South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Studio > Meet / Event Pics & Vids

Meet / Event Pics & Vids Post all your meet / event pictures here.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:48 AM
Gold Member

Default World Rallycross Championship R4 2018 – Silverstone

I wasn’t planning to go to this event, but I had a last minute offer to get to Silverstone for the second day of racing, so I took it!

Few of my favourite photos:

As well as the fourth round of the World Championship, the event also hosted the first round of the Americas Rallycross Championship. After watching a lot of the GRC coverage the last few years, it was great to see both the SRT USA and Andretti Beetles in action.

None of the drivers in the World Championship are exactly sloppy, but the precision from the two PSRXVW drivers was astonishing. Both Petter Solberg and Johan Kristoffersson were consistently skimming the tyre stack on the inside of this corner lap after lap.

Both the Beetles were fast, but it was Tanner Foust who was marginally quicker and he went on to take the win in the Americas Rallycross Championship final.

Andrew Jordan took a break from commentating to drive an MJP Racing Fiesta. Unfortunately misfortune in the qualifying races dropped him down the standings and he didn’t make the semi finals.

After topping the standings on day one Petter Solberg was one of the favourites for day two. A collision (with his team mate) at the start of the first World Championship semi-final ultimately led to retirement for Solberg. I really hope Petter gets a bit of luck this year, as he is fast enough to take a win!

The jump certainly made for some cool moments, but it claimed a number of victims over the weekend.

No, rear wheel steering is not a permitted modification!

Both the EKS RX Audi S1’s were very quick but, yet again, poor tactics in the final saw both Mattias Ekstrom and Andreas Bakkerud held up. Despite that, the weekend was still the strongest performance from the team this year.

Despite looking a bit battered after the contact with Solberg, the Polo of Johan Kristoffersson was absolutely faultless in the semi-final and final. Kristoffersson took his third win of the year and with it increased his lead in the Championship.

Have to say that I was impressed with the organisation of the event at Silverstone. I think the circuit could do with some tweaks though and the ticket prices really need to come down as I know a lot of people who missed the round for that reason. Hopefully those changes come for next year!
Old 04-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Great photos as ever mate. Didn't know Chris Atkinson was in rallycross these days, good to see he's still driving for Subaru!
Old 04-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Great photos as ever mate. Didn't know Chris Atkinson was in rallycross these days, good to see he's still driving for Subaru!
Yeah, Chris Atkinson has been driving for SRT USA for the last couple of years. Atkinson and Patrick Sandell are the main rallycross team drivers, SRT USA were running a third car at Silverstone for David Higgins.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Bronze Member

Superb photos mate.SJ.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Yeah, Chris Atkinson has been driving for SRT USA for the last couple of years. Atkinson and Patrick Sandell are the main rallycross team drivers, SRT USA were running a third car at Silverstone for David Higgins.
Blimey, now there's a name I'd forgotten about. Sandell fell off the road in front of me spectating on the Halfway stage of Rally GB, 2009 i think. He was in a Skoda then, I had to get muddy down the ditch with a load of other speccys to pull him out.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member

Cracking photos!
May I ask what camera / lens you use and at what settings?
Trying to get into a bit of photography

Simon

Tein - Enkei - Cosworth - Toyo - H&S - RaceDynamix - Godspeed - Performance Friction - Hel - Pro-sport - OMP - HT Autos
STI 2006 Blobeye
Old 05-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonejedi View Post
Superb photos mate.SJ.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Blimey, now there's a name I'd forgotten about. Sandell fell off the road in front of me spectating on the Halfway stage of Rally GB, 2009 i think. He was in a Skoda then, I had to get muddy down the ditch with a load of other speccys to pull him out.
I have got so used to seeing him associated with American rallycross I actually forgot that he used to compete in rallying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon-Sti View Post
Cracking photos!
May I ask what camera / lens you use and at what settings?
Trying to get into a bit of photography
All of the above were taken with a Canon 60D and Canon 55-250mm lens. Mixture of settings used, but most of these were shot in shutter priority mode at speeds between 1/80 and 1/160, ISO 100 and some negative contrast applied for when the light was very bright.

If you view the pictures in their album on Flickr you can see the EXIF data for each photo. I started off taking pictures mainly using the "Sport" mode, then moved to the shutter and aperture priority modes using settings from pictures that I liked on Flickr as a starting point. Once I had a handle on that I moved to full manual, which I am still trying to teach myself now!
Old 11-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Cheers!

All of the above were taken with a Canon 60D and Canon 55-250mm lens. Mixture of settings used, but most of these were shot in shutter priority mode at speeds between 1/80 and 1/160, ISO 100 and some negative contrast applied for when the light was very bright.

If you view the pictures in their album on Flickr you can see the EXIF data for each photo. I started off taking pictures mainly using the "Sport" mode, then moved to the shutter and aperture priority modes using settings from pictures that I liked on Flickr as a starting point. Once I had a handle on that I moved to full manual, which I am still trying to teach myself now!
Awesome thank you

Tein - Enkei - Cosworth - Toyo - H&S - RaceDynamix - Godspeed - Performance Friction - Hel - Pro-sport - OMP - HT Autos
STI 2006 Blobeye