South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Chassis Tuning

Chassis Tuning It's All About The Twisties

Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Crowman

Default Trip to JRM Today

Took the scoob down to JRM today
WOW what a set up and what a day.

I had recently fitted a set of BC coil overs to my classic, i had very very carefully made sure the camber bolts were marked and then refitted in exactly the same positions.

Well i have learnt so much today,and it goes to show that if you make any changes to your suspension, be it shocks, springs or just new bushes,then you will never in a million years get it set up correctly.

JRM themselves are a serious set up with an amazing skill set, i was looked after by Mark the workshop manager.
He asked what sort of driving i will be doing, wether i want track type settings, was i concerned about tyre wear etc etc.
The car was then booked in , which involves the car being checked for any marks, scratches, dents etc, you then sign to confirm its been visually checked.
Mark went through all his findings and what settings he has made and what the car feels like now.

The photos of the print outs clearly show just how very bad i had things set up.
I also have a minor issue with a couple of worn rear control arm bushes,but not causing an issue to worry about.
I have however decided to buy 4 x whiteline adjustable control arms which come complete with bushes,so i can have the rear camber slightly more agressive.

The end result is an amazing transformation, a huge grin on my face.

On the Ramps

Before

During

After

A few pics of the place

Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 PM
admin

What a place

So helpful, informative and the difference on the drive home was

Cannot recommend them highly enough after today

And Mark really knows his stuff how he slide the back end out is anyone's guess it sticks like **** to a blanket

Best GEO set up I have ever seen best few hours i've spent for ages
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

You had a nice drive home then.

Was this your first time there, did you see the rolling road set up??

It certainly is the muts nuts.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:09 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Just looking forward to getting mine in now.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Just looking forward to getting mine in now.
I bet mate. Trust me you really should take it to JRM once they have been fitted.
When are you getting them.

Ian
was 1st time down there.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 PM
worzel

Following our chat earlier mate, I can't wait to get mine in!

Spoke to Dave Earlier too and we suspected, he does want to come down there.

Will be getting the Scooby back this week, so the sooner the better really
Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
Following our chat earlier mate, I can't wait to get mine in!

Spoke to Dave Earlier too and we suspected, he does want to come down there.

Will be getting the Scooby back this week, so the sooner the better really
Excelent news about your scoob mate. Bet you can't wait. Let me know when your going matey
Old 07-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Looking forward to see it on the handling stuff next week!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
Looking forward to see it on the handling stuff next week!
Me too, cant wait,whether i can actually do it justice is another thing.Hopefully as the day goes on i will get taught to drive it harder.
Its thecloset ive felt to driving a go kart,love it.
certainly explains why Nige's evo blew me away when he took me out.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
After

Why you got alot more negative camber on the N/S/R then???
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Crowman

Worn bushes mate, Hence why i am going for the ajustable control arms now.
It was all explained to me, rather alot to take in.
Its not going to make a great deal of diference but does need sorting out.
Its more cost effective in the end to go for the whiteline ajustable control arms rather than new bushes and rear camber bolts.
4 of them are £269, hopefully i can swap them out myself,then it will need setting up again.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

How much was the Geo? I got mine done a while back round the corner, 2 printouts the same as yours, before/after. Car pulls to the left slightly still though, not convinced they did it right.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Crowman

They are £75 per hour plus vat, mine took 2.5 hours, they said some are quicker and some take longer, mine was a pretty average time taken.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortster View Post
How much was the Geo? I got mine done a while back round the corner, 2 printouts the same as yours, before/after. Car pulls to the left slightly still though, not convinced they did it right.
Mine did that after it had the geo done (not by Sumo tho). turned out the bracket that holds the steering wheel central must have moved slightly and it made it tug marginally to the left.

Still haven't seen Sumo's place yet, will have to get over there at some point. Martyn - was Jimmy there? If so, did he mention any progress with sorting out this rolling road day?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Crowman

Steve, Jimmy was on holiday but some great news on a number of things, will update you in the meets/ events staff room.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:52 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
I bet mate. Trust me you really should take it to JRM once they have been fitted.
When are you getting them.

Ian
was 1st time down there.

JRM are fitting them. They willl be done when I hear from Jimmy about booking the car on for the bumper. Aparantly he is away at the moment.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 AM
SES Mercedes Division

Nice one mate

How clean is it there!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Nige

Sounds like you had a good day there mate. Things are progressing slowly with regards to the R&R day. Ive given Scott the email i received as Jrm don't normally work weekends. Jrm have asked there staff to put some weekends forward that are ok for them to attend. Ive been pushing James quite hard on this & as far as i'm aware Southeast Scoobies will be in front of the MLR. So guy's priority over the Mitsi boy's ! The Mitsi boy's think i'm a traitor now & blank any post i put up on the MLR... who cares i think there a bunch of arshole's. I may drive a Mitsi but my loyalty stays with Subaru people. P.S. James took me out in his fast Datsun.....bloody hell it made my car feel soooooo slow. I was expecting quick not that bloody quick!!!! Impressed me big time.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 PM
worzel

The Mighty Evo Warrior strikes again

Them old Datsuns are tidy things mate. I had a quick whizz in the GTR black (the one that was brought to Japbash I think) and that goes, so fook knows what a "sumo'd" version goes like

If it makes your Evo look slow, then **** knows what it must be like

Mate, you know how much we luff you over here, even though you defected to the dark side without a "by your leave" like a theif in the night, we are not bitter and twisted........

........... just jealous
Old 19-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Bronze Member

This is just what I want to see. I am in need of new GEO ASAP .

I normally use Curtis at Powerstation but feel a change coming on.

Steve