South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Members Car Profiles

Members Car Profiles Show & Tell Your Pride & Joy

Old 13-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Regular User

Default 700 horses, 1 jockey (gobstopper replica)

So after a year of trouble free motoring from my first project build with big thanks to an awesome build from API and CPA.

I have decided to go for it again, but where do you go from 535bhp - 600 na its been done by loads now and it appears that 650 is the new 450, so its time to try and join another elite club.

Welcome to the new project - 700 horses, 1 jockey.

over the next few weeks i will keep you updated on parts and progress who's who in the build and where thanks are due for parts, labour and technical information.

The First huge thanks goes to Rich from Launch motorsport who has supplied the original engine. if you've no been guys its well worth visit, launch motorsport are geared up to help with your projects from a routine service to a bespoke build.

Second big thanks goes to Olly and the team at RCM their time and advice has been invaluable in making me realise that this is not going to be quick or easy and to make sure we 'buy right buy once'.

so lets get on with this and post up a few pictures of parts to wet the appetite (after all isnt that what we all love).................
Old 13-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Regular User

The engine is total gob stopper spec with the WRC o ring gas conversion. in a nut shell no need for head gaskets. Rich from launch originally comissioned its build but due to business and time constraints just hasnt got the time to dedicate to this build. to that end i bought the engine off Rich and started the process of stripping down the bits to see whats what. for those interested the spec includes.

2.0 Litre closed deck subaru block
RCMS extreme arrow rods
RCMS 79mm steel billet crankshaft
RCMS omega flat top nitrous pistons (coated) compression ratio 9.5:1
V4 STi cylinder heads with WRC/RCMS O-ring head gaskets and gas rings
One piece Nimonic exhaust valves
One piece stainless inlet valves
RCMS uprated valve springs
Plasma nitrided titanium spring caps
RCMS 72mm throttle body
RCMS 14mm head bolt set
WRC Trimetal main bearing set
WRC Spec big end bearing set
WRC Crankshaft thrust bearing
RCM Modified oil pump
RCM Individual coil packs
WRC Valve shin bucket conversion

and to give you an idea, this is what that looks like

Old 13-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Regular User

now by far this biggest benefit to this build is the engine block modification. basically a groove is machined into the top of the cylinder bore and a brass ring inserted into this ring. this brass ring is grooved and sitting inside this is a hollow aluminium ring which will squash when the heds are bolted on, this then makes for a much stronger seal than a head gasket.

The other big machining job is to the heads where the oil ways and water ways have to be cnc machined out and a specially formed o ring sits into this groove to seal these. the heads have obviously also been polished and ported, larger valve seats created and brass valve guides added.

you can see from the third picture that our decision to strip the engine and check the build quality was justifed as there was a small mark on the face of the head which Olly and Matt clark were concerned about and had machined out for me. Despite being a brand new engine there was also an exhaust gas leak on valve number 4. that was reseated
Old 13-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Regular User

As stated the reason for this kind of attention to detail that only comes from RCM is that done right the engine will be able to cope with 3 bar boost without any issues.

So the power plant has been secured and we now know is in a condition good enought to easily cope with our target, so what other upgrades are needed and who would we use.

To be honest i've been so pleased with my previous project for both quality and reliability there no way i would trust anybody else to assemble all this than CPA.

For this build to work every aspect has to be improved so we started with intercooler choices, did we go ATP- no longer available, HYPERFLOW MONSTER- nice but very dear.

Again Rich came to our rescue with the answer, one off custom build huge intercooler capable of handling huge boost and designed specifically for the classic shaped impreza.

To give an idea of its size (and it is huge) i took the following picture.

obviously this is going to take some serious work to get to fit but we will get there.

with the like of RCM, Launch, API and CPA all assisting on this project i really feel in good hands and know i'm going to be pleased with the results.

The air from this monster intercooler will be passing through bespoke pipework which we have already got one section completed.

including the nice touches for future upgrades such as the nitrous blow off valve

leading to the only choice really in my book, a gobstopper throttle body again bespoke built from a solid alloy billet and precision engineered for flow

And with such high performance parts on board it was only right we went for the best of the best again and bought a rotated magnesium inlet manifold. We opted for the eight injector set up for reliability and tuneability. I could not believe the quality of the cast of this item, how light it was and how smooth internally

Old 13-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Regular User

The next big topic of conversation on this one will be the choice of turbo.

The gobstopper runs a twin scroll GT40 so logic dictates thats where we should be, however talking to Olly and a few others he doesn't think it would make for a good road car. Twin scroll also involves a shed load of work compared to say a GT35.

for that reason we will start by going GT35 as some impressive figures above 700bhp (thanks madhammer for all the advice) have been seen with the scooby clinic Billet wheel ones.

if it doesn't provide enough wind for where were going i suppose we will have to bite the twin scroll bullet.

more pics to follow....................

well here she is were going GT35 with a 1.06 housing. strange choice in some peoples eyes but we have our reasons.....

Old 13-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Regular User

We had a project meet last week and have decided to go with a completely stripped engine bay look, bespoke hidden wiring loom, battery relocation, fuse box relocation, if you havent seen the car before, the washer tank is already in the boot and the ABS/Aircon has already gone.

this is how my engine bay looked last week at 535bhp

Old 13-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Regular User

As you all know skullfudge, you prob know that he does loads on photoshop.

here his one for this project.

Old 13-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Regular User

Few more purchases in last few days. looking to go 8 injecors fed by top feed new age fuel rails and a fuel distribution block.

got a picture of two of the rails and the block.

Question you guys can help me with is what pumps to use to get the fuel there and what injector size. I was looking at 8x 650cc or 4x 550cc and 4x 800cc. any advice in this area would be appreciated.
Old 13-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Regular User

I have decided today that i live way too close to RCM, popped in today whilst passing had a quick chat with Olly and Matt and left with the following.

really please with the quality but cant believed there so pretty and will be put behind a cover.
Old 13-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Regular User

Shock horror discovery over the past few days!!!!

I have sold the intercooler off the car so removed the front bumper and splitter, my front grill was held on by cable ties and i though thats funny.

Then what did i find, OVERSPRAY!!!!!!!!

had an issue with a local garage over christmas where the car had been stored and they were unavailable for a number of days (apparently on holiday) so i was delayed a week in getting my car back....... it would now appear that it might have had a slight and i do mean slight dink during that time, headlights have been changed, HID kit is missing and oil cooler and intercooler has overspray on it.

Cant see any actual chassis damage or twisting to front panel. Inter cooler and rad are perfectly fine so presume it was high up, breaking lights and scuffing bumper.

Luckily at Chrsitmas CPA came to my rescue and drove to Leicester from Bristol and collected my car for me from the other garage.

ah well suppose its more reason to give her a little more love........
Old 13-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Regular User

well not posted for a couple of weeks if not a bit more as we have been busy stripping the P1 and selling the bits on.

this has then allowed me to make a few more purchases.

we started with discussing the benefits of a fuel cooler and thought that every little helps

To nitrous or not to nitrous was the next big question that we had to answer, the decision was to get the car on the bottle.

so with that in mine we were able to pick up the following

We then started to discuss of all issues safety, as in cages, fire walls,Extinguishers and the such. all this started to add up and the P1 option start to look an expensive one.
Old 13-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Regular User

After discussing shell options for what felt like an eternity we remembered a shell that we had all admired from afar and that had been stood for almost two years.

After a few quick phone calls we had secured a viewing and when we arrived were not disappointed.

this is what we ended up buying

As you can see it has the wrc steel wide arch conversion, tubbed inner arches, side exit exhaust tunnel, firewall and cage already installed as well as airjack tubes.
Old 13-12-2011, 05:30 PM
worzel

Shaky, this is a superb looking build. That is one great amount of quality posted above. I for one am so looking forward to the updates to this project thread.

Superb stuff matey.

Old 13-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Regular User

So that's about it to date fella's, hope I haven't bored you too much or come across as a knob with too much money, this has actually taken 8 months to get to this stage.

Clive said some of you had asked so i thought i would post for all to see.
Old 13-12-2011, 05:36 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
So that's about it to date fella's, hope I haven't bored you too much or come across as a knob with too much money, this has actually taken 8 months to get to this stage.

Clive said some of you had asked so i thought i would post for all to see.
Mate, you won't get any of that "too much money" bull**** on here, lots of people appreciate a really good build and what goes into it. It's builds of this calibre that give us minor modders ideas for progression in the future.

Just keep the updates and pics coming
Old 13-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Regular User

have also bought a couple of other bits which i thought i had posted on here but i'll stick them on now.

There is also a bit of history going into the car, the part below is the actual GS back bumper that won time attack. Will be used as a pattern for the new diffuser.

Old 13-12-2011, 05:41 PM
worzel

What is the carbon item in the top picture, of the post above?
Old 13-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Regular User

I'm going to try and do some of the work myself and had a list as long as my arm to get done so i though i would go down to CPA and crack on.

Decided to take my 6 year old lad to see if he would or could help in any way.

I set him to work with a screwdriver removing the defi boost module

I then showed him how to remove the rear lights

After about half an hour i thought to myself he's gone quiet, whats he up to, so i went to the rear of the car and he was no where to be found, I looked everywhere but couldn't find him. :blink: Just as panic was about to start up i heard a familiar tune. This is what i found.

Kids of today !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Crowman

Wow, what a start to a thread, Your engine bay at 535bhp is stunning.
Really looking forward to watching this progress.
Briliant stuff
Old 13-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
What is the carbon item in the top picture, of the post above?
It sits in the passenger side front footwell and contains the nitrous bottle and dry sump tank mate,

Ask Clive he trod on the RCM one. Olly if your reading this you can have mine for 10k....
Old 13-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Bronze Member

wow thats one nice build you got going there mate, looking foward to the updates in the up and coming months
Old 13-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Regular User

There will be a few choices different to the stopper after all I plan on having it road legal and as drivable as possible hence the turbo choice.

The next few bits to buy include the subframes and hubs, we will be going version 10 as the ones on the stopper are a fortune (hubs alone are 10 grand) and knowing me i'm bound to bend it at some point......
Old 13-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Bronze Member

Awesome matey , I can't wait for the next installment.
Old 13-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Regular User

Cheers Krissyb, bit of a whistle stop tour I will keep you all updated on here, warts and all.
Old 13-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Nice one mate.

There are a few guys in this club that knock out some awesome photos (like really good photos).

When 700 Horses / One Jockey and P2 are finished we could all meet up somewhere suitable and have a photo shoot of both cars together.

Couple of evening shots and all that bollox,
Old 13-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Holy cow what a project
Old 13-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
Nice on mate.

There are a few guys in this club that knock out some awesome photos (like really good photos).

When 700 Horses / One Jockey and P2 are finished we could all meet up somewhere suitable and have a photo shoot of both cars together.

Couple of evening shots and all that bollox,
yeah defo mate, you know me its all about sharing the love..........xxx
Old 13-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

fantastic thread read matey wow what a car that is going to be
Old 13-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Good work, this looks like it'll be a bit of a weapon when completed!!
Old 13-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Regular User

thanks guys, not sure its going to be a quick project but i will get there.

Olly told me he's always disappointed at how many projects don't get finished, apparently people spend thousands on parts and he never see's an end product.
Old 13-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

Damn amazing mate, i am really looking forward to seeing this to the end...
Old 13-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Nige

With P2, 7+1 & Jaffa's, & Jgm's beast there are going to be some very quick Scoobs. There's only one way to sort it "FIGHT"
Old 13-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
With P2, 7+1 & Jaffa's beast there are going to be some very quick Scoobs. There's only one way to sort it "FIGHT"
Dont forget about JGM's beast..
Old 13-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Projects that never get completed are as high as 75% I read somewhere and it's not until you have a project that you realise why.
Old 13-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

very nice!!!!

www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Please follow of Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jolly-...26125404073166
Old 14-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Dont forget about JGM's beast..
Amended doh!!!:faint:
Old 14-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Rest in peace Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Amended doh!!!:faint:
I am only aiming for low 9 to 8sec quarters so not fast.. making it handle is going to be the real task!!

www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Please follow of Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jolly-...26125404073166
Old 14-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

So far basically the spec of dreams!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 14-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Hows this mate?

Old 14-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster View Post
I am only aiming for low 9 to 8sec quarters so not fast....
What actually counts as 'FAST' then!!
Old 14-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster View Post
I am only aiming for low 9 to 8sec quarters so not fast.. making it handle is going to be the real task!!
Wow Simon,

Low 9 or an 8.......... not fast.

I only hope I can change gear that fast....lol, knocking on now you know.
Old 15-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice mate, looking forward to more updates
Old 15-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Gold Member

very nice mate!! saw this the other day on 22b epic!
Old 16-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Regular User

Thought I would just post up my latest purchase, Had this hand made and when it turned up I nearly fell over, No doubt you lads will appreciate a good piece of welding.

and up close

in case you had not guessed its the oil tank for the dry sump......
Old 16-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

That's work of art
Old 16-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

holly fook that should be hung on a wall
Old 16-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Was it J-Steel who done the welding mate ?
Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Regular User

Well as you know these project take time and along the way you hit a number of issues that you need to overcome.

I for one have three phases to my project, i'll give you a little insight into the other two strings to this bow.

the first is this

complete rolling shell version 10 sti, should give me the 114pcd hubs and extra width that i need to fill my arches nicely, she was delivered today so will soon be being cut up for parts.

The third leg of the journey is the truck.

coming along nicely too, were cutting off the existing back and making her as flat as possible.

so its not just about time spent on the main project shell, there are so many other pieces to have in place for a project like this to work. :thumbup:
Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Regular User

Well, whilst we were all putting weight on over the Christmas period I decided that the P1 needed to lose a little bit more.

So we closed the shutters down, And started on the doors.

If you have never felt the weight of a door you would be shocked.

The motors and wiring has been taken out and any excess metal has been cut away we then drilled out the spot welds being careful not to drill through the door skin and started to cut out the side impact bars.

We can still fit an internal door panel with what's left but estimate we have lost about 10kgs per door.

you would not believe how nervous Josh was doing this to his boss's P1 doors !!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Regular User

Thanks to the generosity of another member on here we have been able to move on in leaps and bounds with relation to the wiring loom for this shell.

I knew an actual replica Gobstopper wiring loom had been made but had also been sold on.

I have been able to locate the loom and have bought it back, so the car can be as intended.

the loom is complete and also included the following

This will all prove to make the job so much easier.