South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Members Car Profiles

Members Car Profiles Show & Tell Your Pride & Joy

Old 17-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Regular User

Default MY2017 STI in blue

So as I mentioned in my newbs thread this one is a pure smiles per gallon machine.
Already someone managed to rearend me at the roundabout, it seems that reports from other Subaru owners are correct, this car has accident (or shall I say idiot) magnet fitted in the rear bumper.
As the car is under warranty I have not done anything to it, except ETS axelback exhaust and Cosworth Panel Filter. Filter brings that more distinct air inhalation sound, and ETS exhaust, well, it brings back rumble (and a lot of it) as the main feature of the car. Wing is the second thing people notice now

I'm going with blue/black/red color theme so visually mostly dechromed,
badges changed, taken away,
air vent grills swapped to piano black (not the centre console though),
burnt tips on exhaust,
vortex generator,
rain guard,
failing miserably with wheel nuts, stock ones are chrome, got myself Gorilla nuts, those things got scratched and started to rust, got mishimoto duraluminium ones, those got scratched even before putting them on with all the protections in place. Now got my eyes on some Project Kics two piece lug nuts, hopefully those work out.
Interior dome lights swapped to blue, license plate lights swapped to blue(waiting to get pulled over by police for that )
Boost gauge cover swapped to leather one with red stitching, looks the ********.

My to do list:
mudflaps (arrived)
front, side and back lip kit from HT Autos (arrived)
rear diffuser from HT Autos (arrived waiting to paint it blue)
Hella Horns (arrived)
New wheels (cannot decide which ones )
CF Seibon bonnet (looking to sell my kidney, one lung and remortgage the house to get one shipped from US )
Get some subispeed taillights and wire them somehow to fit for Type UK STI
Window tint
Might wrap the roof in black, though vortex generator would need to come off.
Need to find out how to wire (enable) DRLs at the bottom to work with C-Lights.
Also looking into sound proofing as well a little bit.

So yeah, plenty of things to do, not enough time and good weather to do it.
I'll try to update this thread with the progress.
Either way, bundles of joy
Old 18-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Regular User

Oh, and I forgot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t__ecs1gvUw

This is Stock vs ETS Axelback cold start sound comparison. In reality its day and night

And from inside:
https://youtu.be/nLWI8UmLm9Q

Filmed with Go Pro, so it adds a lot of low droney noise.

Last edited by muziqaz; 18-03-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 19-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

Looks awesome
Old 19-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemp View Post
Looks awesome
Thanks

Sitting in Kwik Fit as just found out i have a nail in the tire
Old 20-03-2017, 09:51 AM
Gold Member

Where did you buy the axelback exhaust?
Old 20-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Where did you buy the axelback exhaust?
Subispeed.com
But ETS has their own site. You can order from there as well. But for me subispeed made more sense since i had other stuff coming.
Old 20-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Gold Member

Looks great. They've really grown on me since they first came out as I never used to like them but I do now. Think I've been like that with every model since the Bugeye replaced the classic though to be honest
Old 20-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyStu View Post
Looks great. They've really grown on me since they first came out as I never used to like them but I do now. Think I've been like that with every model since the Bugeye replaced the classic though to be honest
I'm the same. All Subarus had to grow on me. Even hatch with some modifications looks ok
Old 20-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziqaz View Post
I'm the same. All Subarus had to grow on me. Even hatch with some modifications looks ok
Think the only one that never has and never will grow on me is the hatch saloon, didn't like that and still don't. I'd be happy with any of the others though
Old 20-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyStu View Post
Think the only one that never has and never will grow on me is the hatch saloon, didn't like that and still don't. I'd be happy with any of the others though
Oh, that forgot about it.
Old 20-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Regular User

Since i can see there are quite a few of us with my model STIs, i have a question about the gearbox.
Mine grinds a bit when changing from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd when cold. It takes half an hour to get gear shifts somewhat smooth, but occasionally even when after long running it grinds. It's nothing major like when you miss the gearshift, but you can feel it.
I know that STI has short shifter and gear changes are very very notchy. That's fine, but once in a while i get that gear grind. When i start the car in the mornings and start moving going into second it's 100% grind. Later on on my journey it's random. As my drive consist busy city commute it consists a lot of gear changes.
All wise internet is saying it's pretty normal for MY2014 onwards STIs, but i thought i will still ask here.
Some mention alternator. Who knows maybe that's at fault. I'm not mechanical guy, so that's all I've got.
Also once warmed up i most of the time out the car into S# mode and shifter suddenly transforms. Easy gear changes and only occasional grind.

Also would it be prudent of me to ask dealer to drain transmission fluid and swap it with new one, same as i done with engine oil after engine was broken in after 1000 miles?

Last edited by muziqaz; 20-03-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Regular User

Hey, I'm back. Been busy, quite few things done:
Hit 1.19 bars of boost (previous was 1.17 )
https://flic.kr/p/TJP7V5
This is just like an indicator of me getting used to the car and daring to drive it harder Still haven't gone flat out, but soon.

Swapped rear badge:
(before)
https://flic.kr/p/S15A1S

(after)
https://flic.kr/p/S15zZQ

Had my hands full with this:
https://flic.kr/p/SvXejf
https://flic.kr/p/SyDhWT
https://flic.kr/p/TdpGi9

And some quality picture of an exhaust:
https://flic.kr/p/TB1yiF
Blue on blue

By the way, my brakes are making this clunking noise sometimes when I press the pedal. Braking is still great (which I was forced to find out couple of times on Sunday, by nearly rear-ending few people), but when I am parking my car at home with less noise from exhaust, I hear the clicks.
Old 18-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Regular User

Some weekend activity.
Leveled exhaust tips, as one side was sagging a bit.
Swapped back to original lug nuts.
Fitted front splitter.
Removed muffler heat shields from underneath the boot.
https://flic.kr/p/TN1XfM
https://flic.kr/p/TN1X5B
https://flic.kr/p/TKBnQu

And brakes are still making this ticking noise while being a bit squeaky at times
Old 19-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Formerly Taomyn

Hey there, sorry meant to reply before when I read your first message about your brakes.

I've not had the noise on mine, the closest to that would be a WRX owner (not an STI) in the US having the clutch make funny noises (turned out it was not properly lubricated when fitted at the factory) but the WRX is different enough to not be related, but it could be something similar I suppose.

I do like those blue-tips, very fancy. What does removing the heat-shields do?

Mine's just hit 10,000km and going in for its first service in a couple of weeks - I did do an oil change at 1,500km so it's not been running on the original oil all this time.

1.16 is the highest boost I've taken mine to according to the display, and I thought I had pushed it. Just shows what a pussy I am when it comes to driving it, but nevertheless it's still great fun. I found a nice route up to the north of Luxembourg the other weekend and it has some very nice roads, a nice hill-climb though I was slowed down a tiny bit by a convoy of bikers having to follow a slow driver, and some nice long-winding downhills. Just hope I can find it again.
Old 19-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Regular User

Heat shield removal saves 50 grams of weight and obviously reduces the vibration resonance coming from my new exhaust. It's like my exhaust is inside of the metal bucket. It's noise is increased by vibration and noise hitting car panels under the boot and that heat shield was perfect aluminium piece to generate a lot of vibrations and resonance.

Regarding clutch and brakes, clutch also clicks when i release it, but it's not very noisy, and i do believe it's normal, as on Subarus you hear every single thing. Brakes they randomly click once when i press the pedal. I will have a talk with dealer sometime in the near future.
Those blue tips are really nice, i was looking specifically for them
I bet road surface in Luxembourg is much nicer than pothole heaven in UK.
Old 19-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Formerly Taomyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziqaz View Post
I bet road surface in Luxembourg is much nicer than pothole heaven in UK.
Oh yes, I always dread the trips back to the UK - it was bad enough in my old WRX, in the STI it's almost unbearable. That's not to say we don't have bad surfaces over here, the country is littered with construction projects and the running joke is that "Luxembourg will be nice when they finally finish it", but they keep on top of it and do repairs fairly quickly.