South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > Photography Discussion

Photography Discussion All your photographic chit chat

Old 11-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Bronze Member

Default Canon DSLR to Macbook ballache

I have a Canon 400D which I used to plug into my Vista laptop and it would let me transfer photos off it via some Canon software.

I've moved house at least twice since I got the camera and the software CD has gone walkies. Meanwhile I'm now on a Macbook.

I plugged the DSLR into the Macbook for the first time this week thinking they might pair with each other without the software, but no chance.

I've tried to Google for the software I need but all I can find is 'updater' files which require you to already have the CD.

Anyone else got a Canon DSLR to Macbook set up? If so could you make me a copy of the generic CD that comes with the camera? Or point me in the right direction of downloading the whole lot? It's driving me nuts.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM
worzel

Have you been to the Canon website? They usually have downloads available for things like this I believe? I know Nikon do.

Do you intend doing any editing of the pictures at all?

If so, you could always go for something like Adobe Elements which has a downloader straight into the programme.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

I've been all over the Canon site. I would download something, run it, and it would say "this is only for people who have a version of ____ Canon software". I'd hit next and it would say "unable to find any previous versions of ____ Canon software". Did that with like 5 different downloads. Like I said, all I can find is updaters.

I took the photos in jpeg. I am kicking myself cos I used to have a little card reader so I could plug the storage card into that and USB it across. I might buy another one if I cannae get it working.

I think I'll need to edit some pics. It's stuff from Santa Pod on sunday - usual cropping and smudging out of number plates will occur.

I will try Iphoto again tonight. I did have a go and it just wasn't finding any devices to capture/import from.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Bronze Member

Cheers. Just talked to the resident Mac geek in work and he said the same. I also think I was being impatient - he has a Canon DSLR and says it can take iPhoto up to 5 minutes to recognise it.

In other news: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a..._software.html
Old 11-05-2010, 12:52 PM
worzel

Good Job Ron

Glad to see you have got it sorted now. Looking forward to the pics
Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Bronze Member

I gave up on the Canon software years ago and just use a card reader... £10 from Jessops
Old 20-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Bronze Member

Forgot to say - I got it all working. Turns out I was just being impatient and it takes a few minutes for the camera to show up as an attached device within iPhoto!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Regular User

Just seen this,

I know your sorted but If you do want the Canon software send me a PM.