South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 22-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Regular User

Default Tyre Choices / Descisions

Hiya,

Firstly, I am 99.9% certain on my choice of tyres, Hankook K115 Ventus Prime 2.

The dilemna I'm having is whether or not I buy them mail ordered and try to find somewhere/someone to fit them cheap, or if I buy them with fitting etc included. I have a friend that works in a garage, but after they have charged me for the fitting & balancing of the tyres, it would work out more expensive.

What do you guys normally do? Bearing in mind that I am not trade, and only have a small garage & selection of tools. Is there a simple method to do them from home, and then take them somewhere for balancing etc?

Any ideas, suggestions, hints or tips greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Old 22-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

You'll never get the tyres on or off without a proper tyre fitting machine, even with a set of 3 foot tyre levers you'd struggle and you'd only end up knackering the rim, tyre or both. Worth finding your local independent tyre fitter and see what they'll do for fitting them on loose wheels and if you get rid of the old tyres.
Do you work for a company that has a staff discount scheme, I've used them in the past and got a worthwhile discount at places like e-tyres and Blackcircles.

Shane

Last edited by Red Baron; 22-11-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling!!!
Old 22-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

As above. Find a local independent they may do the lot for £20-£40 for cash.
i havn't bought from a high street tyre shop for about 15 years.
Old 22-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Bronze Member

I know a company that do it £10 a wheel balance them and put a new valve on for u. And that a small on its own company I would say go that way to get ur tyres done
Old 22-11-2012, 05:02 PM

i tend to order mine online and get a mate I trust to fit them. I have 19 alloys on my golf and they are a pig to do if you have tyres with stiff sidewalls. I trust him to do his best without damage the alloys, especially as OZ SuperLeggera's are no longer available.

Failing that I would just go somewhere that seems to be good and you can trust. I have had tyre places balance wheels before and to be frank, have been rubbish, having to go to my mates and rebalance them myself.
Old 22-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Ive used severai on line places in the past Camskills are very good.

Not sure what size you require but have a look at these.

Skullfudge that has a P1 really rates these:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p..._Noise%3A_70dB
Old 22-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I am definitely going to get them fitted locally, just depends if my friend who works at a garage can get them at a good price and isnt too busy