South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

Default Dead Hawkeye on the drive

Morning all,

Just went outside to head into town and the car will not start. Unlocks fine on the fob, electrics all power up as I would ordinarily expect but when I try to turn the engine over nothing happens.

Last drove it on Thursday without any issue at all. Is there anything I can start to do in order to try and figure out where the issue might be? Waiting a call back from the Subaru garage in the mean time.

I am a little annoyed given it is only just 4 years old with 24k on the clock.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
R
Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

i assume you've tried locking and unlocking the car again then retrying? the newages have to be started within about 30 seconds of unlocking or the immobiliser kicks back in.

(apologies if i'm telling you to suck eggs, but i thought i'd check in case!)
Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
i assume you've tried locking and unlocking the car again then retrying? the newages have to be started within about 30 seconds of unlocking or the immobiliser kicks back in.

(apologies if i'm telling you to suck eggs, but i thought i'd check in case!)
Thanks Steve, at this point any suggestion is a good one! Tried that with both keys as well just in case there was something not working with the immobiliser and the main key.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Regular User

Does it turn over at all? is there a CLICK noise when you try to crank? Do the lights dim on the dash when you try to crank?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf View Post
Does it turn over at all? is there a CLICK noise when you try to crank? Do the lights dim on the dash when you try to crank?
Isn't turning over at all, there is a click yes as well as dash dimming.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Regular User

Then your battery is probably dead. try jumping it?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Will give it a go thanks. Assuming I get it started is there anyway I can check if the alternator is working as it should be?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Regular User

When the battery gets to a low voltage the electrics in the car will still work fine as if its normal but when you try to crank the battery doesnt have enough to turn the starter, so you get the CLICK noice where it trys to turn the starter.

Hopefully yours is just a low battery, wether thats the battery runnng low or something more like the alternator not cvharging properly?

Hope that solves it!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Sounds like a good guess to me...
Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Regular User

When its running at idle, put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and you should see about 14.4V, if its lower the 14v then the alternator is probably in need of replacement.

Or go down to halfords / quickfit and get them to put a tester on it. just dont let them do any work on the car lol
Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmarts View Post
Morning all,

Just went outside to head into town and the car will not start. Unlocks fine on the fob, electrics all power up as I would ordinarily expect but when I try to turn the engine over nothing happens.

Last drove it on Thursday without any issue at all. Is there anything I can start to do in order to try and figure out where the issue might be? Waiting a call back from the Subaru garage in the mean time.

I am a little annoyed given it is only just 4 years old with 24k on the clock.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
R
done the same 2 me over xmas was a dead battery,subaru batterys are ****.AA said get higher crank one,got from halfords £99.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

It lives!
Put in a new battery and all seems fine at the moment. Subaru are going to give it a quick once over early next week to check it is charging properly.

Anyway thank you all for the quick responses
Old 05-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

The batteries dont seem to last much more than four years.

I had to change mine at that age.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Battery, Go to eurocarparts better price than others
Old 05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Defo battery. Mine suffers with this, to the point that now if I am not using it for more than 3 days, I leave it on a trickle charge in the garage. Apparantly the tracker kills the battery. Having said that, both yours and mine are 4 years old, so I guess nearing a new battery anyway.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Regular User

Glad its sorted!