South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 30-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Default Car booked to get arches done

Finally got round to ringing a couple of repair places to sort my rear arches out while I've been unable to drive, one is bad and the other doesn't really need doing but thought I'd get a quote for them both.
£300 to cut out and weld new metal on bad side and tidy up the other.
Result as I was expecting quite a big bill. So booked in for 14th may just before leeds castle. I'll post up some before and after pics and if all is good I'll recommend them on here.
Old 30-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Bronze Member

i will be interested to see you they come out as i own a classic with the same problematic rear arches.
Old 30-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

i'm due to do mine myself in a few months.
It's going to be a complete DIY job, including paint.
Old 30-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
i will be interested to see you they come out as i own a classic with the same problematic rear arches.
No problem mate I'll take some pics and post them up on here.mines going to a place in eastbourne by the main police depot of lottbridge drove
Old 30-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
i'm due to do mine myself in a few months.
It's going to be a complete DIY job, including paint.
Good luck mate, I take it you've got all the equipment to do it then?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Silver Member

yeah, got a gassless mig welder about 15yrs ago so I suppose I should use it
Old 01-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Are you going to make up your own repair panel or cut down a front wing to do it?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

it's not just the outer wing that suffers, don't waste money just tidying the outer wing, because results will be short term
Old 01-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiidaa View Post
it's not just the outer wing that suffers, don't waste money just tidying the outer wing, because results will be short term
Cheers mate, he's seen the car now and I showed him the inner arch which is rusted and he said he's going to sort it so we will see
Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM

Great company here is Iwade, they are spraying my scooby up at the moment - but they have offered to underseal my car, and arches e.t.c. - for not alot of money. That includes full strip down of wheels, arches, exhaust, the lot, clean the whole underside of the car properly, then underseal it, and put back together. Might be companies that offer this to help the problem coming back.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Are you going to make up your own repair panel or cut down a front wing to do it?
i'll cut two secondhand front wings. I will see what the inners look like when i start work on it. if they ain't to bad, I plan to treat them, seal wherever the water is getting in, then spray waxoil inside the wing.
I have some steel plate spare in case I need more than just the donor wings
Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

There will be enough spare steel in the wings to allow you to make up an inner arch if required, will have the added bonus of having the lip on it as well if you use the rear of the arch from the wing.
Old 15-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Ok getting a bit worried now, they have promised I will get the car back tomorrow, just went to take a look and he's explained there has been a repair before and was done with filler, I take a look and half the wing is still missing, do you think the car will be done by tomorrow? I'm getting anxious now. Need to go and see sti Mayhew on sat morning for new tyres and get car ready for Sunday
Old 15-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danwrx View Post
do you think the car will be done by tomorrow?
Doesn't sound like it.....if they still need to weld in a repair panel then paint it'll take more than one day to prime/paint/lacquer to build up the coats and let them dry etc

Just ask them how long they think they still need the car for and see what they say.
Old 15-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Doesn't sound like it.....if they still need to weld in a repair panel then paint it'll take more than one day to prime/paint/lacquer to build up the coats and let them dry etc

Just ask them how long they think they still need the car for and see what they say.
I really hope they do have it ready as don't want to miss leeds castle, I asked him while I was there and he assured me it'll ready by tomorrow. I don't think it will be myself

Last edited by Danwrx; 15-05-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Bad spelling
Old 15-05-2014, 12:10 PM

cant see it - especially if it needs painting - even with oven - it would still need 24hrs to be any good.

Ryan

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 15-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Gggggrrrrrrrr looks like I'm out of the leeds castle meet!! Really pi**ed of now
Old 15-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

If they are working on it and not doing it between jobs, should be done for tomorrow if its in a proper bodyshop / paint shop.......don't give up hope yet
Old 15-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepieman View Post
If they are working on it and not doing it between jobs, should be done for tomorrow if its in a proper bodyshop / paint shop.......don't give up hope yet
Thanks for the glimmer of hope Ron, I really hope your right.i don't know if you know it but it's gone to the place next to the police depot of lottbridge drove by euro car parts. They do have a massive oven in there and he has assured me it'll be ready tomorrow so I really hope so
Old 16-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Ok just been to check on the progress and to my amazement it's nearly finished, it looks amazing (so far) and I can pick it up at 5.30. Looks like I will be at leeds castle after all. I'll post up before and after pics when I've picked it up
Old 16-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

That's impressive
Old 16-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
That's impressive
Sure is, and it couldn't come soon enough as I've been driving around in the vitara since it's been in and my back is killing me (not the most comfy car).
Old 16-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Great news matey !! When you have the time give me a shout and you can ce over and we can spray your wheels in my garage if you want ?
Old 16-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Ok so got my car back and I'm taking it straight back Monday, I know they say you get what you pay for but the work is shockingly sh*t, first looking at it when I picked it up the work looked amazing! but I got it home and took the black plastic arch protectors of to fit my new ones and they haven't even painted under them it's still grey primer! I've got overspray all over my new shocks! wheel arches and they haven't even laquered over the the inter wheel arch as you open the door. Like I say I know you get what you pay for but that is shocking, I'm so piss*d of that my car is going to look really ****e on Sunday and the body shop isn't open till Monday?I'll post pics up in the morning as it's to dark outside and I have been to piss*ed of to take any at the moment.
Old 16-05-2014, 10:08 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

That's a real shame mate. Really disappointing for you. Hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction.
Old 16-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Where did you get the work done?
Old 16-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife2 View Post
Where did you get the work done?
Got it done at the body shop of lottbridge drove between the police depot and euro car parts.
Old 16-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That's a real shame mate. Really disappointing for you. Hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction.
So do I mate, I just can't believe they have done it, I'm a self employed carpet/upholstery cleaner and I would never dream of leaving a job in the state they left my car in, the car has spray paint inside on the plastics, seats and floor.
Gggrrrrrrrrr, on the up side at least I can still come to leeds castle
Old 16-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

What's the name of the company? I am from Eastbourne also and have paint jobs on my Impreza and Ducati done at Leeds motors. Can't fault them
Old 17-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

That's not on, it's so hard to find a decent body shop, I understand that overspray can get through in places if there covering up has something to be desired! Just go round it afterwards and have a good look round and get any overspray off it's their reputation at the end of the day it's not rocket science! I used to be a valeter for years at various places and one was for a bodyshop, they literally done all the work and I swear they opened all the doors, didn't do any covering up, repaired and painted then just threw it to us for a laugh to get all the excess off, it was horrendous. I'm a tyre fitter now and wouldn't get away with leaving wheels loose so how can bodyshops do this and it all seems to be the norm??
Old 17-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sti mayhew View Post
That's not on, it's so hard to find a decent body shop, I understand that overspray can get through in places if there covering up has something to be desired! Just go round it afterwards and have a good look round and get any overspray off it's their reputation at the end of the day it's not rocket science! I used to be a valeter for years at various places and one was for a bodyshop, they literally done all the work and I swear they opened all the doors, didn't do any covering up, repaired and painted then just threw it to us for a laugh to get all the excess off, it was horrendous. I'm a tyre fitter now and wouldn't get away with leaving wheels loose so how can bodyshops do this and it all seems to be the norm??
Exactly mate, and like I say, I know I didn't pay top money for the job, I still expect the job to be done properly, you will see it today Craig, tell me what you think lol