what I was told not experienced).

Personally this is one job I would give to an expert, and rely on their skill and 'warranty' should anything go wrong.
I had a nasty (and expensive) experience on my 3-door Cosworth, and that only had 2 cam's to worry about.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 PM
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
On the Phase 2 engines I would recommend changing the cambelt tensioner, as the plunger has a habit of going soft once it's been compressed to remove/refit. You have to make sure it get's compressed in alignment otherwise the seal gets damaged and it fails soon after. You then get knocking as the tensioner bounces on it's end-stops.

I believe two cams also freely rotate once the belt is off which can cause shims to move (what I was told not experienced).

Personally this is one job I would give to an expert, and rely on their skill and 'warranty' should anything go wrong.
I had a nasty (and expensive) experience on my 3-door Cosworth, and that only had 2 cam's to worry about.
Unless I have the wrong end of the stick its to two left pulleys that rotate freely but only a certain amount.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmmm all sounds slightly worrying now! Don't really know what to do.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 AM
Bronze Member

Give Neil a call at Slowboy Racing Brands Hatch. His pricing is fair and he does know his stuff. He has looked after the RA for me and I have always found him to be up front honest and Ive had good service from him. He also looks after some of SES cars.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

Mountains out of mole hills .
It's a very simple job to do , as said to you it's upto you how much you replace , water pump would think would be ok if it's not got a spare here , tensioner have one here for classic & newage , pulleys have them too but all second hand and working order . The most I'd get is belt , tensioner and pulleys but ill leave it to you to decide
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Hoo? View Post
Give Neil a call at Slowboy Racing Brands Hatch. His pricing is fair and he does know his stuff. He has looked after the RA for me and I have always found him to be up front honest and Ive had good service from him. He also looks after some of SES cars.
Yeah he's fairly close to me so I could drop it off and get it done without any worry or stress that something may go wrong. C.j's a top chap and does know he's stuff just don't want give ourselves hassle if something wasn't to go quite right and there's problems afterwards.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Authorised Trader

no need for a water pump at all, IMO its down to scare mongering by certain unsrupulous traders and people coming from the VAG world where the w/pump falls to bits every time you take a cover off................

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!