South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Regular User

Default The VIN is not registered with the VRM supplied

Hi all,

I wondered if you could help.

I looked at a 2004 Impreza WRX today and really like it, I said that I definitely want it but didn't hand over any money at the time.

I am just performing a check on the HPICHECK website and it states "The VIN is not registered with the VRM supplied" the VIN is JF1GDAKD35G049971. I wondered if somebody could help decipher this as I am clueless.

Thanks
Jason
Old 06-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Could be that its just had a recent reg change and the system is not updated yet?

Try checking using just the VIN to get details, should see if theres any plate changes registered.... possibly the plate its got now on earlier history as most revert back to the old plate....
Old 06-03-2016, 08:18 PM
Regular User

I have looked at the HPI Check and can't work out how to check with VIN number only, it keeps asking for the Vehicle Reg?

Thanks
for your help
Old 07-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Bronze Member

try a different hpi company if poss ,, i had same issue when i picked up my scooby ,, used a diff co and it all tallied up and i got a refund from first place for the hpi that didnt work - it almost stopped me from buying the car at point of purchase as money was counted and on the table but wasnt handing it over till hpi check passed

2005 wrx300 2.0 with ppp - SOLD june 2015

daily driver - new astra 136 elite nav - GONE THANK GOD

DAILY DRIVER 2019 - BMW 220d xdrive active sport

fun - v6 shogun swb - FOR SALE @ April 2019 - £2000
Old 07-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
try a different hpi company if poss ,, i had same issue when i picked up my scooby ,, used a diff co and it all tallied up and i got a refund from first place for the hpi that didnt work - it almost stopped me from buying the car at point of purchase as money was counted and on the table but wasnt handing it over till hpi check passed
This could very possibly be the case here, a friend did an HPI check by mobile for me today and it adds up fine...

Old 07-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Bronze Member

cool glad it shows on the system albeit with a different hpi provider - presuming thats not the full report but in section showed it doesnt say anything about finance owing or not etc ,, defo always worth going for a reputable hpi check with full details and preferably insured against getting details wrong at time of hpi as opposed to some of these textcheck hpi types ,,, just always best to protect yourself fully and even if it costs a bit more use a reputable well known hpi company as im sure you do

god knows why this issue with vin happens but i know for sure it does as as i say it happened to me - when i sold my scooby the next buyer also did a hpi check and it went straight thru so it was defo the hpi co i used the first time did not have all the info needed for whatever reason as it subsequently passed two hpi checks no problem

so you might be buying a scooby now then huh

2005 wrx300 2.0 with ppp - SOLD june 2015

daily driver - new astra 136 elite nav - GONE THANK GOD

DAILY DRIVER 2019 - BMW 220d xdrive active sport

fun - v6 shogun swb - FOR SALE @ April 2019 - £2000
Old 07-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Regular User

Thanks, The first hpi check was a full one using the reg number from hpicheck so very comprehensive. It was just this one little bit that had me very worried.

With that now cleared up I should be picking it up early next week. I need a few days to sort out getting rid of my current car and I am away at the weekend. I can't wait to get back in a "drivers" car rather than a soulless family runabout.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Regular User

OK, I have a couple of updates.

Firstly don't use hpicheck.com lol. This morning the report said "VRM not recorded by insurers as a 'total loss'. Now it states "VRM recorded by insurers as a 'total loss" and "D - Vehicle damaged but repairable - the insurer decided not to repair".

I tried another HPI check with the same result "Total Insurance Loss (Write-off)
Recorded as a Category D insurance write-off on 21 Jan 2012".

Subaru head office sent me this..."Subaru Impreza VIN JF1GDAKD35G049971was not imported by Subaru UK Ltd it was originally sold by Subaru's representative in Malta and as such we have no record of applied registration numbers."

And finally the Subaru dealers they told me that had worked on the car previously told me that they didn't have any concerns with the car, the VIN they have registered is JF1GDAKD35GZ049971.
The dealership told me that they did a full check and MOT in August 2013 and all was fine, they have sold it a couple of times and they have serviced it and done some minor work (Turbo gasket, air valve, radiator, engine temp sensor) all in 2013/14.

Looks like I'm going to have to keep looking! I was set on this one too.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

Buy a blue one anyway
Old 08-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Regular User

That is exactly what my wife said when I was going to look at a silver one I am not overly fussed on the colour, all of the enjoyment for me will be from the drivers seat anyway!
Old 08-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Sounds like a close call!

From personal experience buying a WRX can be a false economy, worth the extra in the long run to get a STI!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 08-03-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Sounds like a close call!

From personal experience buying a WRX can be a false economy, worth the extra in the long run to get a STI!
Def agree with the sound advice above - save up a little more and go STi - you won't be disappointed

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 08-03-2016, 03:02 PM

I'd be about £8k better off probably if I'd just got an STI to start with!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 PM

I'll agree with the sti comments, I thought a wrx was good for me, then practically converted mine to a sti, cost a fortune. Should have have saved a bit longer.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 08-03-2016, 03:39 PM

I'd probably still be on the original engine if I'd gone STI from the start - WRX's don't like 390BHP!
Old 08-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Regular User

Thanks for all the comments. I am not in a hurry, I will be getting an MOT on my current car this week so it will do until I find the right car.

I am happy with 200+ bhp and I know that a WRX will happily and easily take up to 300. I am more after torque and acceleration than top speed, with a proper exhaust and after being mapped I have seen WRX's at around 5 seconds to 60. As a car that will only be taken out at weekends and at most 4-5000 miles per year is there going to be that much in an STI over a WRX? I don't live in a very insurance friendly area either...
Old 08-03-2016, 05:08 PM

Theres a lot to consider:
Gearbox the 6 speed is much stronger than the 5 DCCD is a bonus as well.
Brakes the Brembos are much better than the 4pots.
Interior - the STI is a nicer place to be with the Alcantara seats.
Engine - the STi has stronger internals and better cams and turbo (plus AVCS depending on age)
Old 08-03-2016, 07:57 PM

They are very different cars to drive, the WRX is more relaxed and not as sharp to drive, (softer suspension as well as all of the above mentioned differences,) the STI is much more focused to drive, test drive both before you buy anything would be my advice, if you do plan on modding to 300 or above then I would save and buy an STI to start with. The WRX brakes are woefully inadequate at that power level for starters and the standard 5 speed clutch will also start to complain if driven too aggressively.

How often do you get out of London?

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Regular User

Not planning on going above 300, but we all know plans can change. If I get the bug to go any higher than I would look at selling up and getting an STI. Just looking for a bit of occasional fun but remaining practical at the same time. I will be doing around 4000 miles per year, with a combination of London driving and motorway driving - M25 / A1M / M3. Also have 2 kids and a wife who are normally in the car with me, so comfort is a factor.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post
They are very different cars to drive, the WRX is more relaxed and not as sharp to drive, (softer suspension as well as all of the above mentioned differences,) the STI is much more focused to drive, test drive both before you buy anything would be my advice, if you do plan on modding to 300 or above then I would save and buy an STI to start with. The WRX brakes are woefully inadequate at that power level for starters and the standard 5 speed clutch will also start to complain if driven too aggressively.

How often do you get out of London?
Really must look at sorting better brakes myself..........

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 10-03-2016, 09:09 PM

Just good pads Ryan, or PFC discs and pads for yours if you want something a little more serious, ask Ian what he thinks

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.