South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

Default Smoke!!!

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if you had any thoughts on this one. I had my RB320 serviced along with a new gearbox last week and over the weekend it has started pumping out grey / blue smoke for about ten seconds after starting her up. It goes away no probs but if left for a few hours it will do it again.

Showed the dealer a video of it and as the oil level is spot on from the serivce they dont think it is from the work they done. In fact i did drive it a few times since the service with no smoke so it may be one of those things.

Question is where is that oil being left from in when its cooled down and is it a serios issue.

I dont want to accuse the garage if it is not them but appears to be a little strange!!

Any thoughts???

Regards,

Jay
Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Smoke!!!

can you post the vid up?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

Ill try.....the vid is 18mb in size so not sure if it will upload.....i can try a screenshot!!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:37 PM
worzel

Who did the work?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Bronze Member

Culverwells.....and they have always been really good. Plus we have a good relationship so that helps.

Not sure who else to take it to.....I dont trust Lifestyles in Tunbridge Wells!!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Bronze Member

Managed to put this online. See if you can download it....and tell me the bad news!!

http://www.box.net/shared/i0xep535ox
Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Bronze Member

OOOOOHHH!!

Another vid for you to download!

http://www.box.net/shared/pxr97r5zcn
Old 07-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

get them to take a look.
it could be valve stem seals or even a leaking injector/injector seal

does it run fine on start up i.e does it crank and fire as before or does it take a little longer.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for your reply to this one tech guru! Much appreciated

Runs ok and starts ok. Everything is normal execpt for this puff of smoke. managed to sniff it today....kind of smells 'sweet' if that sounds funny!!

Not the sort of carbon burnt type smell of oil.

So you dont think its normal then?? Posted this on the RB320 site and a couple of guys said theirs do it and nothing to worry about!!

Thanks again
Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay
Thanks for your reply to this one tech guru! Much appreciated

Runs ok and starts ok. Everything is normal execpt for this puff of smoke. managed to sniff it today....kind of smells 'sweet' if that sounds funny!!

Not the sort of carbon burnt type smell of oil.

So you dont think its normal then?? Posted this on the RB320 site and a couple of guys said theirs do it and nothing to worry about!!

Thanks again
"nothing to worry about?". it would worry me no end, my wagon had a little smoke issue on start up at the geo day, smoked on start up and little and every time i gave it a blip!

For me it turned out to be my turbo seals worn and the housing had a slight hair line crack!

Thing is if it didnt do it when it went in and it does now then possibly somethings been done whilst work was carried out on it.
I hate it when things like this happen and your right you cant just point fingers at people and say you did it, but finding an answer as to how when and why its doing it is so stressfull.

Hope you get it sorted soon fella, RB320's shouldnt smoke!!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 AM
MrX???

Will obviously bow down to the more tech people among us,

Have always been lead to believe 'sweet smell' indicates 'coolant', watching the video, it does (to me anyway) appear the same as if there is condensation/damp in the exhaust, seen similar after starting straight after a wash.

If it is 'sweet smelling', possible head gasket???

Certainly needs looking at, be it oil or water, something not right.

hope you manage to sort the problem whatever it is.

Edited to say, could it be no more than it needs a slight tweak on the map?? running rich maybe??
Old 08-06-2009, 12:06 PM
worzel

Prodrive maps are prone to run rich to be honest. The maps also get lazy (not my term, Bob Rawles).

So there could be something in that
Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel
Prodrive maps are prone to run rich to be honest. The maps also get lazy (not my term, Bob Rawles).

So there could be something in that
"Maps get lazy" mmmmmm, interesting subject would like to know more about that! got me wondering how????
Old 08-06-2009, 05:36 PM
worzel

I'm sure Scott can answer that.

But I believe that a lot of bespoke maps (like Ekutec) are learning maps. They are not faultless but they are slightly more "intellegent" for want of a better term.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel
I'm sure Scott can answer that.

But I believe that a lot of bespoke maps (like Ekutec) are learning maps. They are not faultless but they are slightly more "intellegent" for want of a better term.
but interesting stuff
Old 08-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Bronze Member

UPDATE!!!!

Bit of extra gossip....after 400 miles since the service and smoke issue, now the RB has strated 'creaking' on 1st gear pull away...thought it sounded like dashboard..then realised its more than that so tried running with the bonnet open as it also sounded like that as very springy / mechanical ......whilst poking around noticed the intercooler is absolutely cold.

Now i like polishing my engine bits and always noticed the intercooler being hot.....but nothing...no temp at all!!

I am no expert but im sure the intercooler was hot...???? Am I Mad!!!!!

Is this the cause...dont forget i have had a new gearbox which i believe needs the intercooler taking off.

Tech gurus...explain your stuff

Jay

X
Old 09-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

This may sound like something you may of looked at already but have you checked all the connections on the intercooler. Think theres only two to engine and two to the intercooler underneath it?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Bronze Member

Checked connections....appears ok.

Managed to hold the large pipe going into the intercooler after 100mile drive yesterday and that was stone cold... iam sure that pipe with the red hose is normally boiling?? But no temp in it at all!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 PM

intercooler only has air going through it direct out of the turbo.
an intercoolers job is to keep the air cool, it only gets hot through heat soak off the engine.
if you have a quick blast stop then immediatley check the intercooler it will be cold until the engine has time to soak heat into it.
thats why is is not good to rag the car from sitting at the lights for 5 minutes as the TMIC will soak up all that heat whilst stationary then pump hot air into the engine, which looses power and can cause detonation.

have you checked your coolant levels in the header tank (whilst cold).
I reckon something is dripping into one of the pistons whilst stood, then it burns off immediatly at start, this could be and looks to be either fuel or coolant, both will smell sweet expecially if you are running V-power.

Not sure how tech you are but a quick check would be to leave it overnight then pull the plugs out and check if any (or all) are wet.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Crowman

I get a little puff of smoke on start uponce car has sat for a litle bit.
Putting it down to stem seals, mine site for weeks at a time which allows stem seals to dry out.
Not good.
Mine is a 1996 with 80k on clock, so would be very suprised if yours is stem seal probs.
AS Scott said, check plugs for any trace of liquid after sitting over night.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
an intercoolers job is to keep the air cool, it only gets hot through heat soak off the engine.
if you have a quick blast stop then immediatley check the intercooler it will be cold until the engine has time to soak heat into it.
thats why is is not good to rag the car from sitting at the lights for 5 minutes as the TMIC will soak up all that heat whilst stationary then pump hot air into the engine, which looses power and can cause detonation.

I reckon something is dripping into one of the pistons whilst stood, then it burns off immediatly at start, this could be and looks to be either fuel or coolant, both will smell sweet expecially if you are running V-power.

Not sure how tech you are but a quick check would be to leave it overnight then pull the plugs out and check if any (or all) are wet.
Scott, it wouldnt have anything to do with that Inlet control valve seal?? coolant leaking over into the air intake side? just a guess!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorscooby
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer

Scott, it wouldnt have anything to do with that Inlet control valve seal?? coolant leaking over into the air intake side? just a guess!
nice idea and could be.
for those that don't understand, Major is talking about the IASCV gasket (Idle Ais Speed Control) which is next to the throttle body.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:37 PM
worzel

[/quote]for those that don't understand[/quote]

That'll be me then
Old 14-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Any news on the smoke mystery Jay?