South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Chassis Tuning

Chassis Tuning It's All About The Twisties

Old 08-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Bronze Member

Default Black STI shocks vs Red/Pink STI

Hi guys and girls,

I have the dreaded rear shock knocking so am looking at getting them replaced.
I can't afford or have no desire to fit after market shocks like Tein or BC etc as the standard set up with some Eibach springs are perfect for my usage.

I'm currently looking around and have hit an issue.
My car is a 2006 Blobeye STI so on the cross over and it actually has Black shocks not pink/red.
So my question is what is the difference and why did they change them, I have been searching around online but have not really found much info so I thought I would try you lot

Cheers
Simon
Old 09-12-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon-Sti View Post
Hi guys and girls,

I have the dreaded rear shock knocking so am looking at getting them replaced.
I can't afford or have no desire to fit after market shocks like Tein or BC etc as the standard set up with some Eibach springs are perfect for my usage.

I'm currently looking around and have hit an issue.
My car is a 2006 Blobeye STI so on the cross over and it actually has Black shocks not pink/red.
So my question is what is the difference and why did they change them, I have been searching around online but have not really found much info so I thought I would try you lot

Cheers
Simon
Black is standard, the pink ones where fitted to Spec-C & S203/204 etc, they where aftermarket "STI" upgrades over and above standard STI fitment gear, (Normally Bilstein internals)
The knocking is a known issue with the rears on the newage age cars, I personally went coilovers almost immediately on buying mine around 5 years ago and had no issues with them since, (yes they are firm but it handles!)
If I had to do it all again, I'd be looking at something like KW variant3 or KW Clubsport to keep some compliance while still having enough capability on track/fast road.. might also be worth Speaking to NL03 Scooby on here, he has just fitted some new "softer" AT coilovers to an earlier blob which i suspect should be an excellent choice for UK roads + occasional trackday.

You can get the rears drilled and a grease nipple fitted, then get them re-filled to stop the knocking. Replacing them is almost a maintenance thing roughly 25/30k miles (if that) on our roads. When you factor in the cost of changing them regularly (the fronts are not much better) then the coilovers start to make a lot more sense.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.

Last edited by Ginola; 09-12-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

My advice would be speak to Alyn at AS Performance he will be able to give you various options at a reasonable price too.
Old 20-12-2016, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys,

Have actually ditched my original idea and decided to go for the Tein coilovers, they seem alright for the money and I plan on keeping the car for a while ;0

Simon
Old 20-12-2016, 09:36 PM
Bronze Member

I have a 04 blob eye sti and mine has red shocks all round not pink or black is this standard? Mine did start to ever so slightly knock so I greased them up about 2-3 months ago seem to be ok still atm... But sure it won't be long haha