South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > Events & Meets > The Ring Zone

The Ring Zone The area for the Annual S.E.S Ring Trip. Plus all the information you will ever need on the infamous Nurburgring.

Old 24-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default Germany clamp down?

Interesting?

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-g...-the-ring.html
Old 24-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

My friend tried to register his carefully modified FSTi over in Germany and gave up.

He even bought a second, wholly standard one to try to smooth the passage!

The authorities were a total pain from how he describes it, so this doesn't surprise me.

If the local plod take this view around the 'Ring they'll do a great job of chuffing up a lot of businesses!
Old 24-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

If it gets all like that, it won't be worth going again. The roads surrounding it are as much, if not more fun than the ring itself. Let's hope it's a one off....
Old 24-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

The guy lives out there as has a German address but uses a UK car. So they probably think he is more German based then UK based.
No different to the UK if you drive a foreign registered car for long periods in the UK. I seem to remember on the news or a 'police stop' programme a UK guy trying to avoid UK VOSA regulations with his French plated Renault.
Old 24-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

Interesting! Spoke to a German friend and he advised that it was probably pulled for being considered unsafe or too loud. Pretty much the same as what can be carried out in the UK too. The MOT is only a snapshot in time and if your car is subsequently considered unsafe or you're causing a nuisance you can still be prosecuted. I'd be interested to see if the post is updated with the exact legal reason why it was pulled.

Registering a car from the EU in another country can also be a pain - I seem to remember there was a good write up on BTG on the RX8. If it's standard it's less of a problem - if it's modified it can be very involved. If it's somewhere like Switzerland it's virtually impossible!
Old 26-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
The guy lives out there as has a German address but uses a UK car. So they probably think he is more German based then UK based.
No different to the UK if you drive a foreign registered car for long periods in the UK. I seem to remember on the news or a 'police stop' programme a UK guy trying to avoid UK VOSA regulations with his French plated Renault.
Ah i see. Puts a completely different perspective on things then.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28199383

Slightly off thread topic but coming for 2016..........
Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

To be fair, their roads are so good I wouldn't mind paying £10 for the privilege whereas if I came from Germany and got charged to drive on our terrible motorways I'd be a bit annoyed.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
To be fair, their roads are so good I wouldn't mind paying £10 for the privilege whereas if I came from Germany and got charged to drive on our terrible motorways I'd be a bit annoyed.
if they could keep the police to a borderline existence too, that would also be great
Old 30-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post

Completely wrong.

It was me by the way.

I live in both countries and have a UK address and life a German address and life.
Also the UK registered car, the Subaru, only ever spent a few weeks here and there in Germany. It is now completely a UK based track car, as I can not be bothered with the hassle to take it over any more.

The upshot was.
Car released
970Euro fine
No prosecution.
(Took the advice of my buddy who owns a German legal practice that specialize on defense on how to play it. So the above was the best result)
Old 30-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Wow, that's some thread revival!

Now, about this track car... lets see some more on that please.
Old 31-01-2015, 12:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig View Post
Wow, that's some thread revival!

Now, about this track car... lets see some more on that please.
Kind of rarely surface on here lol
And here I am tapping away at night

I now have an oil sponsor - so those stickers need to go on. Plus an RIP for Simon
It still has too much power for the suspension set up. More thought needs to be put into that area by people who know these things. Apart from that it is pretty well much finished
A few odd and sods to do as always - For example, I am not happy with 4 point harnesses would be safer with 5 point.

It will be at the BHP show at Lydden in May

As far as you guys go. The chances you will get any trouble with the German plod are so remote, it is not worth thinking about - the worst case scenario is what I have outlined above. The loudness of the exhaust is the excuse they will use to get ****ty with you as that contravenes some kind of EU wide law apparently.

Couple of pics

Last edited by brightonmunich; 31-01-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 31-01-2015, 05:58 AM
Gold Member

Excellent pictures.

Now I've seen the pics it's all piecing together. I know this car. I've seen it at Dan's place loads of times and talked about the updates to it!
Old 31-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Regular User

It lives in all sorts of different places

Unusually it has spent the winter up in the black country at my very good Buddy Mattys place for lots of fabrication and weight saving ect. Hoping to get it to Chevron for the suspension set up but might not have the time or the money quite at the moment. I know Simon at Chevron has given it a once over at Mattys.

It will surface at Dans again sometime very late Feb probably. For an upgraded gearbox mount. One of those last little bits that need sorting.

All the best
Steve

Enjoy the ring when you go